Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blaze's Sci-Fi & Steampunkish Heads

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
Hello,
just wanted to showcase something I did last year.

The project started as a bunch of gigeresque t-shirt designs I was making in free time.
But at some point someone told me that there would be a SF & fantasy convention in my city and that perhaps I could display this kind of artworks there.
So I contacted one of organizers.
They liked the idea and said it was a shame I didn't come earlier cos they probably would've wanted to hire me to do stuff like posters etc.
We decided on 12 50x50cm prints and 2 70x70cm prints.

The problem was, I had only 10 days to finish everything.
At that point most of pics were rather sketchy and low res.
So I worked like crazy and just stopped when there was absolutely no time left.s

The theme of convention was Cyberpunk & Steampunk so I wanted to make 7 sci fi heads and 7 (sorta) steampunkish heads.
In the end I had to use more sci fi ones since I got more of them done.
I was also hoping to add some color (and all kinds of other things) but there just was no time and organizers liked b&w versions.

So here are some photos of the exhibit, taken by my dad:

IMG_3769.jpg
IMG_3770.jpg
IMG_3794.jpg
IMG_3782.jpg
IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg
IMG_3811.jpg

Design of some pieces admittedly isn't very well thought of and some recycling is visible but under these circumstances I'm happy with what I managed to achieve.
I must say it's awesome to get to see your art in physical form, even if it was born from pixels.

Here's a few of digital versions:

BK_SteampunkHead4_70x70.png
BK_SFHead7_70x70.png
BK_SFHead4.png
BK_SFHead3.png

(as you can see I didn't even have time to finish cleaning up the backgrounds :\ )

Thanks for checking!

Replies

• jonjon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    These are awesome! Such a cool idea for a project and it's awesome that you got the chance to display them the way you did, you should see about selling some individual prints online. They're so well done especially considering that you were pressed for time. You've really captured the gigeresque look, it'd be really interesting to see some full body designs :)

Great work, well done!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jonjon!

I do make full body character designs occasionally, I'll probably make a separate thread for it.

As for selling, I have been thinking about that (though I know it would be mostly just pocket money) Do you by chance know any sites that offer relatively good conditions?
    There's one guy who has a startup company that aims to sell high quality t-shirts designed by professionals. He wanted me to get me onboard, however the conditions he's offering to artists are pretty bad. He wants exclusive t-shirt usage for design(s) and split profit 15% for artist 75% for him.
    Though when I looked at other t-shirt sites terms weren't great either.

Anyway, here's one more head:

BK_SteampunkHead5.png
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    These came out great man. (y)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool and creepy! Congrats.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys! :)
    I made an updated color version of one of paintings, also with a background.
    I basically aimed for something that's not monochrome but has a color subtle enough that it retains the feeling that b&w versions had:

blazej-kaczmarek-bk-steampunkhead4-70x70-color1-small.jpg?1437499554

It can also be seen on my artstation:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/clockhead-iv