Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Throne of Games - benmerrick3d

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
benmerrick3d polycounter lvl 12
Hey,

So I haven't ever really posted on here and have been waiting for an environment competition that interests me that I found out about at the start of the competition, so here it goes!

My idea is a Video Game Paradise Throne Room- essentially a gaming chair, retro games, consoles, figures, etc.

I have the idea in my head for how I want it to look and will block it out in the next week.

I thought of this the day this got announced but never got round to posting up my idea- I just looked through the titles on all of the pages of these and didn't see one that seemed to be the same idea so I am happy :)

Replies

• benmerrick3d
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am going to share my inspirations/styles a bit more now. The main style reference is this wonderful image by Toni Bratincevic:

boy.jpg

I am not going to go full steam punk style, but I like the level of grime and the fact that every shape and material has interest- rather than just doing really clean shapes and styles. I guess it is a bit similar to WALL-E's collection room, but again not quite as dirty/damaged:

Wall-E_Cubecolors.jpg

The content will be something like this, but less organised and more 'used' with less of a museum feel:

post-7982-0-34648500-1349117250.jpg

The main feel of the room is 30 year old video game collector/player's room that is dedicated just to games. There is his well-worn gaming chair in the middle, pizza boxes and junk food cartons strewn around, many video games piled up with models/collectible characters and posters everywhere.
    The room will have a lot of dust in the air which will allow strong god rays, etc.

I'm not going to do a concept to show this but I will have a detailed whitebox done over the next week- I just wanted to share my ideas now so everybody knows what I am going to do :)
  • WarrenM
    Nice! LOVE that first image. Just ... YES! :)
  • benmerrick3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I loved it when I first saw it in 3D world years ago. Hopefully our scenes will look quite different in the end :)
  • benmerrick3d
    Offline / Send Message
    I have collected all the reference I need so far and have started blocking out an initial idea of some of the main shapes in the scene to test how lighting, post, etc. will work in Marmoset Toolbag.

Throne_WB_01.jpg

I have decided to try Toolbag for this scene as I love what it does for single meshes and I am yet to try a full scene in it so it will be interesting.

The programs I am planning to use for this scene are:

Maya,
    ZBrush,
    Photoshop,
    NDo and DDo,
    Substance Painter,
    Marmoset Toolbag.
  • benmerrick3d
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been ill and had a busy week at work so haven't had the chance to do as much as I would have liked, but I'm starting to replace the simple boxes with some shaped white boxes:

Throne_WB_02.jpg
  • benmerrick3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to post something to show I haven't given up! I wanted to wait until I was at a stage when the models were showing some details. I have also watched loads of videos and testing Substance Painter and Designer and I am extremely impressed, and even got some colleagues at work using it now too :)

Here are a selection of the models that are ready for the detailing/texturing (the details don't come out well from a printscreen from Maya!):

Throne_WB_03.jpg

There should be lots of updates coming soon as its now the exciting part!
  • benmerrick3d
    Offline / Send Message
    I was testing out some Substance painter stuff in the last week as I wanted to try and get away with using some models that I hadn't taken into Zbrush and applying Substance effects to them. If I wanted to just do it for the competition and build everything to the camera view it would be fine, even quite close up they looked good, but I want to make some really nice portfolio high res models too so I've been Zbrushing.

Throne_WB_04.jpg

A lot of the mesh is hidden as its a WIP sculpt, and a lot of the details dont show up as its just a quick screen grab- I just wanted to show an update on the kind of style the final models will be :)