Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] FPS Project

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys,

I'm finally back into the swing of things. Before I left for my honeymoon I decided I wanted to try and make a game. Even if it's a single level or a vertical slice of a game, I would still try to make one. I've been teaching myself some C# in unity and have built a few things but now I'm taking everything I've learned and all of the tutorials I've gathered and putting in them into a single project.

While at home I'll be doing all of the coding and I'll update this thread once I have something to share, I'll be doing the art for the project during my lunch periods.

I've started some of the art style tests already. I wanted to make something that was easy to make and didn't take forever to create. So I'm going with a low poly approach with a very simple texturing style.

panels_concept.jpg

panels.jpg

crate.jpg

These are all rendered in max at the moment. Here goes nothing! I'll update this thread as I progress and once I get my unity web demo up and running I'll post it as well. As always Comments and Critques Welcome

Replies

• deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update for my game project. I wanted to try something with the textures and wanted to try some desaturated colors with bright gold, not sure if it's going to work in the end.

Pickups.jpg
  • LSheridan
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    Are those powerup/pickups? It's hard to know how they could be improved without having an environment underneath them.

I like the style you're texturing in though, and would love to see what you do with the environment.

Sidenote: your Portfolio link sends me to your stuff on the asset store.
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    @LSheridan Thanks for catching that! Link should be fixed now.

I've got a small update this week. I've put a bit more time into the tileset, still needs ceilings and some support structures, but it's getting close.

Screenshot%2B2014-08-22%2B06.45.47.png

On the code side, I've got health and armor pick ups working. I've got the player dieing if they take too much damage. I've also got a super hacky shotgun working.
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Hermit,

Yeah I'm thinking for now I'm just going to do diffuse maps, I might add normals with Ndo2 later. Main reason is I'm trying to keep the process as speedy as possible.
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a lot of good progress this week. Weapon system is done, Player inventory is done, primitive ai has been started. Now to wrap up some weapon art and the tileset and I'll be feeling good! Next thing though will be creating the code for the rocket launcher and the grenades then doors that open when you have key cards.

weapon_pickup.jpg

guns_enemies.jpg
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew it's been a crazy year! I'm finally getting back to this project. I've started to lay out some logos and I'm working on finalizing the shotgun so it's 100% complete.

tumblr_nh7zntGCal1qa3ftuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nh7zntGCal1qa3ftuo2_1280.jpg

Also here is a webplayer demo of the shotgun at the moment. I still need to clean up the animations and tweak when the brass ejection happens.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Very inspirational post, thank you.
    I'm always try to get some enviroment done and always struggle on the projects scale. :(

Seems I have to learn more modular workflows. ;)
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the unity webplayer to represent the latest version. This week I'm going to be working on some FPS hands and crates for environments.

arena.pixelgraffiti.net
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a good week of work. I've got the HUD all programmed up and working for the most part. Few things left to do like the player taking damage and what not.

I also wrapped up the super shotgun and got that to where I wanted it. I wanted to take some time to put some environment stuff together, so I can start to develop the levels look and feel and test out some movement.

So I made some crates!

tumblr_nhw39y9dCn1qa3ftuo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhw39y9dCn1qa3ftuo1_1280.jpg

What FPS doesn't have crates, haha. Everything looks flat because I have no lighting in the scene at the moment. Next week I'm going to take some time and mess around with the lighting a bit to see what I can get looking good.

Comments and Critques welcome, next week I will also have a new web build up.

Cheers!
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to post and update to the web build. Watch out enemies have way to much life right now. I need to adjust that and some collisions so you don't always spin, and I should really add the locking cursor script, so I apologize if you get spin crazy.

Link here.
  • rbong obong
    Offline / Send Message
    rbong obong polycounter lvl 8
    how did you learn c++
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    @ rbong obong , I don't know a lot of C++, just some basics from high school. But I've been slowly teaching myself and going through tutorials on C# and the unity game engine.

Also fixed the locked cursor issue!
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I just noticed in the web player the jump seems rather short.
    Is it just a temporary input for the jump?

Also, I'm liking the boxes, those are some nice boxes.
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    @SaboR1996 Yeah I'm continually tweaking the jump and collision stuff so I'll be tweaking it more and more. Thanks for the feedback!

I have some more in progress screen shots of a few things here. I've got some generic fps hands made, not animated yet but they are placed statically on the shotgun.

I've also made the blaster and I'm working on some switches for the environment.

I have some basic AI shooting at you in the last screenshot. All of this can be seen in the webplayer build. As always feedback and critiques welcome!

tumblr_ni9xvdzLK31qa3ftuo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni9xvdzLK31qa3ftuo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni9xvdzLK31qa3ftuo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni9xvdzLK31qa3ftuo1_1280.jpg
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_niloniP8SK1qa3ftuo2_1280.jpg

I didn't have a ton of time to work on things last week. I did make the map a bit more exciting and got the keycards and doors in there.

tumblr_niloniP8SK1qa3ftuo1_1280.jpg

I'm also working on some switches, started to texture them last week and hoping to have them done this week. Progress continues!
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Some small updates here. I've got my blaster up on the unity asset store and Started to work on my machine gun.

e6104510-1111-4696-89b2-a1dee0d95b59_scaled.jpg

tumblr_njdki1gVhT1qa3ftuo1_1280.jpg

I've also updated the webplayer with my latest AI. Feel free to try it out and let me know what you think! I know there are some bugs here and there that need to be fixed but if you notice anything super weird let me know!