Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - VFX

[Riot Art Contest] - Steven Russell

Time to crack my knuckles, roll up the sleeves, and get to work on some great new VFX for this game! Been part of League since Season 2, and I feel like I've had some ideas I'd like to make that I've always wanted to contribute or throw in a contest like this!

----

Whelp, now that I've had some time to work and put together some of the screen shots of WIP stuff, it's time I share em!

Replies

• Mr.Nuget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Nuget polycounter lvl 6
    what Vfx are you planning in making? like for what champion?
  • Divital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to crack my knuckles, roll up the sleeves, and get to work on some great new VFX for this game! Been part of League since Season 2, and I feel like I've had some ideas I'd like to make that I've always wanted to contribute or throw in a contest like this!

Whelp, now that I've had some time to work and put together some of the screen shots of WIP stuff, it's time I share em!

----

First Effect: Dark Exorcism

The first effect is an ultimate redone for Karthus based on the Black Mist. (Little reasoning as towards why I did this effect below.)

When the Harrowing this year came, I was really interested by this Black Mist concept of how the Shadow Isles traverses Runeterra, and I realized that if souls are getting ensnared and trapped in the Black Mist, and if Karthus is a converter of souls brought to the Shadow Isles, why not allow him the ability to convert his enemies through summoning the Black Mist?

Instead of giving him a global ult, I decided to give him a large AoE ultimate with huge burst damage, then a DoT afterwards in terms of visuals. The concept is that Karthus summons up three ignited pillars, each contributing a flame towards a summoning circle for the Black Mist, which bursts the earth below dealing massive damage (as the build up/wind up takes a while and is quite visible), and the Black Mist cycles and swirls around captured players, damaging them over time as the Black Mist blasts their souls out from under them.

D0EeV0C.jpg

CG9YwWs.jpg

----

Second Effect: Destiny Rework

This second effect encompasses Twisted Fate's ultimate, Destiny, trying to make it more dynamic. (Like the last effect, a little excerpt on why I chose this effect is below.)

I've always loved the Magnificent Twisted Fate skin. The whole card magician feel of it all was fantastic compared to all the other skins, and I always wished there was an update for some of his effects when his model got the update in 2012 to make the skin feel more unique if not legendary. So I decided to turn his ultimate into a disappearing act - not a poof of smoke, mind you - but TF actually pulls down a man-sized blank card, steps into it, and rides it off to the next location, stepping off.

Referencing the original teleportation Twisted Fate has in game, I was unable to get that feeling of "this teleport feels freaking cool," so I decided to give it some additional parts to add to the visuals of it. Essentially, TF blinked in and out of reality at the osund of someone giving a coworker the slap treatment, and I wanted more than that. What if he had some huge card to transport in by? Maybe have a beam of light to the next location? Using these ideas, I remade his yellow, red, and blue cards in Photoshop and developed this effect for his ultimate, feeling more like he's hitching a ride rather than slapping out of reality and smacking back in like a glitch.

XMnOd4Y.jpg

lutU78N.jpg

VKJbIt9.jpg

----

Screenshots and videos uploading...

Side View
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhlDsbW2WyM[/ame]

Front View
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFyGZB3tgUw[/ame]

3/4 View
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAj3yjrPpp0[/ame]
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRVnsntdles&feature=em-upload_owner[/ame]

PS: Don't mind the late time - moved the TF Cards to a new post. Too big for this one.
  • Divital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For fun - Twisted Fate Cards!

TSGc3v0.jpg
    2QNeFQQ.jpg
    Es6OxpW.jpg