Home General Discussion

Including this in an environment artist portfolio?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
visoutre polycounter lvl 6
Keep in mind this is regarding a junior position and the applicant would have little to no industry experience.

If an artist designed and created their own game demo from the ground up, would the employer care? While the portfolio should primarily have relevant artwork for the position, including concept art and design work in another section shouldn't hurt?

It seems like it could be a plus to at least bring it up in an interview as it shows dedication to a project and a passion for game development as a whole. However I'm concerned if it gives the wrong impression (especially to the larger studios) that the applicant is too generalized and has a lack of focus. Smaller studios may appreciate it more since their employees have to adapt to more roles?

Maybe it's better to keep these projects to yourself as a hobby and just work on killer art pieces?

I know I need to improve my enviros way more, so I'm focusing the majority of my attention on them. But as for actually presenting the portfolio I'm torn between how much of the other stuff I should show or leave out.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I'd have it on your portfolio in a separate section. If they think it's relevant they'll look at it.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    For me that'd be a huge plus. It shows that the applicant can't just make pretty art, but can also get through all the inevitable problem solving required to make a game. Very valuable skill in my opinion, even if the position is just for a "pure" artist.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm I'm on phone so I'll keep this short. If it looks good and is cool, slot it in the last slot on your portfolio main page. I have a character in my folio but I see no reason to remove it or hide it just because I'm trying to get an env art or prop position.

None of the interviews i ve had have mentioned that my character (well bust) shouldnt be in there. If its good work, its good work.

On a side note you should post it up so we have an idea of what you're talking about for those of us who are lazy :D
  • visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks for the opinions. For now I'll consider including them at the end.

I have a link to my portfolio main page in my signature, but here are direct links to the concept section and the game:

Concepts: http://dariksmith.carbonmade.com/projects/5088296
    Game: http://dariksmith.carbonmade.com/projects/5435078#1

Keep in mind parts of my portfolio are still in development (texturing) and the game is unfinished. By mid-next year it was my intention to polish things up. The concept art is pretty much what I would include since I don't have time to work on more 2D work (that I would show).

I don't think it's bad but it probably doesn't stand out either (both 2D and game work) which is why I'm unsure if it will hinder or help. People were telling me I had a better chance at a smaller studio with that work. I just brought this up on polycount cause I heard from some pros in an audio interview that the industry won't care. What do you guys think?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Damn dude. Those game screens are pretty sweet :D

A quick critique though. For the 3d Enviornment Art & Assets, instead of..

THIS: http://cmmedia.a.ssl.fastly.net/23511554/960x518/resample%28lanczos%29.jpeg

use

THIS: http://cmmedia.a.ssl.fastly.net/26179777/960x400/resample%28lanczos%29.jpeg

It's like 100x more interesting than a door and cross in my opinion and first impressions on folio sites are everything.

GL dude!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, game design experience is very, very relevant to an environment artist. That term is really losely used, but it can range from someone who makes crates and dumpsters, to someone doing full on level design. At the very least, showing design skills is a huge positive as it shows you understand how the design phase works even if you're only doing art content, which means it will be easier for you to communicate with the design team. Having more design responsibilities is often an upward career trajectory for an environment artist as well.
  • visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info guys. It's nice to know the design side is an upward direction. My favorite part of enviro art is the block-in and composition stage. So I'll keep the design on the side in case it pays off someday. I guess doing design work related to the architecture or layout would be more useful for an enviro person than working on game mechanics though.

Hopefully I can boost my environment skills in the next few months to impress an employer. As cool as working on a solo game is, working with a team would be way better. It's crazy how many problems there are to solve, it's like a never-ending tidalwave of to-do lists. Even if you fully intend to work hard at everything, priorities gotta be made eventually.