Home Marmoset

Trouble opening some .tbscene files

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BagelHero interpolator
My home laptop sometimes struggles to open previously saved scenes. Sometimes it just crashes, and sometimes it will open, but...
54912ad32142a.png

The first time this happened, I had just assumed Toolbag had crashed due to having lots of high poly objects in the scene (I had saved it off at work and re-opened it on my laptop), but the second time it opened for a second, let me move some things around and navigate, before going like this again. This is a few more times down the track, but a few of these scenes haven't even been that heavy. Could having too many textures or separate meshes cause something like this?

I can save, open, import, etc when it's like this, but it crashes when I try to open a new project using the keyboard shortcut.

Toolbag also crashed and locked up my comp while was writing this post, but I had tried to open a 350mb scene to test this and I'm honestly surprised my laptop didn't catch fire haha;

Thanks in advance-- not necessarily looking for solutions, but I'd like to know the reason behind this one. Getting a little irritating to have to set up the same scene so many times, and it would be good if there was just a best practice to avoid this happening.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Just in case, can you open a scene, let it crash, and then email the log file that's generated to us? the log file can be found in "App Data/Local/Marmoset Toolbag2/log.txt". Email it to support@marmoset.co

Thanks man!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I'll get that to you guys ASAP! I'll try to reproduce the less frequent lock-up-after-a-few-minutes version, too, but failing that I'll send a log of the smaller scenes that fail to open on my end. Thanks for the quick reply!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    No problem. just remember that the log over-writes each time you open toolbag. so you'll need to grab the log after a crash. don't try multiple crashes and then get one log for all of them.
  • EarthQuake
    If you could get us a copy of the scene that is crashing that would be helpful too.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Took me a bit to get around to (darn holidays), but I threw some files (the scene and accompanying crash log) your way, sorry if I missed out on anything I was supposed to send.
    :)
    Thanks a lot for looking into this.
    EDIT: Orrrrrr, Toolbag 2 crashed, which made a script on the gmail page crash which caused the email not to send. Sorry, give me a bit.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    No problem BagelHero.

Most of us are on holidays as well right now, so apologies if it takes a little longer than usual to get back to you.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Alright, finally managed to sit down and send this. I had a bit of work to do beforehand, and lo and behold the weird still-able-to-interact-but-UI-locks-up-and-screen-goes-grey-after-a-while thing reared its ugly head after a crash while loading a texture. Cool. So I sent that off, too.

And hey, I absolutely understand any delay that would come from anyone taking some time off due to the holiday season. :) I think it would be more worrying to me if someone replied right away at this time of the year, haha.

EDIT:
    Fun note: If I crash enough times in one sitting, Toolbag stops opening scenes and gives me the grey screen regardless of whether or not the scene itself is fine (if I restart, I can open the scene).