Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Ghosts'N Goblins

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Thierryart polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys!

Let me present you our last project: Ghosts'N Goblins

Ghosts' n Goblins is a school project that was completed in seven weeks with a team of 8 people.

We had to recreate the classic game with a next-gen look in Unreal Engine 4.

Video:
[vv]114403399[/vv]

Screenshot:
mf1XmSd.jpg
DZZWS1E.jpg
fDP7nHR.jpg
H9Ulwrp.jpg
tWTXpw1.jpg

Screenshot of the characters will come shortly!
feel free to ask for more!
Thanks!

Replies

• zberry
    Offline / Send Message
    zberry polycounter lvl 9
    Great atmosphere! Very spooky, reminds me of the Souls series.
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice job! I actually like the herky-jerky oldschool feeling animation and styling of the face.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You've got some really nice things going on with your environments and lighting. Pretty impressive for such a compressed time period.

Loses a couple of points for not having him take a hit, leaving him in his boxer shorts though.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna be honest, this really lacks the charm and character of the series that holds this name. Nothing really stands out about this to me. Sure, it's impressive graphically, especially for a school project, but the minor things that would have helped, such as goofier sound design and more exaggerated movement animations, aren't present.
    9/10 it's okay.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks like it could be scenes out of (or at least similar to) Bloodborne :O Great work!
  • KustomZero
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    Gonna be honest, this really lacks the charm and character of the series that holds this name. Nothing really stands out about this to me. Sure, it's impressive graphically, especially for a school project, but the minor things that would have helped, such as goofier sound design and more exaggerated movement animations, aren't present.
    9/10 it's okay.

Sorry but it think your rating is a bit odd? 9 out of 10 and you think it`s okay? An okay would be around 5 to 7 but thats just my two cents.

I like the art style very much, but i think the character isn't really well done. Especially the Animations are killing it for me. So given that i rate it in three categories.

Level Art 9/10 -> really well done :)
    Character Art 5/10 -> The Maincharacter lost all his charme from the original game and the animations are really really bad.
    Cinematic 6/10 -> The shots are ok, nothing to special

Overall I like it but you there is a lot to improve
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    9/10 it's okay.

I think its awesome..... 2/10

Seriously though I only just saw the vid, must've missed the link as earlier I only saw the environment screengrabs XO The character and overall animation could definitely be improved, they are kinda letting down the piece which is a shame. Although again as mentioned before, the environment work is great :)
  • Prism
    same thoughts here, the environment looks amazing. I like the way the ground texture is handled. nice detail but not too much. And a lot of places for great compositions.

Sorry to say this but the animations and storytelling hurt the overall impression quite a bit. I hope you can go back and do a clean video of the environment with some fitting music and slow camera movements that do it justice. Seeing as you are students like me i can guess you don't have the time to redo the animations and storytelling.

Also a tip regarding the starting sequence, i read somewhere on poly count to not show game models with super close ups and i think that makes sense.
  • Thierryart
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys
    I agree with most of your comments. It was a very limited time project. Our animator didn't had much time to do the animations because he needed a rig and to get the rig the rigger artist needed a proxy and for the proxy the character artist had to plan their work with the concept artist and etc..

Here are some screenshot of the zombies in the game. Unfortunately, we have not had time to implement more than one zombie because of the time constraint. (not made by me)
    The zombies where's supposed to have red hair like in the original game but in the end didn't get the time to be made.
    kxlVtxH.jpg
    b2Pv2rb.jpg
    UaV5Qwj.jpg
  • CloDevious
    You have won Halloween this year, this looks amazing!
  • VGuerreiro
    Offline / Send Message
    VGuerreiro polycounter lvl 8
    I really liked the mood, the environment art is so good (considering the constraints). Well done! You have a nice project there!
  • Thierryart
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Here are some concept art that were made for the project by our artist Rapha
  • Bansheesix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bansheesix polycounter lvl 4
    good job guys! really liking it :)
  • Samuraidragon13
    Awesome! I really like the lighting and the environment. It would be interesting to see it as a side-scroller like the original.