Replies

• Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirhaian polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you! ^_^
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked a few things. Mostly the impact. :)

MGKGzEO.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm considering tweaking the style, to get a better explosion. This will be my ref:

(updated:)
    45XbD1F.jpg

Not sure how it'll turn out, but I'll give it a try. ^^

EDIT:
    =========

I will mostly modify the explosion textures, to stay away from the disney style and come back to Riot's, and the decal, which I'll try to make it look like some black "soot".

Stay tuned~! :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Started to work on the decal. I'll try to make a mix of this one, and the other.

QytZCWv.gif

It's still highly WIP. I'll need to adapt the texture to the global style, and use a better timing. xp
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking a bit better now :)

KxbNsaI.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the full view of the current spell. I'm aware of the impact beginning a few frames too early. Will correct that for the next WIP. :)

mP8urKy.gif

And a closer view on the impact:

5XBvbdf.gif

Now, I'll work on the "clouds" of the impact. I don't feel like this texture fits its role. I'll probably iterate a lot on this. I'll keep you updated, as always. :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, didn't work on the impact yet, finally. xD
    Just a tiny bit. I just completely wiped out the old channeling and made a new one. It's still very early, but you can see what's my idea. :)

ZaT6Ijz.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Small previews of the effect in-game.

s5WnhqP.jpg

OgQtnf5.jpg

RA2XiTC.jpg

rtzAr0D.jpg

cuVcfhO.jpg
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    New .gif:

qq1tYaz.gif

Modified the timing of the channel, as well as added the ring decal. What do you think of the FX so far? :)
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    Watching the build up and the rockets, I don't expect the runes and ring around the explosion site. Not saying it doesn't look good on its own, but I think you'd be fine with just the explosion, scorch marks and residual fire/smoke on the sphere. It just doesn't seem to fit the impact. I like the subtle circular rune under the scorch marks, but my 2 cents is to just have it fade out instead of flashing on the way out.

The buildup has nice pop, and I think the timing of the rune circle collapsing on the sphere is great. Your fire and smoke textures really look like something I'd see in league for the Chinese skin theme

EDIT: The center of your scorch mark gets really yellow and solid, and you lose the sphere in it. I'd suggest adding some more lighter values of your yellow closer towards the center, as the center will be hotter and intense heat in the real world is almost pure white. I wouldn't go pure white with yours, but like I said, just some lighter values. Enough to see a similar silhouette of your original scorch mark, without looking like it's just stamped on top.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for this feedback, I really appreciate it! :D

Here's how it looked like right before I saw your reply:

kIdr8lm.gif

So, in your opinion, I should remove the runes decals ? I will try without them and see how it looks. :) But my base idea was that it'd create a small damaging AOE around the target. A bit like Nasus E. ^^
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    The runes just seem like something more Ryze, and less chinese firework, however that's just my personal opinion on the style.

I do like the round rune in the center, but I think it looks good in your previous gif, where it fades out just slightly after the bright glowing scorch mark/residual heat. To me when it fades out right behind it, it gives a very subtle addition. Like you eye just barely catches it, unless you slow it down or stare at it for a long time.
  • Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    I agree with THendersonVFX, the runes in the impact zone seems a bit unecessary. All the rest look freaking fantastic! You really nailed the firework style with those random trajectories. Nicely done!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! *^*

Here I tried a few variations on this subject.

Without the runes, and without the little flames on the sides:
    J3I7uHJ.gif

Without the runes, but with the little flames on the sides:
    B84s9gh.gif

Personally, I prefer the one with the flames. Makes it easier to read the AOE imo. :)

EDIT: Adding a view on the caster.

whJiepO.gif
  • Gleurk
    You got something that is starting to be really solid here. I really like the build up of the effect the chaos of the different trajectory and overall the art style. However I think that timing, and impact wise you'll get much more strenght if the rockets were launching one by one very quickly instead of a burst. You've got a nice impression of randomness in the trail direction, but as you're using a burst they all die together.

With a quick Gatling firework , you'll still have some residual trail that will help with directionality and design . And also you can build up a chaotic and powerful explosion. And with them not starting and dying at the same time that should help you to get rid of some of your fade out effects that i agree doesn't seems to be necessary.

That was my 2cents.. Keep up the good work.
  • Aerisnoir
    Gorgeous. Also like how it looks on the map.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for my late reply, I had to go through a medical operation. Everything went well, so I'm back in the contest. :)

I LOVE your Gatling idea. See? In bold and red means that I really love it. So, I will do that. Will probably take some time, since I basically have to delete all my rocket keys and make everything again, in a cleaner way this time. :p
    A huge thanks for your feedback. :)

And thank you, Aerisnoir. I'm glad you like the FX so far! :D
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I made the base of the new "system". Prepared the basic keys for each rocket. For now, it's still extremely... well, basic. :D
    I'll add more chaos to the different paths, make something with the "chinese" characters, and a few things.

Here's a first EXTREMELY WIP:

WXGp7br.gif

The timing here is really bad, I know. I will modify it quite a lot. The last rockets paths are barely visible. And the end part of the paths is a bit too fast imo. x)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't seem to achieve what I'd like with that idea, and I'm starting to have less and less time to work for the contest. So, I'll just keep working with the initial idea, but probably tweak it a bit. :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Small art:
    y7qcZUb.jpg

New .gif wip:
    eyQMsXT.gif

Modified a lot of things, and added the god ray effect. What's your opinion? :3
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a bit on the Karthus ult too:

sKJKlk2.gif
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    man really sick work. I love the swirly clouds
    definitely dig the little flames on the sides of the runes

the sp2 084.2 is incredible 8)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! \o/

I don't know what I could improve for now. So I'll just tweak everything a bit. But I think I'm almost done on the two ults. :)
  • C.K.Shepherd
    I really like the texture work you have going on with the fiery new spell. The Chinese New Year firework theme is a great one. I like those stills you get of some of the more impactful moments in your FX.

Some thoughts on the Karthus ability. I don't know if this is final texture work at all or not.

- I feel like the blown out purple glow on the sphere casting the spell lasts a little too long. If it went off faster it would have the same effect without sticking out so much from being on screen too long.

- The blue energy being cast into the sky from the sphere seems a little flat. It's very "pillar-ish" going upward, it could probably use a little more opacity, specifically on the edges.

- The lightning striking the target seems a little stretched and linear for a lightning strike. It should be more "branching".
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback! :D

1) For the purple glow, it only appears that long on the .gif, and I don't know why... ;_; I already reduced its length, and I'll post a new wip soon. :)

2) Ooh, good point! I'll make it look a bit more like the god rays in my fiery fx, using some nice fresnel. Thanks. :)

3) Hmm... I think I'll add some details to it. Maybe I'll add a few planes to simulate more branches. :)
  • C.K.Shepherd
    Of course! It's coming down to the home stretch. We all need feedback!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's probably the last video I upload before the final one.

Waiting for your feedbacks! :D

[vv]113196742[/vv]
  • SteVAI
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :D
    Glad you like it. ^^

Do you have any feedbacks or things you think might be improved? :3
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Final post: the high resolution screenshots.

I probably won't update anymore, since I'm now working for Fresh3D (creators of Outcast) and it takes all my time.

I wish the best to everyone! And thanks again for the overwhelming help I received during this contest. :)

So, here are the VERY HD (5000x2812) screenshots:

3o9qeL1.jpg
    7OGtOMV.jpg
    lNzM6NM.jpg
    e7rNULL.jpg
    Mg0QFZ6.jpg
    299ZFZn.jpg
    ILRGO3C.jpg
    AR3sRZK.jpg
  • Flylink
    Amazing job man! You're thread was very cool to follow! Congrat's man you're 2 spells are very great :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Flylink! ^_^
    I appreciate it! =D
    Entering this contest taught me a lot of things, and it was kind of a lot of fun! :D
  • Pompydom
    Offline / Send Message
    Pompydom null
    Fiery Ezreal, you said?

• Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one. o/

I changed the original design a lot, so it's not really Ezreal's ultimate anymore, but well... ^^

(and god this thread is old...)