Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ian Mckellen Xmen Days of Future Past

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
G-Saviour18 polycounter lvl 12
**UPDATE**

OF7nrq6.jpg

Sup guys, currently working on a bust, might turn it into a full character, not sure just yet, got the zbrush sculpt mostly there for now so thought I'd start posting some progress! Heres the current sculpt, want to have it running in marmoset by the end of the week, looking into hair right now. Feedback most welcome, thanks!

Zr01rYv.jpg

Replies

• Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Wow. The likeness and details in the face are amazing! Could tell it was him before I even read the title.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Lovely sculpting work, the details are awesome :) The suit could stand a little bit more details, maybe some scratches.

Can't wait to see the final version :thumbup:
  • tristanCarter
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Dayum, could you please make the rest of the character? :D
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    YOU SHALL PASS...the likeness test.
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    This is off to a fantastic start! Sub'd!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looking real sharp!
  • G-Saviour18
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support guys, means a lot :)

Kimon: Thanks bro, glad you could tell who it was :)

Crazy_pixel: Thanks dude, yeah might rough in the suit a little more, think alot of the scratches are only surface deep so a lot of it is probably going to be left to the texture.

tristanCarter: makes me want to gandalf this dude!

gloriousczar: would love to, have another character in the works as well which I'm pretty excited about showing soon so kind of just want to focus on the bust right now and then move on with my next character, maybe after that though!

Torch: Thanks bro ;)

oxygencube: Sweet, thanks bro!!

slosh: Thanks dude, thanks for the support you keep giving me :) hopefully get another update on this dude real soon :)
  • G-Saviour18
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP real-time gandalf the white pic, started off as a magneto bust but thought gandalf the white would be a bit cooler, need to do another pass on the hair and a few other things, more to come, feedback most welcome :)

CYw2Vpg.jpg
  • Stockwell
    tumblr_mi9wry6cqa1r331r3o3_250.gif

All of a sudden this is so much more appropriate. Sweet work!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I like the x-men version but this can work too. The hair is much trickier...definitely need more variation in the beard and add more polys to smooth the shape more. also, those strands hanging down appear very unnatural at the moment. Looking forward to the next pass!
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Dude awesome work.
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I know what I want 3d printed for christmas :P
  • G-Saviour18
    Offline / Send Message
    Stockwell: lol i'm very impressionable when it comes to gifs, the gif made me want to do it haha

slosh: yeah I'm fully aware of what you mentioned, need to make sure i give the hair a lot of love. I'll see about getting back to the magneto piece too, once I get this gandalf one done first at the risk of coming off as some sort of ian mckellen fan boy haha

MrNinjutsu: thanks bro!

Xaragoth: i wouldn't mind having my own ian mckellen head on my desk either, thanks!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the beard, i'd do a single plane that goes around the jawline and have that all textured as a single sheet. then have the smaller individual planes over the top to help mask where that starts.

i'd probably do something similar for the hair, think hulk hogans hairline and have a plane similar to that underneath all of the individual planes, then use the individual planes for flyaways and stray hairs rather than try to build up the bulk.
  • G-Saviour18
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks almighty_gir, some food for thought, I'll give it a shot :)
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 14
    Aw man, I liked the Magneto better too. This is still looking good though, great likeness. Good luck with that hair.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    for the beard, i'd do a single plane that goes around the jawline and have that all textured as a single sheet. then have the smaller individual planes over the top to help mask where that starts.

i'd probably do something similar for the hair, think hulk hogans hairline and have a plane similar to that underneath all of the individual planes, then use the individual planes for flyaways and stray hairs rather than try to build up the bulk.

I've considered doing this for my own stuff, wasn't sure if it was the best way to go about it.
  • G-Saviour18
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, havn't updated this thread very successfully, I swear next time I do a WIP thread I'll aim to update it more regularly :poly142: Anyway heres the last WIP screen I took of this gandalf the white character, wanted to post this now as I intend to upload the finished model soon and was just curious to see what you guys think so far.

I've done more to him since these screens were taken, added his cloak and cloak pendant/brooch thingy, and tweaked the hair since. I took the above advice for both the hair and beard by using a textured plane to build the bulk of the hair up and then lots of smaller planes to add shape and depth (thanks for that almighty_gir!) worked a treat!

Anyway I'll post the updated high poly and real-time versions real soon, feel free to let me know what you think in the mean-time, more to come real soon

OF7nrq6.jpg