Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

Darkin Temple

Daniel Duy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
Hi Polycount. So cool to see so many awesome works. I was hesitate but finally I join :poly122:. My idea is Darkin (Aatrox's race) temple, which I try to unify 2 pieces , the Turret and the creep dent. Hope this work.

I Finally done with this contest.There a a lot more need to polish but I still have finals need to finish :poly118:. I wish the contest was on the break so there could be more time. I decided to stop now. This is my best shot and quite happy with the result. Thank you for all the advice, suggestion and support. Merry Christmas :poly136: and wish everyone a wonderful holiday.

Btw, awesome work everyone. So many mind blow submissions that really encourage me to join. If anyone like to do some ARAM after finish, this is my summoner name lionkid158 :poly121:

FINAL

WSR2n0k.jpg

FWnN6HK.jpg

ekvbjne.png

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Yep great design
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much, I'm trying my best here.I finished block-in in Maya, then have a simple AO baked on. I realized only 5 weeks left. Better hurry. Wish there are more time for my school works are still a lot....
    BXXABJu.jpg
  • Cint128
    Offline / Send Message
    Cint128 polycounter lvl 6
    looks great, I like the your use of lines drawing the eye toward the center and statue
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Where is this supposed to fit in the game ? :X
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    This week update. Take longer than I thought. This is the first texture pass, I will polish more when everything come together. Hope I can get in done on time.
    And this is the base turret, where champions spawn, I plan to make the whole area with trees and some architecture...

japT41O.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    looking quite baller, sir
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Holy shit. Haha, just realized you're an art intern at Riot currently.

I'll admit, I was skeptical of your forms at first, but that texture looks to be tying this together brilliantly. Excited to see your foliage come together.

Also I'm terrified, because it'll probably wipe the floor with anything I submit haha.

OH, and a question, it looks like you used a tiling stone texture as your base to pant values over? Or am I mistaken. Just curious, because I've never really thought to do this on a model that wasn't using the tiling texture exclusively.
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I spent my summer at Riot. Now I'm back school. That was awesome there, I've learned a lot.

For the question
    anglorum: OH, and a question, it looks like you used a tiling stone texture as your base to pant values over? Or am I mistaken. Just curious, because I've never really thought to do this on a model that wasn't using the tiling texture exclusively.

Your works is so awesome. I really like your color.
    Yes, I use tiling texture as a base to paint on top. (I use Tiling texture but not stack or scale UV, so I can custom)
    VP5Q5tS.jpg
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    AH, thanks man! I've never really thought to do that, but I might have to give it a shot in the future. Seems like a good way to get past the "Blank Canvas Curse" that I run up against so often when starting a hand painted texture.
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    This week update. Work on floor texture. This is the first pass, I will have another pass to polish and control color of the whole thing. Really scare that I'm running out of time. I will try my best, hope this come out fine :)

f7WPDyJ.jpg
  • JRancourt
    Offline / Send Message
    JRancourt polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice! well done!
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    jesus dude,this is killer!
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    I start working on the tree. Its really hard at the beginning for i have to figure out the color. It's still not done but i'm kinda happy with what it look like now. :).

sxjb1xW.jpg

Then something crazy came into my mind :poly122:. I think that could be cool if there is a aircraft crash into the environment. May be a Yodle like the shop keeper had an accident then crashed and discover the old Darkin temple... Maybe :shifty:

Start with sketch out the aircraft concept then how it look like in the environment.

qHF8LPz.jpg
  • Lilith
    This is beyond awesome, I love it! Can`t wait to see it finished
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    This is a really good progress of low poly work without any high poly as a base...Hope you can get the crashed plane concept in.
  • Hellstern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    Beautiful work. One of my favourite in this contest. ^_^
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much. That's really support me to finish this. I find sometime this week to block in texture for the air plane. This is how it's look like. the focal point and light should be improve soon. Hopefully next week I can go to the polishing stage :poly122:. Properly there will be a lot of unfinished spots but hope I can make this at good shape :poly124:

858hzS0.jpg
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Dude, this is all looking really great. Your time at Riot sure did pay off. Loving your results. Also your little plane design is awesome and if I had one crit at all about it in your scene is that its so damaged and destroyed that you don't get nearly as much of that cool design in there. I wish it was a bit less destroyed, so you could more easily tell what it was before had you not seen the concept.

Also, as a side, you should just model and paint that plane after the contest as it is really cool. :D

Good work man! Really good stuff.
  • mawilbolou
    Offline / Send Message
    mawilbolou polycounter lvl 11
    Looking sweet mate.
    Really want to see that crashed pkane.
    Can we see your textures pls?
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Fantastic texturing work!
    Although i feel like the crashed aircraft takes attention away from the statue. At the moment it has no focal point and my eyes are fighting what to look at first, Maybe if you paint in some more lighting around the area you want to highlight that might help.

Awesome work :)
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl wrote: »
    its so damaged and destroyed that you don't get nearly as much of that cool design in there. I wish it was a bit less destroyed, so you could more easily tell what it was before had you not seen the concept.

Thanks Owl. You're right, the plane is too much damage and I myself hardly tell it's a plane. Wish I have more time, i will redo it. I fixed by make the texture less noise but it's not enough ... :(
    FemCharles wrote: »
    At the moment it has no focal point and my eyes are fighting what to look at first, Maybe if you paint in some more lighting around the area you want to highlight that might help.

Thank you FemCharles, I will enhace the light on the statue soon with the last texture pass on everything. Hope there is time for that :)

I will share the textures when I've done, now they look really crappy. Sorry, I very messy im wip...

Here's the update. Start putting alpha in and change color a bit. Hope it's look better.

JI7VUpe.jpg
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done with this contest.There a a lot more need to polish but I still have finals need to be done :(. This is my best shot and quite happy with the result. Thank you for all the advice, suggestion and support. Merry Christmas :) and wish everyone a wonderful holiday.

WSR2n0k.jpg
    FWnN6HK.jpg
    ekvbjne.png
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Sick work, I think it turned out fantastic. I didn't realize people could create the starting area for the comp as well.
  • Perzik
    Offline / Send Message
    Perzik polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, this is amazing !! Textures <3
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Well done! It looks wonderful. I love the presentation of your final images too. :)