Home General Discussion

portfolios for university

Youngy798
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, its about 2 years until I hopefully go off to university. Whilst looking at uni's I found that a lot of them wanted a portfolio as part of your entry requirements.
This obviously means examples of your work, so coursework from your school subjects and personal projects.
If there are any university employees or people who have already gotten into university, I would like some advice.

What kind of work would you be most impressed by, I have decent knowledge of 3d modelling techniques, the process of baking out high poly sculpts into a low poly mesh, texturing etc. Would that kind of thing be of interest to you when interviewing people for university places.

I have a about a year until I start apply for universities, so I want to have a decent portfolio which will impress the uni's.

I am currently having a go at the monthly noob challenge, would showing you that I have participated in things like that be a positive if you were my interviewer?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The same old advice applies for university applications, as it does for jobs... show only your best work, make it easy to navigate, etc.

Your Portfolio Repels Jobs is a great place to start.

More here. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Youngy798 wrote: »
    I am currently having a go at the monthly noob challenge, would showing you that I have participated in things like that be a positive if you were my interviewer?

Yea. Although, don't title it "Polycount Monthly Noob Challenge" in your portfolio. Just go with "Polycount Monthly Challenge". Having the word "noob" in there will only hurt others perceptions of you, especially if they do not know about Polycount.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I would think, long story short: Basically your best work, as well as strong examples of foundational art work, such as still life drawings, still life paintings, figure drawing, etc.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Yea. Although, don't title it "Polycount Monthly Noob Challenge" in your portfolio. Just go with "Polycount Monthly Challenge". Having the word "noob" in there will only hurt others perceptions of you, especially if they do not know about Polycount.

I was thinking that too :D I wasn't going to add that bit on.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also quick question, when they talk about a portfolio, do they mean something I would bring in to the interview to show, or something online in my UCAS page?

Too any non-brits, UCAS is this website that schools use for applying to colleges and universities.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    i got into a college for a game art program 5 years ago that had a portfolio requirement. IIRC almost nobody else had done CG yet, they submitted drawings and stuff. you'll stand out just by having already started making game art. in general the university isn't looking for you to be a great artist already, they just want to see you have actual interests that you pursue and those interests line up with their program/school/whatever

IMO act like you're making a portfolio for jobs, not for uni, and you'll end up with the best portfolio for both

(then think really carefully about whether you need to go to uni)
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've thought carefully about this already, I have read on here as-well about it.

I would eventually like to move somewhere else in Europe and work, so having a degree would be a helpful with that if I ever did it.

I also want to go to university for the experience of living alone and being a bit more independent. Basically the uni experience.

Also because I am in England, debt isn't that big of an issue here when thinking about Uni. You don't have to start paying it off until you are earning over 21k and it doesn't last for ever.

University would also give me a way to focus on game art and progressing my skills, I work best when I have a structure, so going to lessons and doing coursework.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, its about 2 years until I hopefully go off to university. Whilst looking at uni's I found that a lot of them wanted a portfolio as part of your entry requirements.
    This obviously means examples of your work, so coursework from your school subjects and personal projects.
    If there are any university employees or people who have already gotten into university, I would like some advice.

What kind of work would you be most impressed by, I have decent knowledge of 3d modelling techniques, the process of baking out high poly sculpts into a low poly mesh, texturing etc. Would that kind of thing be of interest to you when interviewing people for university places.

I have a about a year until I start apply for universities, so I want to have a decent portfolio which will impress the uni's.

Thanks in advance

The fact that you're even asking a question like that will mean your entry portfolio will prolly surpass the graduation portfolio of your classmates in a few years time!!!
    Most unis put more emphasis on traditional skills at the beginning because not everyone will have access to the hardcore PCs and expensive software you'll be using while you're there.
    Try and get a range of drawings in there dude, so they can weigh you up against others, then the 3D stuff you have on top of that is just a head start for the meat of what they'll be teaching you.

P.s. if your folio is all online, which is fine,
    bring a tablet or laptop with it on, and preferably offline, to your interview just in case.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Also because I am in England, debt isn't that big of an issue here when thinking about Uni. You don't have to start paying it off until you are earning over 21k and it doesn't last for ever.

Have you looked at University of Hertfordshire? I keep seeing their work from both LittleClaude and graduates pop up. It looks like a school where if you are super dedicated you'll have a ton of opportunities to make insanely awesome stuff with your classmates.

If you're thinking of somewhere else, just make sure you pick a college that has a lot of talented students. You'll improve quicker if there are other dedicated individuals who you can constantly talk with/compare work.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Have you looked at University of Hertfordshire? I keep seeing their work from both LittleClaude and graduates pop up. It looks like a school where if you are super dedicated you'll have a ton of opportunities to make insanely awesome stuff with your classmates.

If you're thinking of somewhere else, just make sure you pick a college that has a lot of talented students. You'll improve quicker if there are other dedicated individuals who you can constantly talk with/compare work.

I was actually there a couple of weeks ago for a day to do with a school subject, it seemed quite good. I noticed some books in the library about game arts.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed wrote: »
    Make sure your University is one of best for 3D in the UK, there aren't many of them.

I did 3D at Uni, biggest waste of time and money for me. 3 years of Uni, and I only had 8 weeks of a 3D subject, my 3D teacher wasn't even a 3D artist, he just filling in the role inbetween his other classes and he didn't even create one single object infront of us.

Everything else was BS and we were thrown into a other subject's classes. In fact the homework's were even taking time away from doing 3D as a hobby at home.

Add that to the fact that a degree paper adds very little as opposed to a portfolio there is little reason to do it, I wish I went with a Art course instead, one with a lot of painting and drawing.

What uni was that?
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any good examples of Unis?

At the moment I have looked at university of creative arts and Hertfordshire after going their a couple of weeks ago