Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - VFX

[Riot Art Contest] - AirRun

Here is some ideas I am thinking about for this.... Kinda basic spell types. Just what came to mind 1st. Still thinking if I should get more unique or just start working on 2 of them. I think some might be a little over the top though....

I know we are not suppose to animate the spheres but a force spell should push things back. I am not sure if this is allowed.

Replies

• parag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parag polycounter lvl 4
    Nice Concepts, Good Luck
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just did a quick block out of the Earth attack. I feel it's too slow. 9 Secs.....

Vid

Crits welcomed and encouraged.
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    Love the idea. I would cut a few of the "bounces" while the rocks are floating. Keep the last "down" before they shoot up. When they come back on screen towards the enemy sphere, try to ramp up the velocity between the time they appear above and when they hit the ground. Just my amateur two cents.
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks THenderson, I was thinking along the same lines.
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update with the timing

Vid02

*Edit..Updated again.... Think I'm happy with timing now. Moving on to start making pretty
  • Rusty_Gvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey looks cool! Are you creating this all through a particle editor or are you animation them with a rig?
  • AirRun
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a little work done this weekend. Started the counter attack. Still not happy with the timing...

Vid
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Not a lot of bells and whistles but it is coming along.

Vid
  • Sirhaian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirhaian polycounter lvl 3
    Aaah, looking great! I love the first step, where the ground gets burned. Really nice effect! :)
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sirhaian
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I increase the speed a bit after downloading and playing some LOL. I increased the AOE aspect of the impact and added a bit more to it. Well actually I added a lot to it and thought it was too much and pulled it back a bit.

Let me know what you all think. Be critical please.

Vid
  • Klemen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try to break this down into parts as I see it:

Build up - this holds promise when the chunks get pulled out of the ground but I think you're spawning too much dust, it's distracting.

Release - The transition here is much too jarring in my opinion, you could smooth this out with an ease out curve but it might still feel unnatural. Also, what would happen if the gameplay camera happened to be in a way off all that stuff when it flew up?

Impact - Too jarring of a transition again, the pieces almost appear to teleport in and there's too much going on, it's very hard to read. Also, I wouldn't expect the pieces to pierce the target like that given that in this latest example they appear to be made out of soil.

You've got a really nice idea here but I would approach it in a different way. I would keep the build up but then transition that to fly out (not everything at the exact same time) and rain down on target seamlessly, crashing down around the area.

I hope that didn't come out too harsh, keep up the good work man! :thumbup:
  • Sirhaian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirhaian polycounter lvl 3
    Hmmm, it's nice, but I think they said the background should stay un-textured... =/
    For me, I'd say the first part is reaaaaally good! We feel the speed and the desire to crush the enemies with the projectiles. But the impact could use more... impact. :)

Made a few screens for you:

Sk9Cizh.jpg
    pSa7adO.jpg

This is just my opinion, of course. :)
    Hope it helps. ^^
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys I really don't like the impact either. I added the circles for little shock waves as a test. I agree with pretty much everything.

Release got a little shaky when I sped it up, I'll smooth out the curves again.

Dust I had more translucent but I felt like you couldn't see it to well, I will brig it back down.

Impact I wanted speed again but your right its too quick.

I know the ground needs to be untextured, I just put that in there temporary for the color test.

Again thanks for the feedback.
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't around my computer this weekend so I didn't get a chance to work on this until today. I made most of the changes. I am still thinking about making the earth shards break when they hit the ground as they are probably are softer like Klemen suggested.

Still need to polish cracks where they hit, just a stand in.
    Impact dust still probably needs to lighten up a bit.

Again feel free to rip it apart.

Vid
  • Rusty_Gvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    having the earth shatter into less pieces at the end would probably look a bit better. At the moment it looks like that cheese shatter effect from power point :P Make them break into 2-3 pieces instead. More impact and silhouette that way.
  • AirRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea the shatter now is a generic place holder. wasn't sure if I wanted it to be a delayed shatter or a shatter upon impact.