Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment for portfolio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
Hi there I have been working on this environment for a while now and decided to actually show what I have got so far. I did have a crack at this when it was posted on the 2nd Monthly Polycount Environment Challenge and I failed miserably so I thought I'd have another attempt lol. I don't really feel like I'm nailing the concept as it stands but it's the best work I have done to date so I'm gonna keep pushing this piece forward until I have something I can call finished and worthy of putting into my portfolio.

This is what I have so far...

There's more things I want to fix but here's some initial thoughts on what needs work
tumblr_ncvlyph5NV1qg6hydo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ncvlyph5NV1qg6hydo2_1280.jpg

Replies

• SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    And just to laugh at here's my failed attempt from about 2 years ago lol

tumblr_mex1htONS41rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg
  • DWalker
    Don't forget to add some color. At the very least, a bluish glow from the monitors. At the moment, the central section is overly bright and monochrome.

The open floor panels look longer than the holes in the floor.
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker: Oki doki, I already have blueish lights in there but I'll up them a little bit and I could probably lower those white lights at the top too. I'm also thinking about adding some colour variation on the computer screens as I have the material already set up.

Cheers
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working through my to do list but here's a small update.

tumblr_nczef6wyEU1qg6hydo1_1280.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hey dude this is looking great!! My only advice right now would be to add some variation in values and maybe the lighting. I did a quick 5 min photoshop "paintover". It's not great, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Also, take a look at
    http://www.artstation.com/artwork/zer0-gravity

8qSIzKY.png
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    @Beefaroni: Hey man, thanks for taking the time to do a paintover. I'll try and push the values on my next attempt and as your paintover suggests I will add some difference in values in my textures too just to break things up a bit.

I remember that guys work. Very inspiring. I hope to produce something that good someday XD.

Thanks
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ya, it was super quick though so I'm sure it can be much better.

Dude, if you really push this environment, it could be really really nice. You have a great foundation already.
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_nd3se56xp91qg6hydo1_1280.jpg

Nothing much to see this time. I upped the geometry in the roof panels and had a go at making a starry background. Still trying to figure out how to make the glass reflective though as I really liked the reflections I got on the previous screenshot.

I haven't done much with the values yet as Beefaroni suggested so I might focus on that tomorrow whilst I work through my to do list. Maybe add a bit of colour in some parts.
  • DWalker
    A problem with the starfield is that it would tend to be washed out by bright lights.

My eye keeps getting drawn to the far doorway, but there's nothing there... it's in darkness and mostly empty. There's nothing wrong with a bit of shadow, mind, or even some empty spots, but they just don't seem to fit there. I wonder if it wouldn't be better if the far blast doors were closed.

The holes in the floor might be more interesting if there was a dim light down there - either red emergency or orange maintenance lighting.

The teeth on the door are supposed to intermesh (think of the teeth from opposing gears), yet they seem to line up evenly with their opposite number.
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    A problem with the starfield is that it would tend to be washed out by bright lights.

Yh I guess you're right. When I first made the strafield it was really bright and busy but too distracting. Perhaps I could lose it as I want the busy section to be where the computers and wires are. Plus I can get my reflections back lol
    My eye keeps getting drawn to the far doorway, but there's nothing there... it's in darkness and mostly empty. There's nothing wrong with a bit of shadow, mind, or even some empty spots, but they just don't seem to fit there. I wonder if it wouldn't be better if the far blast doors were closed.

I haven't started that bit yet but I'll try some things out.
    The holes in the floor might be more interesting if there was a dim light down there - either red emergency or orange maintenance lighting.

They aren't suppose to be holes (it's just the same material as the ceiling used to be) but I will replace it with something better. The orange and red lighting is a good idea :thumbup:
    The teeth on the door are supposed to intermesh (think of the teeth from opposing gears), yet they seem to line up evenly with their opposite number.

Haha you noticed that too. Well spotted. To be honest I was meant to fix that ages ago and completely forgot lol

(My to do list just got bigger) lol

Thanks for your input :)
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Man that's looking awesome, did you texture all those assets by using a tiling texture in a detailed material?
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain wrote: »
    Man that's looking awesome, did you texture all those assets by using a tiling texture in a detailed material?

No I was kind of stupid and baked and textured each piece individually. Looking back on it I probably could've made a texture for all the large pieces like the floor without losing much visual detail at all.

However, the techy bits in the middle section of the hallway are all using one texture sheet as I thought it could save me some time. I took inspiration from this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89682&page=9

I haven't got the materials to look as good as I want them too yet but I'll work on it soon
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    Still chipping away at this project. Just been messing around with the back section. I was going to leave it dark with not too much in it but I much prefer what I have now. Still needs work though. Hoping to have this wrapped up soon but my to do list keeps getting bigger lol

tumblr_ndhotkNY0C1qg6hydo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndhotkNY0C1qg6hydo2_1280.jpg
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    I admire your resolve. I tend to lose interest in projects so quickly when i'm doing personal work.
  • Zinco
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    This is so awesome O.O
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some more bits to the environment. At the moment I'm thinking about whether I should use my tiling material with an extra UV set for decals to texture the props I have added or to make a highpoly and bake it down etc. Saving time so I can move onto something else versus possibly having some nicer assets...

tumblr_ndqrypvlpi1qg6hydo1_1280.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    dude looking good :D

That's all I'm goign to say for now, I'm looking forward to some more updates!
  • SelwynPhillips
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_ng3519zAWm1qg6hydo1_1280.jpg

It's been a while since my last update as I have relocated for my job. It's only something small but I remodelled the toolbox so it looks more interesting. I had been weighing up whether I should use tiling textures or model this as a unique prop. This way took longer but it does look better. Hopefully I'll find some more time to continue this whilst I attempt to learn how to make things look good in Unity for my new job :/