Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] – Mason Archer – Fallen Souls Set

Replies

• alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the mesh optimization and finalizing the AO texture and Normal map texture.
    Posting the images and next post i`ll just give a quick answers on the questions :)

WcTr79.jpg
    1uSouc.jpg
    AQ26gs.jpg
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice mate, thank you as always for your kind words, especially from artist with your skill set !
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arsenal wrote: »
    Nice bake alexd! Curious on the triangle count of your item. Don't forget to create the interior because helmets can get knocked off in game.

Great job!

Thank you mate ! About the polycount, i`m gonna give you one tip i like to use.
    When i do the retopology i do it as close to the high poly as possible, adding
    loops where even i dont need. This way i can get a nearly perfect bake. My retopology low poly was 3000 + triangles. Then after baking is done i spend few hours to remove the supportive for baking loops and vertices. Annoying , but has to be done :D

Final mesh polycount is 1560 triangles for style 01 and 1572 triangles for style 02. All the pieces together are 1746 triangles.
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zetheros and islipaway,

What i plan to do is just skin the mesh to the correct bones.
    Here is some info on this matter :

D2BF4E.jpg

It shouldnt be a trouble maker, but we`ll know soon enough :)
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just one final tip i use :

I bake the textures on 4k or 8k. Then i use sharpen tool inside photoshop and then
    i scale them down to 1k. This way you manage to preserve a near 4k pixel quality on a 1k size texture.

Time for some few hours sleep zZzZzz
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i`m done with the textures , bloody 14 hours ...

U4dRkQ.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You're almost there !

Just for the record I thought I'd comment on this :
    When i do the retopology i do it as close to the high poly as possible, adding
    loops where even i dont need. This way i can get a nearly perfect bake. My retopology low poly was 3000 + triangles. Then after baking is done i spend few hours to remove the supportive for baking loops and vertices. Annoying , but has to be done

With a properly synchronized pipeline (that is to say, a baking tool totally in sync with the engine ultimately reading and displaying the mesh and the normalmap applied to it), this is actually an unnecessary step. As a matter of fact, for the longest time there was no properly synced art creation pipeline available for UDK, but Handplane now provides that, and I can confirm that it works flawlessly.

Now of course this is not of much help since you are already past this stage of the item creation process, but I thought I'd mention it so that you can save some time in the future :)
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Nice job alexd, its looking great! Good luck getting them in engine.
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    but Handplane now provides that, and I can confirm that it works flawlessly.

Oh thank you mate , i`m definitely trying it next time :)
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice wrote: »
    Nice job alexd, its looking great! Good luck getting them in engine.

Just a very quick test mate, i`ll have to edint a bit specular and color values so it doesnt look too noisy on the red mask.

I have however other issues like i cannot override graphics settings through the nvidia panel for better presentation. Anyone know how to do it ?

H61AX8.jpg
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oke me done too. Submiting in final thread very soon 0_0 Had to do some last hours changes to make it fit.

JI52rk.jpg

uWDiOE.jpg

0G4TWY.jpg
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Love it, very fitting! Awesome work! :)