Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sexy Big Boss (MGS5) - Character WIP

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
Hey, polycount. It's my first time posting something substantial on Pimping & Previews because I always was kinda afraid of putting my art out there. But lately I'm thinking that there's no way I can do this by myself without the help of this great community. So yeah, here I am standing before you to strike me down and call me noob and maybe even help me a bit :) I humbly ask for your assistance and guidance on my way to create this awesome character that I would really like to do justice to.

The character was inspired by this:

Jsb4xKu.jpg
Credits for this art go to Anne Pogoda.

48GbizK.jpg

As you can clearly see, it's a very very sexy cross-dressing Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes. I thought it was really funny and that's why I decided to do this.

These are my references and inspirations for the head:

S1Nf7Js.jpg

And this is WIP Head:

cVgGwwQ.jpg

References and inspirations for the body:

uoyDQkU.jpg

And this is WIP Body:

9UvTgIt.jpg

Assets WIP:

nf6ZRlZ.jpg

Please don't go easy on me. Even though I suck, I'm hoping to learn something from all of you :) I'm a very hard working guy and you can be sure that I will listen to each and every piece of advice :)

Replies

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Mmn, very sexy. ;)

Your proportions are a bit off, I think that the torso is quite short; so are the legs (I think if you make the arms a teensy bit shorter and lengthen the torso, you might be able to get the balance correct without sacrificing the thicker build of the character). Legs are a little weird looking from the side and behind.

You need some g-string ref (...awkward), it's not quite sitting right. String should probably be just under the belt, groin area is just a little off in general.

You also need ass ref. It's a bit (a lot) square right now, too much so even for a dude this ripped. :)

Keep going, hopefully someone can elaborate (I'm off to bed, so I can't). I might pop in again later and see if I can't help a bit better. Love to see this finished up to a final render, lol.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Mmn, very sexy. ;)

Your proportions are a bit off, I think that the torso is quite short; so are the legs (I think if you make the arms a teensy bit shorter and lengthen the torso, you might be able to get the balance correct without sacrificing the thicker build of the character). Legs are a little weird looking from the side and behind.

You need some g-string ref (...awkward), it's not quite sitting right. String should probably be just under the belt, groin area is just a little off in general.

You also need ass ref. It's a bit (a lot) square right now, too much so even for a dude this ripped. :)

Keep going, hopefully someone can elaborate (I'm off to bed, so I can't). I might pop in again later and see if I can't help a bit better. Love to see this finished up to a final render, lol.
    Thanks for your advice. I'm already glad I finally posted this :) I'll be sure to see what I can do about things you mention.
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I LOVE the idea, and I'm excited to see where it goes! Good luck!
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    needs dollar bills in the thong.

How else is he supposed to afford all of that ammunition? :D
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice inversion of the usual scantily clad characters made, I love it~
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the support :) I'll be posting more updates as soon as I can.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again. Sorry for taking so much time to update the character, but I had a ton of problems last week and worse of all my HDD died that had a lot of important stuff on it. So I worked really hard to provide updates before the weekend :)

O4EouTh.jpg
    OUownST.jpg
    7joRZDC.jpg
    6nEVFyJ.jpg

I also spent a few days on modeling this highly detailed handgun :) Dunno if it was worth the time, but I could so I did.
    NVfr6TY.jpg

And I'm pretty glad how this holster worked out. Making it took some adjustments to a new zbrush workflow for me, especially stitching which was a real pain in the neck at first.

eSFJrSz.jpg

Once again, I humbly ask for advice and critiques.

Have a good weekend! :) I'm surely gonna enjoy it a lot now :)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to take a break from asset creation and rework anatomy of the character. I always strive to improve my skills, so I'm used to rework some things over and over again. So yay, anatomy update!

OBBZcKT.jpg
    95ICCW1.jpg
    hW3UWfv.jpg
    bJqgFmM.jpg

I also tried to model his behind to look as sexy as possible. You decide if I succeeded in that. :)

jzw0Qvv.jpg

Next time I'll be updating with some new assets, hopefully. Or anatomy. Or a bit of both :poly101:
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I have the weirdest boner right now...
  • KazeoHin
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking so awesome. PLEASE keep working on this!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin wrote: »
    This is looking so awesome. PLEASE keep working on this!
    Haha, thanks for the encouragement. I don't plan to stop :poly142:. I will try to update this thread as often as I can.
  • Crazy_pixel
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Deathstick wrote: »
    needs dollar bills in the thong.

How else is he supposed to afford all of that ammunition? :D

Good ideia! haha
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I won't him to be sexy, not a stripper :) But I appreciate the enthusiasm. The idea here is to make fun of Quiet's character design by dressing the main character in the same stuff. It should look stupid and a bit sexy too.
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Looks good, but it looks like he only worked out his upper torso and not much his legs. I see this a lot in the gym and it looks way disproportionate. I would look up some fitness models with good balance as reference. The parts that stand out to me are the lack of definition on the hamstrings and calves. I would also say that the legs need more thickness, more meat in them. Keep going!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 wrote: »
    Looks good, but it looks like he only worked out his upper torso and not much his legs. I see this a lot in the gym and it looks way disproportionate. I would look up some fitness models with good balance as reference. The parts that stand out to me are the lack of definition on the hamstrings and calves. I would also say that the legs need more thickness, more meat in them. Keep going!
    Funny thing is that I just worked today on fixing all this. Thanks for pointing it out though, I appreciate it :thumbup: I will be posting updates as soon as I'm done reworking bunch of assets.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Sorry for the long wait, but I promise you I'm not dead and this project is not abandoned! Actually, I worked really really hard these two weeks remaking every single asset from scratch. Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know, but I thought it had to be done! So with this update I can say that I have all base meshes in place and now it's time for high poly Zbrush detailing, which should be a lot of fun and I'll try to make updates a bit more often. :poly142:

These two weeks were a great learning time for me. With the help of some of you guys I really pushed myself to practice polygonal modeling, thanks for that :thumbup:

i6AFky5XvlWXM.png
    ibbLEu9wU4pyhn.png
    iup7C4BEikaZ.png
    iSima0mcR2Bhx.png
    iLoEA8cQ71X.png
  • dragon66
    I think you should make it so if he is shot in the balls the penis and bals fly off lol
  • DarkTownArt
    OH MY GOD!!!

YOU DID IT!! (I am Anne btw, I created the "Quiet Boss" artwork - and someone on Facebook dropped me that link)

You are my personal hero!!

If you want me to think up a funny final pose for him just let me know. And feel free to add me on Facebook, too! (The Anne Pogoda with the stupid looking Mr. Spock is my private profile. XD)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @dragon66: How would you model that?
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin good. This might help:

BoI9t5oIgAAmAfQ.png
  • DarkTownArt
    Hey Alexey,

great to be hooking up on Facebook btw. ;D

I will make you an overpaint with the images you sent me. And I was thinking that the face could be a mixture of the Hot Toys figurine face and the face in the game.

I took some reference pictures of my figurine, and will throw in Ground Zeros later to take some pictures there, too, so I can compare things and make you some suggestions on how the final face could evolve.

Are you looking for a "carved" final look for the hair or will it be er... "hairy"?
    If it is going to be "carved", the figurine might serve some great reference there, too. :)

- Anne

PS: Here are the pictures

snakeinabox_by_zombiesandwich-d7zf6s9.jpg
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    cross dressing is a strange thing :D
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alexey,

great to be hooking up on Facebook btw. ;D

I will make you an overpaint with the images you sent me. And I was thinking that the face could be a mixture of the Hot Toys figurine face and the face in the game.

I took some reference pictures of my figurine, and will throw in Ground Zeros later to take some pictures there, too, so I can compare things and make you some suggestions on how the final face could evolve.

Are you looking for a "carved" final look for the hair or will it be er... "hairy"?
    If it is going to be "carved", the figurine might serve some great reference there, too. :)

- Anne

Thanks for the photos. I will be happy any suggestions you have on how to make the character look even better :) I really like the figurine's jaw, but I dunno yet if I should deviate much from the ingame's character face.

As for hair, I will be making him a realistic hairstyle that uses all the modern tech for video games, so it will look fairly realistic.

peanut™ wrote: »
    cross dressing is a strange thing :D

Well, that what makes it cool!

Okama%20Way.png
  • DarkTownArt
    I..... wrote a very long post and then something happened and it was all gone T__T

So let's try again:

FRONT:

Probably the most crucial part (to me), so I devided that into different „working steps“ that would make it possible to you to see what I did in relation with your 3D Model.

Facial shape: Must be longer and slimmer. (On the Hot Toys figurine this part is extremely overdone)

Forehead: Needs to be shorter. He is old, though, not that old. ;)

Eyebrows: Drawn down into a serious frown. Peak slightly goes up and widens. (A sign of „manlyness“ in the japanese culture. Take a look at the Mishima family from Tekken to get a better idea what I am talking about. XD)

Eyes: Receding much into the skull, quite small (as a style element), some „lines“ are overdone to make him look even more serious, for instance the lines that you could draw from the upper eyelashes to the bridge of the nose.

Nose: Needs to be much wider, especially the nostrils. It is also a bit longer.

Lips: Left pretty much untouched, just reshapes the lower lip a little and widened the beard.

Jaw: Went for a pretty hard edged, clear shape. You can soften it a little once you apply the details, it'll read nicely in the end.

SIDE:

Face A: Your current WIP

Face B: Your WIP with more features of the ingame model applied. Forehead comes out strong and with a pretty hard edge (a „leftover“ from the „bandana days“).
    Nose is still straight, but has a slight „hook“. Lips are not so much „defined“, which is what I don't like about this model.

Which is why I came up with...

Face C: Tip of the nose, lips and jaw are more referenced from the figurine. The nose comes off to be bit longer this way. Lips are also very clearly defined and „comes out“ of the skull a bit more. This gives the sideview a clear and nicely readable look.

Eyebrows and forehead are adjusted like on frontview on both variations of the sideview.

There are two different variants for the beard. B is the „grown out I did not shave for weeks“ look that we can see in the MGSV demo. The other one makes for a very clearly defined jawline. It looks less chaotic/ rugged, however, it might result that the head is not „disappearing“ into the neck too much.

3 / 4:

Pretty much the same corrections as mentioned before, especially around forehead and hair.
    Eyes smaller and narrower, the amount that they recede into the skull seems fitting from this perspective.

HAIRSTYLE QUESTION:
    You sketched the hairstyle that he is going to have in the final version of MGSV, so he'll go with a ponytail, right?
    If you are going with this version I could redesign the initial cross dressing a bit. I saw on some concepts, that Big Boss will/ might be wearing a „cloak“ in the desert, so I could design him one, and this could make itquite epic, since he is usually never depicted that way.
    If you go for the ponytail version, e.g. „final“ variant, shall we give him the artificial hand, too, or is the glove that he is wearing magical?

SIDENOTE regarding the legs:
    Make them longer and wider. I can adjust them with Photoshop to show you what I mean if you want to.

Are you planning to give him the losely „opened“ shoes in the end?

snakefaces_by_zombiesandwich-d7zgq95.jpg
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Oh no, you didn't. :D Looking good though the idea is ballzy.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkTownArt, thank you for this! You really opened my eyes on what was wrong with the face I made. I will spend some time this week on iterating the model to see where it goes.
    HAIRSTYLE QUESTION:
    You sketched the hairstyle that he is going to have in the final version of MGSV, so he'll go with a ponytail, right?
    If you are going with this version I could redesign the initial cross dressing a bit. I saw on some concepts, that Big Boss will/ might be wearing a „cloak“ in the desert, so I could design him one, and this could make itquite epic, since he is usually never depicted that way.
    If you go for the ponytail version, e.g. „final“ variant, shall we give him the artificial hand, too, or is the glove that he is wearing magical?

SIDENOTE regarding the legs:
    Make them longer and wider. I can adjust them with Photoshop to show you what I mean if you want to.

Are you planning to give him the losely „opened“ shoes in the end?

Yes, I was going for a ponytail, because it looks awesome :)
    As far as cloak goes, I think it might be a good idea if it can look good with the current costume. I guess it an idea worth exploring.

I just forgot about the artificial hand. I think it should be there, it will make the character more interesting.

I can make legs wider(fatter or more muscular), but I don't think that making them longer will look much better, he's already 7.5 heads in proportions and I don't think he needs to be taller.

For shoes, yes they will be loosely "opened" in the end. At least that's why I saw in the concept art.
  • DarkTownArt
    Heya!

I am glad that those are helping you. ;D

I will explore around a little with the costume, for the fun, to see where it could go, and post the results here. XD

Yeah the hand would def. make him more interesting especially if you go for the ponytail version which def. is settled at a later point of the story.

I showed the body to a befriended concept artist and we talked about what felt off. We came to the conclusion that the knees are sitting "too higH" within the legs. That makes the thighs come off too short.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message

I showed the body to a befriended concept artist and we talked about what felt off. We came to the conclusion that the knees are sitting "too higH" within the legs. That makes the thighs come off too short.
    Hmm, that is very interesting. I'll look into it! Thanks:thumbup:
  • DarkTownArt
    I made some variants now that incorporate the cape/ scarf that can be seen on some of the concept art for the upcoming MGSV.
    The mechanical hand would be the lef tone like seen on the concept and he would wear the "Quiet glove" on the right arm instead of the left.

I also adjusted his face a little to show what it would look like if it went by the pony tail and beard styling like on the concepts. The beard seems to be a bit better trimmed on these, and there seems to be a clear seperation between "mustache" part and "jaw beard".

The idea with the scarf/ "cloak" would be that, of course, it doesn't cover anything, but it floats epicly in the wind. XDDD

quietsnake_capevariants_by_zombiesandwich-d7zi9wl.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    It's Monday, so its time for an update! Thanks to great artist DarkTownArt for helping me pushing this character to the max ! :thumbup:

Note: Hair and face details are placeholder and will be changed later

YuIM3Y9.png
    BKWWOGQ.png
    JLSgJog.png
    EEGNl0F.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Sorry for taking my sweet time with this, but I've never done something so complex before based on shitty references. With Anne (DarkTownArt) we decided to add the prosthetic robot arm to this character, just like in the game. So here it is:

L6eWEhd.png
    KtArHHe.png
    sgVWWBI.png
    J3ivqir.png
    zD8VgSf.png

Now I will be adding cloth piece to the upper arm and shoulder belts to keep this beast in place.

Have a good day and play Shadow of Mordor, it's awesome :thumbup:
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah these robotic/ cyborg/ prosthetic hands are a ..... to make. It just feels like it won't end no matter what. :D

Good going by the way. Keep it up :D
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's update is brought to you by the power of love.
    tumblr_mtrazdPEE31qlndspo1_500.gif

Finally started to work on detailing, one done and a lot more to go! Woo, I feel excitement in the air, do you?

MQJvu5q.png
  • Kosai106
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Franky this is looking great dude, keep goin!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for checking out my thread :) I hope you continue to track the progress, because it's going full steam ahead! ip8Wfau.png

Here's a little something-something for you, before we all go enjoy our weekends.

x5Ctq0w.png
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I wanna keep you in check with the progress so far and show you how it all looks together right now. I'm half-way done with detailing highpoly assets, so there's a bit more work to be done. It's crazy how much time it all takes, but it's getting there and I hope to be done with highpoly next week and move to hair modeling, which is gonna be so tough.

Sorry if small details are hard to see, but they are there and look good :) I suck at rendering, that's all.

2qjy7mx.png

Have a good day :)
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    If there is ever a fan art contest for MGS...please hand this in
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    GUYS, GUYS! BIG UPDATE TIME :) There's a little bit of detailing left to do, but that's pretty much it! All highpoly assets are done and ready to go! Next I'll be polypainting the skin and refining the body details, all that stuff, it's gonna be so cool. Finally, this character is moving into the final stretch!

NKmPRjt.gif

67hSnKu.png
    KD82SYu.png
    EfowYEv.png

Cheers,
    Alex
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Keep it up! Really excited to see some badass materials added to this.
  • DarkTownArt
    I am happy that I could help. This has turned out to be such an exciting colaborative project!!!

Can't wait to see the materials you'll choose. Besides from all that we had already talked about in private, I noticed one little thing (I am not sure if you were planning to work some more on this later, or if you counted it finished.)

The shape of the shoes. When you look at him from the side you will probably notice that the "front" part goes very "high" up. I know that the peak of such shoes usually is looking up a little, though this has to be treated with care, or elseit looks "dorkly". Just a designer's input though. ;)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    First try at polypainting

atAxFKF.jpg
    nYDFjX9.jpg
    SDdhd5P.jpg
  • lpanic
    Offline / Send Message
    lpanic polycounter lvl 3
    Looks so good :D

I just wonder how would that blindfold-pirate part would look as brown lether. With similar material to that one on stripes.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys and gals. My last update was more than a month ago, gosh, but many things happened since then and I learned a lot of stuff to help me with this character. So I want to post a little update, so you don't think that I'm dead or done with this project. I probably won't start texturing this year, but I promise you it's gonna be finished as soon as possible.

Just started doing bakes. Finally.

Please have patience:angel:

uwznp4M.jpg
    XatRa0z.jpg
    aX6pYlT.jpg
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice clean bakes. Can't wait to see more.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the updates are gonna be more frequent now, gonna try to post bakes every day :)

G7KcDpN.jpg
    eQOhrP4.jpg
    1pHW6Hf.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    First bakes are completed now. So tired right now, but I think it looks ok. What's next... do more bakes! Hooray? markey_mark_wtf.gif

heLucCL.png
    iAY2VSK.png
    FiX2zen.png
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Man, I really hope you're still going with this project. First time seeing this and it's the best, Love Snake and his butt lol.

Loving all the detail you've done on the assets too!