Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Mason Archer - Bull's eye set

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
So I decided to run with this idea of a set which would look ominous and mocking at the same time. Not sure which faction I'll choose for now but it won't be a knight class. It will look more like a noble set though. Refs and WIP pics will follow soon (I hope).

Replies

• dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so I ditched the original idea.

Now I'm making a heavy crossbow for a mason archer.

This

Raging-bull.jpg

+ this

xbow1.jpg

The rest will be tommorow along with the new thread title.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, the past week has been very busy, no time to do anything at all, and today I'm finally able to sit down and start working on rough blockout.

The bull's head will be made of wood with some metal parts (if it is big) or metal (if I pick a small one). Also I'll probably make a unicorn head just to see how it looks.

Very rough blockout:

TmcWTQ0.png

YpI99L4.png

Cr4gBmJ.png

dgA2ojM.png

h8S1SVS.png

ubRX7n6.png

Which one is better?
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    If archer puts his leg into stirrup, then the bull's head should have a hole of the size of archer's leg
  • Luri
    Zelfit wrote: »
    If archer puts his leg into stirrup, then the bull's head should have a hole of the size of archer's leg

Might i suggest a big nose ring :)
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Luri wrote: »
    Might i suggest a big nose ring :)

Good idea,it can be the foot ring crossbowman use to reload.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it had a bull ring as a stirrup but it looked ugly. I'm still thinking about that though. I took a look at heavy crossbow reloading animation and an archer doesn't put his leg into stirrup. Also I gathered some reference material and found out that not all crossbows with such mechanisms had stirrups. I'll look into it a bit more just to be sure.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe just do it as a regular stirrup but through the bull's nose? I really like the idea of it having some incorporation of that stirrup.
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    I took a look at heavy crossbow reloading animation and an archer doesn't put his leg into stirrup
    It he doesn't, then you are completely fine. It will be interesting to watch your progress, because not many users decided to make crossbow.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    After reading this issue up I learned that there is no need for stirrup in a crannequin crossbow and I decided not to put it in because the crossbow becomes longer than in-game one.

I decided to do a hoof though! And I'm still not sure if I'm to make a big head or a smaller one. A bigger one looks more cool but it also may act as a counterweight which makes aiming hard. But what if I make a hoof bigger and the head will be made of wood primarily..

dtbufgz.png
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    the progress so far. Doesn't look good.

thBYeW3.png

vEICYvh.png
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I think it's looking pretty cool. Maybe by adding some side platting like in your example and maybe some definition in zbrush would get you feeling better about it.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    9thKnight: thanks! Bull's mouth is off so far. And I have to cut down polycount a lot to meet the target. I think I'll have to simplify crannequin's mechanism.

And there will be A LOT of ornaments. 70% of work here is texturing.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Are you doing this in modo? Sometimes I feel like my artistic level drops to sub-arctic levels while making something for the first time in modo.

If you're up for it, it might be a good idea to do a concept in zbrush first. Modo just feels very constricting, and you end up fiddling with vertexes and polygon positions instead of altering the entire thing with brush strokes.

Modo does has it's uses though; it's really powerful for retopo, you can't find a better software for hard surfaces and low-poly (well, maybe maya) and I've been using it for animations as well.

And especially, since you have an organic item in your weapon (bull features), it's really worth using zbrush or a similar program if you can.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros: yes, I do this in Modo. Sculpting there feels pretty limited because there is no dynamic geo like in Zbrush or 3d Coat.

also this is my first try at sculpting which makes it even more complicated.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    This past week has been a hell for me. I've got a potentially well paid assignment and it involved a new 3d package to learn + tons of other things. Thus I'm totally stressed out and still crunching. Will probably finish this after things stabilize but no way I'm getting it done to the deadline.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry to hear that man. Best luck in your new opportunity. Let us all know when you have it done. I think we all would like to see it :)