Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Challenger 2 TES

WhiskyDelta
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
WhiskyDelta polycounter lvl 6
Hello

I thought i would start off my WIP thread here, i have been working on this for a while now and i am coming to the end of the high poly modelling. I am now just finishing blocking out the Enforcer RWS station which is quite a mission, as there a very few images of this RWS on the net and its very complex.

Anyway the rest of the tank is pretty much done in high res, juggling this and my masters atm so not going to be a massive amount of progress but thought i would get your comments on the high res at least. The only thing i am not modelling is the barracuda netting. I did give it a try, manually modelling it but it was a nightmare and still didn't look that good, i have therefore bought a 1m x 1m tile of the netting off the net, will photograph it and turn it into a tileable texture which i shall use in photoshop during texturing for the diffuse and normal. Should work....hopefully

Whisky

Replies

• Stormfreek
    Looks awesome dude, loving the rear! I would highly suggest embedding your pictures (using a fileshare etc) as it is easier for people to have a look and give feedback :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    That looks really nice, but you're implying that you bake that into a lowpoly, and for baking those edges are way too hard
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update, been a while but nearly finished the the Remote Weapon Station, the sight is just from the blockout.

Then just going to redo some elements with larger rounded edges but then just planning on cracking with the low res.

Challenger2_RWS_WIP_01.jpg
    Challenger2_RWS_WIP_02.jpg
    Challenger2_RWS_WIP_03.jpg

Whisky
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Morning Polycount

Update, high res now done...only taken 4 years! :)

Challenger2_HP_230714_01.jpg
    Challenger2_HP_230714_02.jpg
    Challenger2_HP_230714_03.jpg
    Challenger2_HP_230714_04.jpg
    Challenger2_HP_230714_05.jpg

Regards

Whisky
  • blinKX10
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not sure if it was your intention, but you have some major warping issues on your main turret. Here's a quick paint over

http://i.imgur.com/C444s00.jpg
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi BlinKX10

Yes it is completely intentional, Basically the Theatre Entry Specification of the Challenger 2 is covered in Saab Barracuda Netting, which is comprised of netting on the top layer and padding on the lower layer. Reduced thermal signature and reduces internal heat.

I went about trying to model through geometry the netting effect but it didnt look great and was very time consuming. I therefore modeled the lower padding layer, added some subtle noise and gentle curves as opposed to hard edges on the turret and have bought some netting which i shall photograph to turn into a tileable texture to composite in Photoshop for the normal, diffuse and AO map.

Hope this males sense.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/40025/dsc01650.jpg

Whisky
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    blinKX10 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was your intention, but you have some major warping issues on your main turret. Here's a quick paint over

http://i.imgur.com/C444s00.jpg

Are you serious..? I don't think someone with this level of modelling ability would be a novice at hard-surface topology.

I mean c'mon, look at the flat surfaces - it's pretty obvious he sculpted the detail - lmao!

As for the OP, that's some mighty impressive work, looks bang on if you ask me. In-fact I'll be honest with you, I think this would look better as a high-poly textured asset for animation rather than a low-poly game asset.

Good work!
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments, much appreciated!

It did cross my mind about keeping just as an accurate high poly model but i realised I wouldn't have the patience to unwrap all the high res stuff to texture it, so halfway through doing the hull I swopt back to the idea of high to low baking. Which is why I ended up remodelling parts as they weren't going to work well for baking.

Started on the low res, not much to show but thinking tri count being in the 50k to 70k or so, so quite high but nothing too overboard. Textures wise, again, unsure but prob be 3 atlases, one turret (4k x 2k) one hull (4k x 4k) and one for the remote weapon station and machine gun as I can them reuse that asset (1k or 2k)

Whisky

Edit: it did cross my mind also that I could sculpt the netting inside of mudbox or something. Not really a sculpting ninja so if someone wants to point me in the right direction or see if it possible that would be great.
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

Been a while, but i have been doing bits and pieces on this when i can. Low Ply well underway, about 70% the way through, last few bits on the hull to model and the RWS

I have however completed the modeling and unwrapping of the Turret so as a break from modelling and UVing i finalised the atlas and did a bake for my base textures and the below are the results.

All C and C welcome

CR2_TES_01.jpg
    CR2_TES_02.jpg
    CR2_TES_03.jpg
    CR2_TES_04.jpg

Whisky
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    It's all looking rather wobbly at the moment, how have you done the low poly exactly? Hard surfaces like this should have a bit more straightened wire frames it think. It will play hell with your normals too.
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS wrote: »
    It's all looking rather wobbly at the moment, how have you done the low poly exactly? Hard surfaces like this should have a bit more straightened wire frames it think. It will play hell with your normals too.

Please see comments above, it is intentional. It is barracuda netting and the whole point is for it to look wobbly and like fabric draped over the top of the tank.

cr2c.jpg

The actual "netting" affect will be achieved via a texture as i have bought some of the netting to photograph.

Whisky
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Ahh sorry my bad, I missed that comment!
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the low poly modelling, baking and UVing is now complete! Even for the Remote Weapon Station. I now have one giant PSD with all 3 separate atlases loaded into so i can work on one file and some actions set up to spit out the 3 atlases in diffuse, spec and normal map in one click! Happy Chappy, as i can now start the fun process of texturing, in between moving house! All C & C welcome.

CR2_TES_05.jpg
    CR2_TES_06.jpg
    CR2_TES_07.jpg
    CR2_TES_08.jpg

Whisky
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Nice bake and i like the base diffuse colors you have set up. I can tell you really put some effort into this thing, i know your textures will come up good. Looking forward to updates cheers
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Afternoon

Latest update, Diffuse Texture is 95% complete, last few details, need to crack on with the Spec which wont be too big of an issue.

Any C and C welcome

CR2_TES_01a.jpg
    CR2_TES_02a.jpg
    CR2_TES_03a.jpg
    CR2_TES_04a.jpg
    CR2_TES_05a.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed ignore the fact my edge scratching is perfect white, i forgot to turn off an adjustment layer i use in order to easily see where the scratching is. This will be dark grey in the diffuse and bright white in the spec.

Regards

Whisky
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work, i know from personal experience how much efford it takes to model a tank with that many details, getting all the references right.. you did very well!

Thank you very much for your comments, your Leopard 2 A6 was an inspiration many times to see this project through so high praise from yourself.

Light at the end of the tunnel, tweaked a few of the colours in the Diffuse to brighten it up, added my fun dust layer of bootprints on the tank so just spec to finish off, then texture up the RWS which i will re-use many of the layers i created for the tank in order to speed things up and keep consistency.

Regards

Whisky
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update, thought i would post one of my Atlases for anyone who is curious,half the resolution of the raw set

CR2_Atlas01.jpg

Whisky
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy Thread Revival Batman!!  :D

Yes, I am doing such a thing, but since I [part] completed my Leopard 2 project (at least A4 and A5) i decided to return to my Challenger 2 project.

Originally I modelled the tank in only the Theatre Entry Standard (TES) configuration. I have since decided to revamp the tank, model the tank in the base configuration and then model the dozer blade, different generation armour packages and camouflage systems as additional modular components.

Nearly completed the high poly revamp on the base tank, took longer than i thought as previously irrelevant turret or hull details which were hidden by additional armour etc now needed to modelled. Plus, as to be expected I looked at certain elements of the model and thought "WTF! What was I thinking when i modelled that!"  :D

Here is the current status! A few errors that I will resolve before the next update. Slightly grainy renders as not used to Arnold yet in Max from Mental Ray being discontinued.

Whisky
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Old thread indeed haha, model looks solid man! :smiley:
    Are you planning to make a lowpoly for it?
  • WhiskyDelta
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely! Low Poly now WIP as High Poly done on the base tank.

A lot of remodelling and re-UVing bits from the V1 low poly I did back in 2014 (image links no longer working). Should have some updates in a few weeks

Whisky