Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Study [Veezen]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Veezen polycounter lvl 9
Anatomy Study

Hi! I decided to make that thread to share with you my last sculpts. I'm not a good at anatomy digital-sculpting, I know, but I trying to achieve good level in this part of graphic because I really really like sculpting.

At this momemnt my goal is to spent on sculpting every time when I have time for this, and then show you my last sculpts in this thread.

At this moment I can show you some of my other sculpts, but I spent on them more than 1h :) Some of them are old. I hope you will help me by giving opinions, tips and other useful informations to improve my sculpting.

http://veezen.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/0/9/23092542/_3944256_orig.jpg
http://veezen.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/0/9/23092542/9180148_orig.jpg
http://veezen.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/0/9/23092542/181291_orig.jpg
http://veezen.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/0/9/23092542/8394059_orig.jpg
http://veezen.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/0/9/23092542/_5844878_orig.jpg
http://veezen.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/0/9/23092542/1467875_orig.jpg

I think it's too many screens, so I put here links, I hope it's not a big problem :<

Replies

• Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Let's start it :)

Creature_01.jpg

I started making this creature in 10 August, but I found time today to finish it. I spent on it about +/-3h and I think that I could spent more time to improve some parts.

@edit
    Today I will put also something that reminds human.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's something really weird about the eyes in your human sculpts. Maybe they're too large and bulge out too much?
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    DireWolf wrote: »
    There's something really weird about the eyes in your human sculpts. Maybe they're too large and bulge out too much?

Sometimes I have the same feeling about eyes, especially when I have brake from my current sculpt, and come back next day trying to finish whole sculpt.
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    yeah your eyes tend to be a bit too big, its especially noticeable on the human male sculpts.
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, here is another sculpture. I think, that there is still problem with eyes ...
    lLdhClLbpOSbby1L\Woman_01.jpg

It took ~1h.

@edit in 04 September 2014

I was busy in job, but I will try to show you in weekend some of sculpts :<
    I know, I brake my 'promise' about "1h per day".
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    I wasn't at home at the weekend, but I tried to create some really fast sculpt today. So I made that. I also started work on full character sculpt on friday, but hard to say when it will be finish, I have other works to do for some mobile game project (at home) and I don't have a lot of time on sculpting.

30min of sculpting, started from sphere like always. Neck need to work, I know.
    Woman_02.JPG
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there, good start on the sculpts man.
    Check out some more anatomy reference that is helping me a lot when I am sculpting faces:

http://philippefaraut.com/store/catalog/product/gallery/id/32/image/120/
    http://philippefaraut.com/store/art-reference-casts/female-planes-head.html

Good luck man :)
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    I working now on something big ... I believe. I made a simple base for my character using ZSphere. I don't want to pay attention on body details, because character will be have clothes which hide everything. Maybe that is cheat, yeah ... maybe someday I will try to make body of that person ...

Concept
    So this will be Clementine from The Walking Dead Telltale Game, but a little older than she was in TWD2.
    Here is a concept which I found in Google Graphic (I think this is just screen of the model from game)
    Clem_Concept.jpg

My progress

Clem_01.JPG
    Clem_03.JPG
    Clem_04.JPG
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Here is my latest progress. Folds especially on shirt need to work.

Clem_05_Head.JPG
    Clem_06_BodyJPG.JPG

what do you think?
    I spent a lot of time on folds, but I'm still not satisfied (especially shirt)
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    After really long time I'm back with my sculpt.
    Clem_SculptDone.jpg

What do you think?
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Here is another fast bust sculpt made by myself. I'm usually make low poly stuff like on my portfolio, but I trying improve my skills also in digital sculpting and in other parts of 3d graphic. Hope you like it :D

Bust_Mafiu.jpg
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with what some of the others say in regards to the eyes. It seems to be the most reoccurring thing that keeps happening in all of your head sculpts and also stands out to be out of place. Unless if you were going for a stylized look on all your sculpts then that would be fine but if not then you should definitely work on the construction of the eyes more.

You need to look at eye references and study it. The eyes on most of your sculpts have that UFO alien eyes going on.
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for comment. I know, that eyes are the most hardest to sculpt, but I really thought that the last head is close to be perfect one. If not, then I need to still practice and practice :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I think you may be making the eyeballs too big in the socket. An average eye has a diameter of 25 mm with a 12 mm iris. An average head is about 22 cm tall. Use real world measurements to get the right eyeball size in relation to the head, the results might surprise you.

Also, since the iris is about half the diameter of the eyeball itself, you can use that to approximate the actual size and positioning of the eyeball in reference pictures.

Do keep in mind that eyes are not facing forward perfectly straight, they are facing outward slightly.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Okay, I'm gonna give you something you can compare directly here. Redline (blueline?) and paintover incoming:
    lTJy4NKs.png
    ygi0Xone.png

Sorry if I missed any likeness, I didn't know if this was a study or what so I just exaggerated some forms to show that they were under-defined. :)
    Use more reference of real things. Don't focus on detail, but understanding key forms and proportion and simplifying that. Your details and texture are already okay, but your foundations for proportion are just a little uncanny right now.
    Study the Planes of the Head reference (particularly the simplification of the eye area! this should help you out in that area).
    And don't forget anatomy4sculptors if you need to understand any areas in particular. Keep going and learning.
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Oh! Thanks for that comment and that planar head reference which is great and useful.

I was busy doing other stuff, but now maybe I will back to sculpting.
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Sometimes I really like to take a brake from hard surface modelling stuff and step to sculpting for a moment. This is what I have made with my old sculpt made for Polycount challenge, this is my low poly model. Yeah, I didn't create everything like on concept, but I just wanted to finish this :)

Veezen_Character.jpg