Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Agatha Knight -Crown of Cobalt, Blade of Mercurial Wrath

interpolator
Online / Send Message
zetheros interpolator
Hey everyone! My name is Sheng, but I generally go by 'Zetheros' online. I am a modern armoursmith, and I concept/model/texture/animate game assets and characters using photoshop, zbrush, and modo, and will be working with the Unreal Engine soon, to make a game of my own.

I've played Chivalry for a few weeks, and I really enjoyed the combat, but then I moved to China and the latency here is terrible for mmo's. I was that guy with the bidenhander and 40+ kills... sorry ;)

I've been studying and building plate armour of the 15th-16th centuries for the past 5 years, specifically Gothic plate, and the Maximilian-styled fluted armour. Here are some pics of a model I've been working on (that I will eventually build irl, out of carbon steel, leather, hemp cloth or linen, here at my dad's house in China)

Here is a (really) rough zbrush concept for my next suit of armour, Desiderium Sigil, Plate of the Godslayer.

Most of the armour is 16th c. Maximilian, however there are influences of Negroli, the gauntlets are 15th c. Gothic, and the pauldron guards are from a late 15th c. jousting suit. The cuirass and backplate have the globule shape and fluting of Maximilian, but has the articulations and a more slim-shape reminiscent of Gothic, and the flutes run in the same way as gothic armour.

The cloth articles are not contemporary, I just thought it'd look cool :)

1HrznE9.png

n2VWLqy.png
GIoQtcb.png

KYLJ324.png

Replies

• zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    An earlier concept;
    kLEopRL.jpg
    rgdqvpU.jpg
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Sorry, didn't read the rules, please delete post - I will post in WIP.

Edit: Nevermind, this is WIP. Above screencaps are not my final submission.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I will be doing a set for Agatha Knight. Here I have imported Sir. Knight into modo. Already I see problems.

Capture.png

Anyway, I've started the the head + body, because just starting with the head is a fatal mistake. You get a better sense of proportions with sculpting on an entire body.

Imported into Zbrush. Why is the mesh off center?
    Capture1.png

I checked back with modo, and it was not only off center, but asymmetrical.
    Capture2.png

That's alright I suppose, I can still center it with seneca's script and work around it, but it would be better if the mesh were symmetrical.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I love the approach and already feel like competition is too tough.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Well dzibarik, I am very unusual. Not many people are this fanatical about armour :(

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and this is just one of my strengths, it's really kind of ridiculous really, I mean medieval armour? Kind of hard to find a job just for that.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    The head model isn't symmetrical either, but I guess I will use it instead, so there is less deviation caused by the body.

Capture3.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    This is all I needed to make in zbrush for now. My helmet design is more suited for modo at this time. However, later I will add repousse and chasing details in zbrush, gold trim, bluing, and other organic details.

Capture4.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Beginning retopo.

Capture5.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Actually, roll back. Still working in zbrush.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Not done yet! There's still an entire month of tinkering and improvement I can do. I really don't like how we can't edit the coif. It makes the neck really fat.

Capture7.png
    Capture6.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Almost ready for the repousse details. For the repousse, I'm going to use a separate mesh, since it can get messy in 3d...
    Capture8.png

Testing to see what the helmet looks like on the character. So far so good.

Capture9.png
    Capture11.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    It's about time a game called "Chivalry" receives a proper, historically sexy, knight's armet. After all, a helmet is the most important piece of armour, next to the cuirass and articulated gorget.

This is all I'm going to do in Zbrush for now. Onto modo.

Capture12.png
    Capture13.png

Most of the detailing will be done with textures and normal map, I don't think repousse fits the look of Agatha.
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    It's looking sweet. You're making the rest of the armour for yourself?
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Aye, the first few pictures on this thread will become real armour, made of steel, leather, linen, etc; tailored to fit me. My workshop is half set up, I just need a few more supplies to start shaping metal :)

I have my own style of art, but I think that the point of this challenge is to not make something completely in 'your style', rather it's to make something amazing that will fit in with Chivalry's existing artstyle and 3d assets, so I picked a helmet style that is great for conserving polygons, and also looks great and 'in character' on a Agatha Knight.

This is what 440 triangles looks like. I'm by no means a professional at low-poly, but the helmet's mesh is already fairly close to the mesh resolution of Chivalry's models.

I could either not use the rest, and allow the savings for improved game performance, but since this is a mesh for an item that will be bought, it will only appear occasionally in the game, I'll probably use the rest of the 560 spare polygons for either repousse detail, or perhaps a feathered plume (but that might not be allowed, due to size/animation limitations.)

Capture15.png
    Capture14.png
    Capture17.png
    Capture16.png

For the texturing, I'm planning on partial blued steel, acid etch designs, brass trim, perhaps something to do with lions, and a cross design that intertwines with the visor.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Just noticed that the poly limits seem to have been bumped up! Interesting...
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    So there are many different kinds of 'smiths'.

Blacksmiths generally work with just iron. They make ALL sorts of tools, horseshoes, basically anything usable out of metal. What they usually don't work on are swords and armour, because while the tools, techniques, and materials are somewhat similar, they are also quite different.

Swordsmiths work on swords. It's a very difficult profession requiring a lot of experience and knowledge to be good at, because if you're a swordsmith, your day to day regime is basically making an incredibly thin, long, flexible, and very, very sharp, piece of metal be able to chop down anything from trees to humans to cars.

Armoursmiths are similar to swordsmiths in that they too are highly specialized, requiring exacting knowledge of a human's range of motion and anatomy, a lot of trial and error to figure out how to make articulations for every part of the body, and an experienced hand to shape steel, either cold, hot, or both, to encase a human in indestructible plate armour.

...So no more throwing the title 'blacksmith' everywhere. If you take your sword to get sharpened at a blacksmith, they will definitely mess your blade up, unless they are also a swordsmith, in which case you should take your sword to a dedicated swordsmith, and not that farmer down the road hammering on a red hot pair of horse shoes, who used to sharpen a few swords here and there for spare change back in ye olde war, no matter how friendly he might seem...
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Did some detailing in Zbrush today. Lookin' sharp...

Yeah, I know they look a little like feathers, but they never said you couldn't decorate with anything more than just bears, crosses, and blue!

Capture20.png
    Capture18.png
    Capture21.png
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I like the direction you're going with the helmet. Very distinguishable and dynamic shape. What's your plan for the top (feathery) part since we can't use opacity maps? Are you going to just make it a planar object with that shape or actually give it depth?
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    It's actually going to be all steel, covered in ornate repousse, acid etching, and inlayed gold wire. I thought feathers could be cool at first, but then I wanted longer feathers... and then I realized that if I had longer feathers, they would need to animate, maybe using PhysX sdk, otherwise it would mean adding bones and giving every character action a wobble for the feathers =/
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    There's still a lot to do, but I added a few things today.

Capture24.png
    Capture22.png

Capture23.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Going to pull another all-nighter. I can keep doing this forever.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Yum, wine for breakfast!

Here's to playing with colors.

Capture27.png
    Capture28.png

This is what I mean by 'blued' steel, in case anyone was wondering. Basically, carbon steel is treated with fire.

Capture25.png
    Capture26.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Hey, this is the official WIP thread for my submission now. I couldn't figure out how to change my previous title. For past WIP screencaps, visit: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139081

I will be making a set for the Agatha Knight. It will feature a helmet, sword, and shield. The Crown of Cobalt, Blade of Mercurial Wrath, and Ferocity Visage - Grand Shield of Agatha.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I'm currently working on the close helm / armet hybrid known as the Crown of Cobalt.

Capture27.png
    Capture28.png

Capture25.png
    Capture26.png
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Yeah, I'm subscribing. This is awesome.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Haha thanks.

I made a new thread though, since I can't figure out how to change the title of this one =/

Here ya go: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139190
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    New thread, good to know. I'll stick around here.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I just merged these threads together to keep all your works in progress in the same thread. If anyone needs to change their thread title, just ask a moderator to do so.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Oh, awesome! Thanks Lucas.

I'm starting on the repousse details on the center ridge. It's going to be of a battlefield, with a lion snacking on a large bird and fleeing masons behind it.

Here are the first few lines of the lion;

Capture29.png
  • zetheros
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Not Negroli-level, but I think it gets the job done :D

Capture31.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Done with the repousse and chasing for now, time to move on to other things!

Capture32.png
    Capture33.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Okay, One more shot, at an angle.

Capture34.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Took a few minutes to get a snack, and think of what I should make next. I decided on making a tower shield.

Now, shields are probably one of the most inaccurately represented items in popular culture. You see all these guys with shields made of all-steel, giant tower shields. No! That's not going to be fun to fight with, at all! Most shields were made of wood, treated and glued all together with leather, canvas, or other coverings, and with a nice cereal-bowl sized carbon steel 'boss' in the center, which is where your hand/arm would be behind it. This is so that any blows that might hit dead center, where your hand is, would glance off the boss and land on the shield. Metal was basically used only used for smaller shields, like bucklers.

Don't believe me? duct tape a rectangle of 18 gauge steel to your arm, that's nearly as tall as you are, and have fun.

Another thing is the grip. You want the straps at an angle, so that when you get bashed on by folks with 50lb sledge hammers (made of crystals and magic and stuff) the force either glances off your shield, or is evenly distributed across your arm. That way, the shield doesn't swing around on it's straps and knock your teeth out.

But since this game has a giant, all-metal tower shield, and these things look freaking amazing, I'm going to make a giant, all-metal tower shield, in the style of the 15th-16th century! Woooooot!
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    So this looks to be the right size for a shield. It's a tower shield, so it's going to be big; but not too big otherwise it'll clip into the calves and upper arm with running / swing animations. Once again, it's the reference mesh that's asymmetrical and off center, not the shield blank.

Capture10.png
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    this looks sick and is getting better and better.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Whoops! Sort of fell asleep there. Thanks Dzibarik. My logic is, if I have a chance at earning an average of 39-45k, for just three models, I'm going to do a damn good job, and basically work every day until the deadline. Even if I don't win, I'll have some pretty outstanding pieces for my portfolio.

Also, the helmet isn't even nearly done yet. Most of the work will be in the textures and mapping. I'm just swapping to a shield because I need to change up the workflow a bit.

Roughing out the shield.

Capture19.png
    Capture210.png
  • zetheros
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start! What material choices are you thinking for this? Steel with some gold etching? Match your helmet a bit?
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Thanks 9thKnight, the materials and style will be fairly consistent with the helmet.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, any plans for etching or riveting on the rest of the shield? Or just trying to stay focused on the lion on it?
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Oh, for sure; the whole thing will be highly detailed. I will be including a coat of arms, too.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    That will be sweeeeeet. Looking forward to it!
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Had a fairly busy day today, just got back. I've touched up some of the details, and also swapped the face halves, since I forgot the characters in Chivalry are right-handed (I'm left-handed). I want the human face closer to the front when they are fighting, so when the character raises his shield to block, the shield would rotate from human to lion.

Capture51.png
  • zetheros
  • Alphonse
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphonse polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking absolutely insane. Terrific job with all that detail.

Could I ask a very noob question, pls? Are you doing the repousse in Photoshop or something like that or directly on Zbrush/any other 3d soft.

I was planning to have some carvings and relieves on a sword skin and my first choice was going to be a lot of PS and hand painting the texture maps.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Hey Alphonse, thanks for the comment! I'll probably be hand-painting the repousse in photoshop. It probably won't need too much work, after I normal map.

However, I'm also thinking about looking for a program that would be good for painting directly onto the model, since I feel that it would be easier to determine where to paint light and shadows, and also because it's more natural than painting on a flat, unwrapped UV.

I saw that blender has a feature where you can directly paint onto a low-poly game model, it looked pretty sophisticated, but there might be something better out there.

For a sword, I imagine that it would be easier to just unwrap and paint it all in photoshop, if both sides of the sword are symmetrical. Swords are pretty much flat already.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I spent a great deal of time deciding my next course of action, so I combined the helmet and shield together onto Sir. Knight.

The first thing I noticed was that the boss was too large, and conflicted with the more realistic aesthetics of the helmet, so I made it smaller. I also decided to add additional repousse locations, and have masked lines for flutes.

Capture71.png
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    More progress. I extruded the flute lines, and creased them by hand, using the pinch brush for a very slight handmade look.

Capture81.png
    Capture91.png
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Aaaaawww yeeeeeee, I really like what' you're doing there with the scalloping