Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Piece

Hey guys,

I would to get some feedback from the awesome community on one of my portfolio pieces I working on a scene with an Asian theme I was think on an a snowy mountain view with a with monastery. This is what I've done so far bare in mins obviously its no where close to being finished. Also if you wanna know I using Marmoset Toolbag to render, 3Ds Max to model and Photoshop to texture. So would love to get some feedback on how to improve and thoughts on what you think so far thanks

testl.jpg

Replies

• Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    The first thing that jumped out at me was that the terrain closest to the viewer is very clearly low res. Is there a way for you to increase the LOD on that specific part?
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the texture up close is blurry do you think a detail normal map will help bring up the textural density??
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think this scene is probably a bit too big for marmoset. You'd get better results in UE4. You can create some really nice landscapes with world machine. And you can make some more complex materials.
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion komaokc I actually don't know own UE4 yet but I'm planing on getting it soon I have played around with UDK for a long time so I'm really interested in getting UE4. But thanks for the suggestion
  • chamade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chamade polycounter lvl 5
    Some kind of sky gradient and/or clouds would really help since right now half of your image appears like a grey swatch. Also, adding atmosphere and fog will integrate the sky with the terrain.
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes your right chamade adding some fog would give more depth in the scene and the sky does look a bit boring right now yes thanks for your input chamade
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    yeaah.. while I love marmoset and all I think it's better to keep it for rendering smaller/single object props or characters.

Not building this in a game engine is going to hurt you in the long run without texture blending/LODs/baking global illumination/direct control of fog/water/etc.

The nice thing about Unreal Engine 4 is once you spend the $20 for a month you can immeadiately cancel your sub, but you still get to keep the current version you have downloaded to make stuff with.

Waaay better than the locked in for a year subscription Unity Pro has, god I regret signing into that since you know.. real life basically made my sub useless for months.
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Deathstick I agree with everything you've have said but I actually have just bought UE4. Thanks for telling me that you can cancel and still keep UE4 i didnt know could save me some money.
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 1

Done

- Block out stage

Working:

- Started work on the Monastery part of the Enviroment

asian_monestaryworking_001.jpg

To Do List:

- Re-Texture mountains to improve textual density

- finish modelling the Monastery, UV, texture

- Re-Light scene

- Post Production
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 2

I finished modelling the Monastery parts of the scene now I going to UV the scene

asian_monestaryworking_012.jpg

asian_monestaryworking_012a.jpg
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything has been UV'ed now its time to texture
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks cool, i like the buildings.
  • AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, its looks very nice. One thing that i am not sure about are stairs, they look big and windows very small.
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the nice comment lotet
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autoexit can you tell me which stair looks big to you the one on the side of the building of the one in the balcony area. Also do you think all the windows are too small or just a few would love if you elaborated a little more thanks :)
  • phking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have finally finished working on my portfolio piece I would love if you want to give me a comment. So my final closing out thoughts would be that I think this piece went really well I really like the final outcome and I hope you guys like it too. It was my first fowray into a PBR workflow and I have to say it was too hard of a transition from last gen texturing techniques. The big issue I had was it took me a bit longer then I wanted I know it's a portfolio piece and I can take as long as I want but I wanna work to a deadline to simulate a work environment. Also I really think rendering the environment In marmoset was the wrong way to go I'm moving to UE4 for my next piece. One final thing I am looking for a job right now if anyone is looking for a 3d environment art don't hesitate to contact me indie or big studio please contact me. (Email: phking@hotmail.co.uk). Ok thanks if you read the whole thing and make sure you give me a comment.

image_0.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg