Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | August 2014 | Tilda / Mech

Replies

• iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    After reading a PDF abotu the UV standards for League of legends i decided to redo my UV's again, this time including more mirroring set ups. Hopefully this makes painting easier. I was also able to greatly increase the size of the head on here too which is good.

I'll continue texturing tonight. Seems practically spot on.

daKX4tx.jpg

@DenO Dude that is amazing :D

Looks spot on!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @DenO Great small details there ! My jaws' on the floor in awe.

I'm way behind schedule if I am to finish this in this month >_<" I fixed the legs and gave her more details. I am going to start on the lowpoly now.
    asooHaK.jpg
  • thepapercut
    @Donengland: Thank you good sir. But doing this for 2.5 years between semesters of school, I question if I am stuck at a starting phase after this long, is it worth even continuing?
    Also Really dig the model. looks incredibly sharp, and looking forward to seeing it in it's completed phase.

@Pyrzern: So are you saying I should learn Zbrush to fully understand the process? I would agree with your comment, I am partially lost on the chain of command, but I feel another factor is being away from the work while the semester is on and all my time is on traditional painting and drawing. By the time the end rolls around I feel new to the program all over again. I've tried looking for local help, but when people say the midwest is technologically challenged it is the truth. I can't name drop Zbrush or character production without people giving me looks as if I'm talking a foreign language to them. I'm not going to give up, but I just can't help but dawn on the question if this journey has a darker end than I'd want.
    Also on your model, really dig the arm pieces..really capturing the concepts spirit.

@iadagraca: Could I get that pdf off of you? I'm curious to see how riot does their uv's. Also really like your model, follows the concept spot on.

@DenO: Lovely sculpt, super clean and detailed :thumbup:
    @devingeesr: It looks good, keep at it!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I think everything has a darker side to it...
    I had been a ballroom dance instructor. At first, it was because I could dance as a hobby, and I would be trained, and I knew some instructors who really inspired me to be like them. Turned out the 'instructing' part was the easiest part of the job. The selling of dance lessons part was the hardest. It's not easy to convince customers who at first saw dancing as nothing more than cool stuff they can learn off of youtube videos and thought it would not cost more than a AAA videogame ($50 price tag) or two. Oh boy was I and them were wrong. Convincing them to part with 3-4 grands every few months to keep dancing is anything but easy. And the selling skill isn't even listed on the damn job requirement >_>"

Anyway, I'm not saying that getting your hands on ZBrush will make anyone hire-able... I don't think there's ever a guarantee for that. (I have no idea how far I can go, and if so, how long will it take. But apart from doing this, I have absolutely no clue what else I wanna do in my life -apart from reading manga and watching anime, listening to songs and play videogames and dance the Friday nights away... ) However, ZBrush (or any sculpting software) is what will get you better in modeling 3d stuff. I do not know what you're studying or the situation that you are in, if you're in any. But I have seen your works for a few months. Correct me if I am wrong, 3d stuff you make have been staggering. They are close to the next steps, but it hasn't happened.

I have been box-modeling for like 2-3 yrs or something. I couldn't move on. I tried ZB and it didn't make sense, so I gave up on it. I tried hand-painting, looked like crap. Still can't paint a damn thing. So, I got stuck. I wanted to make cool stuff, but I can't. If I don't paint, then I have to sculpt. It's one or the other. So, I decided to learn ZBrush for real. If you don't want to get stuck that much longer, you gotta pick up more skills now.

You say you do tradition drawing and painting ? What kind ? Can you paint texture ? Can you draw volume ? If so, you get a good head start. At least better than me. I can't paint and I can barely draw anything.

Below are my stuff from 2009-2011. Looking at them pisses me off. Because they were this close from being finished, (with many mistakes and errors) yet they were not.

N0Xm0eI.pngZU0KNCEl.jpgbFCft8Zl.jpg
  • iadagraca
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress for tonight after redoing the UV's now i'm plagued by flaws in the model and where seams are. :P

But lesson learned for next time!

This is just the basic color so far, i'll be doing more with the texture once i get all the basics down.

lamJpt1.png
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    @DenO that looks damn good man I can't wait to see the texture on that!

@PyrZern Great insight!

@thepapercut Hey man thanks for the input. I also understand being stuck in the starters blocks and not being able to get out when every one seems to be sprinting ahead. All I can say it stick with it and keep pushing. I graduated AI in 2006 and have yet to put together a good body of work to get work. But you have to push your self. It's hard man but if this is your dream then you have to work for it I suck at texturing which you will so see but the only way you will get better is by putting in the work. I advise every on to watch the videos from the zbrush summit and watch the videos with the artist Danny Williams. He talks about failing over and over again that is the only way to learn. Make steps at getting better at something every day!

@iadagraca Looking good man I can't wait to see the finished product.

mech_008.jpg

Here is the finished lowpoly mesh I have a few things to fix/add in photoshop.
    The final tri count is 13900. I might come back and add more details after this but for now the model is done.
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @DonEngland: Nice bake man! some edges look a little too soft imo but nothing significant. good job!

@devingeer: so far so good. Interesting take on that missile launcher.

@iadagraca: I like the texture so far, hand-painted low-poly ftw :)

Retopo'd, UV'd, started texturing. Really dirty bake, but looks okay I guess. Around 13.5k triangles. 3*2048 maps (lolol). Not too happy with this project overall but I learned a lot of lessons for the next one (biggest lesson: don't cut corners).

fHYccwx.jpg
  • CLo
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Sorry for the late post. Was on vacation at the start of the month and now I'm trying to get school things in order so I can graduate at the end of the semester. But here's my tilda so far. Got a few days in on her.

tumblr_naool6nUKm1tvqhkgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_naooxneYhn1tvqhkgo1_1280.jpg

Far from perfect, but I'm liking how it feels so far.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on the texture painting, i think i made a mistake in not modeling under the skirt XD. any suggestions for making that look less weird? I don't have time to fix the model then retexture stuff.

I might just darken the area more...or maybe i should just leave it alone?

KgK7skM.jpg

@Clo Looks good but the arms need more structure to them.

@Abidus Yeah looks like we all got lessons to learn XD

Still really good though :D

I barely have time for this so i'm not sure how i could have done the mech in time if i choose that.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abidus Don't we all learn something from this, lol :P Looking good there mate.

@CLo I think her legs and her feet are too long.

@iadagraca I agree. More contrast. And darken areas behind other objects. Like, her sleeves under the gauntlets or her skin close to the furs. Unless you wanna go PBR.

Started making lowpoly. 2.7k Tri so far. I really wish I could see preview how the baking will come out on the fly <_<"
    c7e4d059df91e55363daa176c686323a.png
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @DenO: Thanks. I like how your character is coming along. Love the compression folds.

@thepapercut: Only you can determine what the effort is worth. I would recommend making a simple character like a Minecraft character. It is very important to get some mileage on the whole process. New programmers sometimes try making an MMO, when they should be remaking asteroids. I think art can be the same way.

In my experience, the fastest way to improve is not just time on task, but a clear understanding of fundamentals.

Thanks man, and good luck.

@devingeesr: Nice progress, it's good to see more mechs approaching the finish line.

@Abidus: Thanks. Yes some of my models edges and form is off, but I'm pressing forward anyways.

You're making good progress. I think it's important to get through the whole process, even if you're not happy with the current project. I'm looking forward to seeing more completed pieces.

@CLo: Nice start. I think the anatomy seems a bit off. Do you usually model in T pose?

@iadagraca: Unfortunately, I don't have a clear answer on UV's. I think you're right about switching to mirrored UVs, expecially for this low poly asset. I think the underskirt is dark enough atm. I like the hand painting. Are you going to increase the value contrast on the rest of the model? The gauntlet looks really nice.

@PyrZern: Good progress, I'm looking forward to seeing more models at the low poly stage.

--
    I made some texturing progress, but noticed some baking errors after painting all the decals. I completely updated the whole model: added some geo, fixed smoothing groups, repacked UVs.

I updated my model in substance painter and it automatically placed all previous texturing on the new model!

I'll be adding wear damage along with color and roughness variation.

The knee pad may get replaced. Sitting at ~14.5K triangles now.
    POgBEFk.png
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    t3pE2Sk.jpg

Done for tonight, I'm not sure i can continue working on the texture and finish on time so I'll likely make some adjustments and move on to redoing the weapon tomorrow.

Then a quick rig to pose her and maybe a little stage and I'll have something :P

@DonEnglind It depends on what i do with the final, but i will be adding some more contrast, I'm just taking it slow with doing that :P

Considering its my first time painting a model like this and Photoshop is giving me issues with the texture painting so I'm being very cautious i guess.

I would also like to mention that i wanted to do eye lashes but i have no idea how. i think the resolution doesn't permit it. Or the way i modeled the frame isn't good enough. So I'll have to fix a lot of things.
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca: looks great! If this is your first time painting a model, then I can't wait to see your second try :p.

@Pyrzern: tell me about it! being able to tell how things will bake would save me so much grief and future self-loathing.

--

texture update:
    24cUsG0.jpg
  • CLo
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    @DonEngland yeah I normally do the t-pose, it's a bit easier at this juncture though I've played around with the A pose as well.

Worked on her proportions and body again, got the choker in which is helping a bit as well.

tumblr_naqlgdeTz21tvqhkgo1_1280.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks better there man. Let's see you shape up her arms next :)

Also, concept voting for next month is go.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138910

I'm still retop'ing mine :P
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca: Great update on the painting, looking forward to seeing the weapon and pose.

@Abidus: I like the texture update, are you still using 3x2048 texures?

@CLo: I agree with PyrZern. Try to add some shape to the arms.

--

Texturing update, I've added some wear and tear. Next up is fixing the lower waist edge, adding color and roughness variation.
    7bMi5zd.png
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland: Thanks. I actually bumped it down to 3*1024 maps, since the low poly model doesn't have enough geometry to really take advantage of a 2k maps.

Calling this done. Turned out okay in the end, but there is a lot that could have been done better. Still, learned a lot of valuable lessons this time, looking forward to the next project!

JJIj3ds.jpg
    uil6X9Y.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    What should i use to display my model in real time? I thought i would use blender since it had great lighting options and such. But for some reason alpha channels in that are horrible.

I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or what but i can't get alpha channels to look right every thing else is perfect.

EDIT: actually i can't get the alpha texture to work properly anywhere, it even glitches in sketch fab, am i doing something wrong?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get Alpha to in sketchfab either :(
    You can use Marmoset Toolbag for renderer. Or throw the model inside a game engine like UE4 or something :)
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Does quicksilver in 3ds max count?
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Duck polycounter lvl 3
    I had to stop working on this for a while and only got back to it a few days ago, where I went crazy at it without updating progress. There's still the hair, weapon and *maybe* base to do, so I'm guessing this will probably take longer than the end of the month but I feel like it'll be a good portfolio piece when it's done. I'm just breaking all the rules!

Things done since last time:

- Finished sculpt (Need to focus on more micro-detail next time around as well as staying more faithful to the proportions and bigger details)
    - Retopped and unwrapped (Ended up pretty dense, I wanted detail over tri count so it's in the high 20k range even without hair or weapon)
    - Laid out some preliminary hair planes for later
    - Experimented with creating a displacement map which I've never done before in xnormal. It kind of worked but it's not very noticeable.
    - Made a detail base and started texturing:

XxiEVa9.jpg

So yeah I'll be chipping away at the various texture maps and keep updated at big advancements.
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abidus: Grats on finishing!

@iadagraca: For realtime rendering I use marmoset, unity, and or unreal engine 4.

Try this for blender.

Blender settings:
    6GGR40c.png

Image used:
    XjVcXaZ.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hand retopology >_<'
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland
    my issues in blender seem to go deeper than settings... here's some images to get an idea...

It seems like when i fix one thing something else happens. its a mess really.

here's the blender file if you want to give it a shot XD

But i'd hate for you to waste your time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/beaignlamx0b2sd/Tilda.blend?dl=0

This image below happens when i hit "play game"
    VUPIVgr.jpg

These below happen in the view port and opengl render.
    7Qpl7E8.jpg

at first i had thiss issue with the eyes
    Alzm44d.jpg
    then i tried merging all the objects in to one to fix it and this happened.
    fgCWaFG.jpg

I guess i could try udk since i know a little about that, i'll probably just pose and every before hand then import it there as a static mesh :P
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca: I think I found the problem. Under material->Game Settings: set Alpha Blend mode from [Alpha Blend] to [Alpha Clip]

There is no waste of time, only use of time.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Added: 18k tris already. Hairs + furs gonna be fun <_<" I probably should add a loop for where her leggings meet her thighs...
    qrKGa4n.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @donengland

Yes that sort of works but it doesn't permit smooth transitions only alpha on/alpha off like a mask or something.

So the circle on the eye goes solid, the gradient goes away for the shade on the eye, and the leaf looks a lot smaller etc.

i was hoping for the alpha channels to work normally.
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca: Is this the result you're looking for?
    NPOSoQV.png

If this is the desired result you will need to fix the sorting problem. One way to do this is to separate the eye components and then rejoin them in the proper draw order. In blender, select iris, shift select sclera, ctrl+j. More information in the wiki: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Transparency_map

Good luck.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @donengland

well i'm definitely getting some kinda results. man this is a weird problem and i'm sure i'll keep getting it.

Reading up more on this apprently programs like UDK have tools to fix this in engine.

Jeeze why can't blender have a function like that X(

So far i'm getting results all over the place, it seems like what ever i select second gets hidden?
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Whelp i got everything except the eye shade which refuses to respond to anything. All i got to do is select it before i take the cap XD
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    So i found a solution by randomly posting on a site.

turns out in the space bar menu there's a "sort mesh elements" option. will be testing this for results!

EDIT: Well that works in some ways and not in others.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca I hope you find ways to make it work.

Testing furs :)
    There are 3.8k of Tris in there atm for the furs. There are 2 fur textures atm. The back is a big mess !! I will get rid of like half of the Tris, and make the 3rd fur texture.
    y1pi0KS.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    So open GL render still shows the alpha problem XD but if i click the eye shade object it goes away so it looks fine in the viewport :/
    2iRiuuh.png

This is how it looks in the viewport. An i didn't have problems with texture seams before and now i do XD

xYNqeet.png

Meh i'll just do without the eye shade >:/
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus wrote: »
    @DonEngland: Thanks. I actually bumped it down to 3*1024 maps, since the low poly model doesn't have enough geometry to really take advantage of a 2k maps.

Calling this done. Turned out okay in the end, but there is a lot that could have been done better. Still, learned a lot of valuable lessons this time, looking forward to the next project!

JJIj3ds.jpg
    uil6X9Y.jpg

Nice job I wish I would of thought of some thing better to do with the back of my mech I will be posting some images soon.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abidus Great work there mate !! Looks neat. Will there be action pose ?

Meanwhile, I'm struggling with my Tilda. The hairplanes are quite too thin to give it nice texture and alpha... ANd furs at her ankles are playing hard to get...
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern HANG IN THERE!

I'd like to call mine done :D

I don't have time to add the cat, but i think this looks good.

QMePc7f.jpg

EoELb83.gif
  • EightEye
    Offline / Send Message
    EightEye polycounter lvl 7
    Great work guys! keep at it! and congrats to those who have finished already. I think its too late for me to joint this month's. I'll be looking forward for next month :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo, EightEye, here's the voting thread for next month :) Cast your voice now !
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138910
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern: Nice progress, are you going for the shell method for fur?

@iadagraca: Great finish.

--

I'm mostly done on the texturing. I'll be moving into pose and maybe environment. I'm not sure yet.
    HefrQBb.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland Hey, what is 'Shell Method' ? Also, great job on the mech man. If you make an envo for it too, that'd be so rad !

I test-baked the body piece. Looks quite clean ^^
    TaPkEf3.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @PryZern: I couldn't find the tut in a quick search, but there was information on it in the wiki here. I think there was another short tut on artforgames: http://artforgames.com/rodrigo/knight-fan-art-real-time/

I haven't used it myself.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]db8bd79dd33042a8bd1f29dc1047ca88[/SKETCHFAB]

Posted to sketchfab! I realize i made a big mistake in not connecting the shoulders to the body XD

Also the uv seams some how went away in blender but came back in sketchfab, so lesson learned there.

Any suggestions of improvement?

Here is the blend file for anyone who wants it.
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca Nice job man it came together nicely! The only thing that really see are the seams in the middle of the face and on the leg other then that great job!

Here is my update I might add a ground plan as well!

mech_F01.jpg
    mech_F02.jpgmech_F03.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @devingeesr Yeah i didn't see those in blender XD. but i know how to avoid that in the future.

You model looks really cool! You could try using a sharpening filter on the texture, i think it could benefit from it.
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Duck polycounter lvl 3
    @Pyrzern looking nice! Just a personal preference, but I think a solid bit of geometry underneath the fluffy part would have helped to give it more mass, instead of having to try and define the entire form just by using planes

@iadagraca I love how that turned out! The bright high contrast really compliments the low poly style! If I could make any suggestion, it'd be that I wish you didn't symmetry the face because that texture seam is too noticeable (on sketchfab at least)

@devingeesr Nice attention to detail, I think it could benefit from some lighting on the gloss and specular to give it a more metal surface, right now it looks like it's made out of ceramic tile or something!

Here's my always-slow progress, just trying to figure out the spec and gloss values along with surface details for each part..

vdpLGDI.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca Thank I will do that and see how it turns out.

@Atelier Yeah I saw that I'm still playing round with it trying to not make it to shinny.
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Face UV Wrapping >_<" That NOSE!!

fd409a67c502f0ca9cbf98186d53ea81.png

Made some adjustment and baked it :)
    1c9b7b9e00e11d6df1fd4d46414e75c1.png
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    twoquiznos polycounter lvl 4
    hey guys a lot of sweet stuff on here just realized that i havent posted anything in a while so here is an update

did the uvs all one piece sitting at 4500 tris one texture map at 2048

have the next two days off so posting now so i work hard on it just have basics painted right now still lots to do