Home General Discussion

The Foundry summer sale til Sept 19: Modo new license 40% off

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/

Meshfusion under $300 again like intro sale. Training vids also included in promo.

Free limited time trials for 801 and meshfusion here http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/trymodo/

And if you already have Modo installed and want to evaluate character animation there's a free simple rigged character (amongst a bunch of others) included in 701 or 801 content that you can use along with an official youtube basic tutorial. Follow instructions or just watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPj_Ey2IT9E&list=UUxn8WbrqCJl7G6i-yI_mFyg

Replies

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Arh, just bought it like a week ago :D
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try asking for a credit which you can use towards other stuff like kits or training videos. I'm not sure if The Foundry would be as generous but in the old Luxology days people who complained :) in the forums got some deal or something after missing a sale by a week.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, that would be awesome! I will send them a friendly mail :)
    Thanks!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    !
    Did the extended trial-didn't get as much time with it as I'd like but enjoyed what I did. fully featured for under 1K...Really considering for the next few days.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Hmmm... get modo or get an i7, 16gb of ram, new mobo and gpu... :(
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Thats a great deal. Only thing that bugs me is that they kind of penalize existing modo users who havent upgraded yet. To put it in perspective, upgrading is almost half the price of a new license at 40%. They should probably apply that across the board.

Still cant justify spending $300 on mesh fusion, despite it being awesome.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Sweet, actually had some time freed up so am looking forward to taking another spin with the new version of Modo, downloading the trial now :)

EDIT: Does anyone happen to know any starter tuts please, literally the basics like navigation, UI, etc?
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some guy in another thread was thinking of buying it but was waiting for a sale but I can't remember who. Hope he sees this.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    EDIT: Does anyone happen to know any starter tuts please, literally the basics like navigation, UI, etc?

Digital tutors has a great set, and theres also the stuff for the Modo SE edition, which carries over to the full thing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202604023
    and some additional stuff here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/244290/videos (SE based)
    http://www.modopedia.com/videos/ (full, massive library of modo tuts)

Starting off I would recommend Pressing O in the viewport, and turning off trackball rotation. This will make adapting to the software easier, once you are more familiar with it you can decide if you want trackball on again.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    Thats a great deal. Only thing that bugs me is that they kind of penalize existing modo users who havent upgraded yet. To put it in perspective, upgrading is almost half the price of a new license at 40%. They should probably apply that across the board.

Still cant justify spending $300 on mesh fusion, despite it being awesome.

They did in this case ... upgrades to 801 are on sale too.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Awesome, thanks!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    They did in this case ... upgrades to 801 are on sale too.

I got that, I was trying to imply the disparity between a 25% discount for existing users vs the 40% discount for new users.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    I got that, I was trying to imply the disparity between a 25% discount for existing users vs the 40% discount for new users.

Yeah, looks like a token sale for non 801 users. I expect 40% off in their Christmas sale, although I can wait upgrading from 701 until I see what's in 901. Hoping meshfusion and something like ACS would be included then.

Wild guess, TF saw what Zbrush 4r7's all about and want to get a sale in for new licensess before 4r7 finishes beta.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Wild guess, TF saw what Zbrush 4r7's all about and want to get a sale in for new licensess before 4r7 finishes beta.

Possibly, though more likely its a tie in with the big CG Society contest in which they require people use the 801 (full or trial) for entry, that and Siggraph.

I'm also probably going to hold out to 901, still waiting on a major improvement to the viewport and some pro-game artist stuff. Mesh Fusion really needs to go down in price or be included in something like Modo, though I can understand why third parties need to make their revenue as well... hope it doesnt prevent the devs from focusing on improvements that may cannibalize on such plugins.

Closest thing I have seen to Mesh Fusion btw is blender's free BoolTools plugin.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't hesitate though if there's a V-ray for Modo sale. I'd rather prefer that than zbrush bridge & keyshot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5nQN0ZbOsk"]V-Ray | Modo - YouTube[/ame]
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For sure, Vray integration will really help open more doors as far as modo usage is concerned. The only concern I have with that is that the Modo viewport still stinks in terms of speed and even real time rendering. A lot of higher poly zbrush sculpts I bring i will chug the application, even as a static mesh. So if they can work on that viewport, then it would certainly work. Keyshot's perk is ease of use and the means in which to quickly assign material types.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    dr grim wrote: »
    Some guy in another thread was thinking of buying it but was waiting for a sale but I can't remember who. Hope he sees this.

Haha, I believe that was me. Yes I see it. :) I'm seriously considering picking it up. Although I might try and hold off a bit longer.