Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | August 2014 | Tilda / Mech

Replies

• Nevermind1567
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind1567 polycounter lvl 9
    DenO:Like! Try pulling her upper eyelid down. Aren't the wrists too big?

DonEngland:Cool. But in the last update the shape of the chest seems broken.

PyrZern:Having troubles with her face? ) U combined superciliary arch with eyelid in one object. There's some reference to study: http://s3.amazonaws.com/artspan-fs/member_files/mansuino/artspan%20Michelangelo%20Eye.jpg
    Lips and nose require some of your attention as well.

Abidus:Nice progress. Try using more trim dynamic and hpolish for surface definition. Some faces are looking rampled so far.

bryandsilva:Abidus is right.( Why don't you take your time and start sculpting it once againg paying more attention to anatomy and proportions?

Kdawg: Nice start. Shortening the hands is a good idea. Calfs look too thick and sharp.

dchung:Great start. Torso might be too square.

Thanks for the comments! ) Here's what I've done so far. Yep, the skirt is way too short and she's flashing her underwear, but I'd like to see anyone try staring at her taking into account the size of that scythe. )
    inkGGoA9uMwij.jpg
    iRQ2T6hAHkV2T.jpg
  • Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    You really nailed it Nevermind1567 !
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Nevermind1567: Thanks. I tried polishing up the faces a little more. Organic hard surfaces are tougher than I expected!

Your piece is looking dope so far! really captures the concept very well.

DonEngland: Back is looking much better. As for the side panels, my main concern was that the border part was not in line with the extruded part, and looked a little sloppy. I have it attached to the leg as you mentioned, but I can imagine it being sort of a "skirt" attached to the pelvis (so it can pivot at the pelvis to accommodate the leg movement. Just a thought ^^.

---

I'm think I'm close to calling the high poly done. Need to polish up the back some more and put some final touches. Can't even imagine the nightmare baking this down is going to be!

xAxLw8w.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @Nevermind1567 Very nice there. You pretty much nail down her personality nicely :) She looks strong, mischievous and a bit arrogant :P Also, loving her gauntlets. Nice design there. I haven't made up my mind about that part yet. About her skirt and the flashing underwear, I bet it's like that in the concept art... You can tell the back of her skirt flare up a bit. Damn windy weather... About her scythe, I think the actual blade at the tip has to be horizontally longer. Or it wouldn't look the same as in the concept art, when placed at the same angle.

@Abidus I'm glad you want to work a bit more on the back of the mech. It looks kind of out of place from the front...
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    So I finished initial modeling.

It sits at 1,845 polys right now. But am I supposed to factor this with only triangles or polys in general?

5cngww.jpg

@Nevermind1567 Mad props dude, you deffinitely got the look down! Are you planning on recreating the image entirely?

@PyrZern Your model looks great too! The cloth on the chest kinda weird stretching to it, is that for the pose you have planned?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca We count the triangles. :)
    And kind of. I think of her twisting her upper body to her right a bit for final pose.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern oh boy...

hmmm, I'll definitely need to reduce the poly count then.I'm not used to modeling with many triangles :P

Time to experiment then I guess?

any tips?

EDIT: Yup, just tris is 3300 XD

EDIT: one more question, would my 2000 poly budget also include the weapon? I guess I should assume so.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, those are more like guidelines or examples. It's not carved into stone that 2k is the limit. You can also collapse some loops early or merge some verts where they don't affect the shape. No need to keep everything as quad if you gonna do very lowpoly stuff.
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    SO I started out on the google+ and forgot to post here so there will be a lot of images.
    WIP_001.jpg
    WIP_002.jpg
    WIP_003.jpg
    WIP_004.jpg
    WIP_005.jpg
  • devingeesr
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern

Ok thanks! i got it down to 2,011 polys so i'll just need to work on it a bit.

@devingeesr

Very cool, dude! :D

I think the head area needs to be somewhat rounded out more. It seems to bulge out at the edges compared to the concept. if you get what i'm talking about.

The stomach section seems like it needs to be more inward from the side view as well. Like it seems somewhat more agile from the front than from the side where it seems more bulky.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @devingeesr Pretty clean topology there man. Nice one. Is the mech a bit too fat from the side view ?

My gauntlets are a little bulkier, but I think it suits the bustier Tilda I make :)
    1307397.53e920ff1bd8e.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca
    Thanks man the top part dose need to be a bit more rounded. For the front piece it needs to be angled forward more. mine is more so standing straight up. Thats why it looks like that.

@PyrZern
    thanks took me a while to do lol. looking at it now it's a little to tall and should be squashed a bit.

My main issue I see is with the feet the angle of them. I'll fix it in zbrush
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nevermind1567 that looks damn close!4

@PyrZern I Like your take on it too, those are some big gauntlets lol!
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    5kn59x.jpg

Ok 1,995 with out much major changes. Now to work on the weapon then try uv mapping in 3ds max for the first time.

Unless anyone has issues with the form?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @iadagraca Good job man. I'd spend some more time on her hands though.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern

ah yeah forgot about her hands, i modeled them like i saw in Dissida, but the did get a bit distorted in the poly reduction. actually i'm not even sure they'll bend right now...

Will work on that.

There's also a good chance i'll need to add polys for the hair...

But honestly i'm not 100% sure what i can do with hair on a 512 map, so i'll worry about it later.

EDIT: i'm also concerned about the eyes, for now i just have a curved plane there cause i was just going to do a texture. but what are other options for this?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be more worried about making the piece look awesome than trying to match the numbers.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern

This is true but this is more of a learning experience than a portfolio one.

I'd like to see how well i can work with these limits you know? I know i can work with higher poly and higher res textures. But I've never done low poly/low res stuff.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding her eyes. This is what Haz did.

hatsune_miku__face_breakdown_by_hazardousarts-d56dxwe.jpg
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @devingeesr: feet look a little over sized, otherwise looking good so far!

@Pyrzern: I think the nose is still too sharp (looks pinched). Btw, how are you planning on approaching the hair? (planes?)

--

I'm gonna sharpen up the edges on the back tomorrow, but otherwise I'm done with the high poly. I'm gonna take a little break from this project to work on something else then I'll be back to retopo and texture.

duqd3is.jpg
    88vmOQZ.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern

Ah, that method is not too different from how i usually paint eyes. that should work perfectly.
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update
    mech_001.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonder how I will texture her... Polypaint or dDO...
    Her gauntlets are now hardsurface stuff. Cleaned up her skirt, and added more jawlines and cheeks to her face. Messed up her leggings, will remake em later.
    1310583.53eab8f9bda15.jpg
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    twoquiznos polycounter lvl 4
    @devingeesr hey great job its looking good!!! and just like u i was having a problem with the leg pose after staring at the concept art for hours i noticed that the feet r not made the same height on each side if u get what im saying

anyways everyone is showing some great stuff

@iadagraca looks great and i saw u said u were going to do low res one thing i recommend is making small stuff like the bell and maybe the wheels in to just single planes to save on ur count and the ears also oooo and also it counts the weapon usually which can also be made with single planes

and i dont know if this works for games so hopefully someone can help us but in maya u can soften the lines i dont know if max can do that its been years since i played with it
    for example look at my mech pics

well anyways i got frustrated with the legs of my mech and also realized i was getting sloppy so i remade the mech and started messing with the position more and also started softening edges
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @twoquiznos I see what you saying lol yeah I had to step away and get some feedback. Man that blocking mesh you have there looks legit!

So afther banging my head on the screen and looking at some other work I decided to break the leg apart at the ankle.
    mech_002.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Just passing by.

There's some great work in here guys. Sadly I won't be joining the adventure thin month so have fun with the mesh and chicks for me ok?
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @Nevermind1567: Looks great. Only thing I notice is that the outer blade of the scythe is about 1/2 head longer than the inner blade.

@Abidus: I think attaching the hip panel to the leg makes it easier to match the concept pose, so I'm going with that. I like your segmented panels on the back.

--

Nice work so far everyone, need to see more updates.

--

I've made a low poly and I'll be checking for deformations next. Right now I have inflexible armor over a flexible body.

The low poly is smoothed via autosmoothing on specific angles. There will be manual smoothing groups before uv/baking.

Low poly is ~13k triangles atm. This will be changing depending on deformation and baking needs.

Y1otKbs.png
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland Looking good man can't wait to see the finished product.
    Here are some updates as requested.

mech_003.jpg

mech_004.jpg

Coming from zbrush to maya was a pain I have to get better at modeling shapes in zbrush. This will also help me with the detailing process.
  • fleric
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys, nice job! decided to tag along. here is where i'm right now with Tilda

fb1f1707909626994080f1bda27af9f7.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    Under armor and some more details on the pilot.
    mech_005.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @fleric Her arms seem fairly short there. Like what you did with her hair a lot :)

@devingeesr That looks so badass. Kind of remind me of Front Mission 3. O o'

Sorry, small progress. Been busy.

Almost finished arm details. Just a bit more wrinkles around her fingers.
    a7ecbd520b69280e0254184e41339071.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern Thanks man that arm detail is nice will you be adding so micro detail to the gloves?

@fleric I agree with PyrZern about the arms there was something I could put my finger on but other than that it's looking good!

Here is an update I'm going to start working on the lowpoly there are a few things missing that I will add later on the High Poly.
    mech_006.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Watch HD, and full screen !
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaGo2dg2VPk"]WIP Tilda Turnaround - YouTube[/ame]
  • fleric
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    Thx for the feedback. Do you think that the arms are still small?

cd53005a00b2162e69060cac30222a45.jpg
  • thepapercut
    After all the events that happened this past week, I'm questioning if fate just trying to tell me I won't be going anywhere as a character artist. So here's where my model left off. The hand could use a revision as it just looks weird from a distance to me.
    WIP2_zps07759700.jpg
    Everyone looks like they are well off and will finish strong at the month's end, keep at it guys!
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    UV MAPPING COMPLETE! I eventually figured out how to make the process go by faster so i'm glad i got that done!

28gv3ma.jpg

jzfi4k.jpg

Also i'm pribably going to completely redo the weapon, in its current state it sits at 600 tri's which is WAY too high since i'm already passing the limit on the character.

If my job doesn't get in the way i'll do it otherwise i won't be able to complete this in time...

If anything i can say i'm definitely learning stuff. Next time will be much easier for sure.
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @devingeesr: I like the detail so far. Looking forward to seeing the low poly.

@PyrZern: Looking good, looking forward to the texturing.

@fleric: The arms do look a bit small, maybe it's just the tightness of the sleeve above the elbow? Looking good otherwise.

@thepapercut: I like the proportions so far. Everyone needs to start somewhere. Good luck.

@iadagraca: There is a lot of empty space in that uv layout. Looking nice for your limits.

--
    UV and bake done, moving into texturing. Sitting at ~14k triangles.

5nRSa9y.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut Man, I think you're just a little lost, that's all. I remember being in your position, feeling like I was stuck and no matter what I do, I wouldn't be able to climb out of the crap hole I was in. Then I started to learn ZBrush for real. And everything started to look better. Before, I had no clue how to go from a box to a full-blown character. But now I do. I know what to do to get there. I know what I need to do to get better. There are many steps to take, and after taking each step, you see the progress and the improvement. This goes from box -> character -> clothing/equipments -> textures -> game-ready model, all the way to the end. There are many more I do not know about. But I know I can learn them. The path is clear :P

@fleric Her hands seem small. I think a hand should be able to cover own's face. (not entire head, just the face). As for arm's length, usually, everyone should be able to put hands inside pants' pockets :) (or... you know.... arms long enough to masturbate !)

Gahhh !! I really need to finish up sculpting her leggings so I can start making lowpoly.
  • fleric
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    I did this to illustrate her arm arch, i think that maybe you guys are thinking that her elbow is not where it actually is...is that so?
    7de72588c52404c4a9c704e41e4bc33e.jpg
    ed82d3e1e1372b985e7ce1acc598d630.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @donengland yeah i think you're right, i was worried about making things too tight cause i was going to try 512 maps and i didn't want seam issues i've seen before.

@fleric I think the problem is leg length then, the arms seem small in proportion to the legs. So even if the arm length is in proportion with the body the legs throw it off. you can either lengthen the arms to match the legs better, or shorten the leg length.
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @fleric :Sorry if that wasn't clear. I don't think the arms are short I think that the radius of the sleeve above the elbow is too small. This makes the arm look slightly small in radius.

The length of the limbs look natural. Although, the concept does have slightly longer limbs than normal.

Basically you need to decide between more realistically proportioned or more concept proportioned.

--

My personal experience so far is that my eyes are developing faster than my ability to model. My model has a ton of errors relative to the concept that I didn't even know was off as I was modeling.

It feels a bit like I level up after every model. Each model represents my skill at the previous level. For this reason I tend to think of my models as snapshots of my progress.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland wrote: »

My personal experience so far is that my eyes are developing faster than my ability to model. My model has a ton of errors relative to the concept that I didn't even know was off as I was modeling.

Wait, wouldn't that mean your eyes develop SLOWER instead ?
    It's always a race between ability to perceive and ability to sculpt.
    That's why for a short period of time; you go from 'This is the coolest shit I ever made' to 'This is so crappy I can't sculpt!'
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @fleric lol I was just going to ask if we could see it with out the shirt and then you posted it. But it looks good I think the shirt just makes the are look shorter that what it is.
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the game poly.
    mech_007.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Small progress.
    Is shape of her thigh a bit off ? Especially from sideview.
    10551536_10152618431890115_4283439353850383943_o.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    2149jsl.jpg

here's my suggestion on the leg.I think the knee should be more inward and the calf shouldn't be so thick on the inside.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland

Does this look better? Moved the UV's around more.

EDIT: made a few more adjustments

jrg2vt.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    33uzg2b.jpg

Starting some initial texture panting to see how the UV's work, i'm not really satisfied but i think i can finish it like this.

Photoshop is doing ok for texture panting overall though.

I'm currently painting at 1024, but that might not be what i use for the final result.
  • DenO
    Offline / Send Message
    DenO polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern I kind of like iadagraca's suggestion to make the calf a little bit thinner.
    DonEngland damn, man! that looks great! There is nothing to criticize.

I'm almost done with the high poly model.

LGXDUTp.jpg