Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | August 2014 | Tilda / Mech

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
And here it is, folks !! The time has come.

Ideally, the goal is to finish a character within the month, all the way to low-poly game engine ready. But if you are busy, you can still do a bust or a sculpt.
HNJt339.png

Anyone and Everyone can participate.

PLEASE HELP SPREADING THE WORDS !
Join our Google Hangout [Link]
Come say hi and share screen with everyone else while you work !! Awesome way to learn new technique or workflows.
ab1b38fe09c09abb760579b5f5666d57.png

The goal of these challenges is to learn as much as possible, and to help others do the same. The rules were designed with this goal in mind, so here they are:
1. Try to leave at least one critique per post. It makes you a better artist if you have the ability to give constructive critiques. Just because you're working on a different concept piece, doesn't mean you can't give feedback to others.

2. Challenge yourself.

3. Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in real-time.

4. Try your best to finish on time.

5. Post your work-in-progress in this thread.

6. Specify your own triangle count and texture size. Be reasonable and stick to your budget. Some suggestions are as follows:
Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Maps
Mid Res: 16k Triangles, 1024 Maps
High Res: 32k Triangles, 2048 Maps

7. Similar to #6, you may pick an art-style yourself. You are, after all, an artist too. | Realistic, Stylized, Cartoony, etc |

8. Learn as much as you can. Share what you've learned.

For this month, we have two concept art chosen. Pick one you want to do.

Paul "Zeronis" Kwon
'Tilda' piece
Alexander "flyingdebris" Iglesias
'Mech Suit' piece
a7TyH8C.jpg

Good luck. Have fun.

Replies

• Fearoshiima
    I pulled that mech image the other day to do anyways. Guess its a sign to get to work. I'll post starting images this weekend or next week before i head to siggraph.

Cheers everyone.
  • Itholon
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Won't participate this month. I am gonna make some personal stuff, and I won't have much time. But I am curious how the concepts are gonna look in 3D so I am still gonna lurk here :shifty:
  • RenatoAruffo
    Hello there, I have lots of stuffs going on, but since I just entered in this forum I will definitely try it. :)
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    kinda missed the vote on this one. good luck to all the participants :)
  • tayuya64
    I'll join this one and finally finish it hopefully lol :P
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, hanging out now :")
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    I'll join this one!
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    One more week of summer school and then I'll start on that mech
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    bryandsilva polycounter lvl 2
    I'll join this one will post pictures of what I did in the morning Im doing Tilda
  • liquidbear
    I joined to take part in this challenge :D looks fun. Things are tight with work but I should have time on the weekends to do this. Gl Hf
  • DenO
    Offline / Send Message
    DenO polycounter lvl 9
    Finally I have time to participate! I'll start this weekend and Im doing Tilda. Good luck everyone!
  • damir_boz
    Started blocking out the weapon, have fun everyone :)

28b603k.png
  • tayuya64
    started to block in the face tried to go for anime mixed with disney-ish faces xD more to come later
    facewip.png
    facewip2.png
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some work from my morning I did some detailing and base coloring on her but Im not going to show it yet as I want to detail mostly everything before I show what I have :)
    Tilda%20WIP.png?psid=1
  • Kdawg
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    So I think I'm going to tackle the mech design. I was thinking of blocking out the shapes in zbrush to get an idea for the overall shape. Then I would model the separate panels in maya, eventually taking it back in to zbrush for the details. I this a valid pipeline or am I going about it the wrong way? Thanks! Noob question!
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    Kdawg wrote: »
    So I think I'm going to tackle the mech design. I was thinking of blocking out the shapes in zbrush to get an idea for the overall shape. Then I would model the separate panels in maya, eventually taking it back in to zbrush for the details. I this a valid pipeline or am I going about it the wrong way? Thanks! Noob question!

Pretty much how I'm doing it. Another tip is to polypaint your panel outlines on the blockout once you have roughed out your shapes, it will help get a feel for your proportions and dimensions as you can see right away if your panels match the concept and if not, where you need to fix them up :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my progress thus far. Gonna use more reference and get proportion right. Then match it to the concept. Usually I'd skip most of the anatomy stuff, but this time, I wanna do it properly.

Started from a sphere.
    10463648_10152577137410115_7302538636140830577_o.jpg
  • Artelios
    It's super duper rough, but I was just hoping to get blockout proportions roughly similar. It's been a long day at work, so tomorrow I'm hoping to get the rod cannon arm mostly done on my day off.
    Edit: This is 3DS Max. I've never used Zbrush but starting to think I should...
    WIP1.jpg
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update, with some color and some of the high detailing I've done
    Tilda%20wip2.png?psid=1
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    twoquiznos polycounter lvl 4
    hye guys new to the forum but long time fan of this site

i wanted to try my hand at this challange but i cant seem to find the place to attach my image

anyway working on the mech

im a maya kid so ill be aimming for that 16k model
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Duck polycounter lvl 3
    I'll be taking part in this one! It's my first time, I was going to try last months but found it too late :poly127: Will post properly once I've nailed the base head and body.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Artelios I think you got the proportion quite right there from what I can see. How will you create details in Max ?

@bryandsilva Hey mate, might want to adjust her proportion to match the concept. She's extremely stylized. She also has short body, and very round and short face.

Here's mine. I redid her face 3 times at least. Going to retop her head tomorrow to make things easier. Placeholders for hair, furs, eyebrows and eyelashes. Also, need bigger boobs !! And bigger, rounder head.
    10338463_10152579327100115_8123544810877133215_o.jpg
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    Some nice stuff appearing!

@PyrZern Nice start, looks a lot more realistic in proportions than the concept but if that's what you're going for then cool. Are you going to use solid geometry for the hair and fur or planes? I'm leaning towards solid for the clothing but planes for the hair.

@bryandsilva A lot of progress, but as Pyrzern said it's far from the concept's proportions. Check out how long her legs are compared to yours for example.

I started mine, a lot of distractions today but I'm getting there with the crazy face and body proportions. Still dynameshing it up trying to figure out the chest and thigh proportions. I feel like the head is mostly there, it looks weird now but I did a paintover to add eyelashes and hair and it looks a bit better.

p1.png

p2.png

I work really slow, so it'll probably be a few more days until I move onto the clothes and stuff.
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    Atelier wrote: »

@bryandsilva A lot of progress, but as Pyrzern said it's far from the concept's proportions. Check out how long her legs are compared to yours for example.
    PyrZern wrote: »

@bryandsilva Hey mate, might want to adjust her proportion to match the concept. She's extremely stylized. She also has short body, and very round and short face.

Ok thanks for the feedback guys I will work on it and post pics later on, also did some color correction based on the art :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta run for a friend reunion (should have waken up earlier, lol !)
    I will do hair planes for hair, for sure. I want to make kickass hair.
    I'm not sure about her fur yet, though...

Her upper body is pretty short. Her elbows seem to line up with her hips, not her waist. And her crotch seems somewhere a bit above her wrist.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Live face retopo in the hangout now :)
    With topogun 2.
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update, Ive made her legs a little longer, sculpted the details on her braces and added some ears, and once again changed her dress I wasn't liking how the other two came out, Im slowly detailing her once thats finished I'll UV her and bring her in marmoset toolbar 2

telda%20wip.png?psid=1
  • thepapercut
    Totally forgot this started as I was knee deep in some drawings lately lol. Everyone looks to be off to a great start. I'll be attempting tilda this month, hopefully I'll be able to block out the whole body tonight and start clothes tomorrow.

@pyrzern: Did you ever find out what was going on at the top of her head? Are those really cat ears?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut Sorry, no confirmation about ears. Use your artistic freedom for them :)
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    I see the ears as metallic pieces going by their sharp highlights, rather than cat ears. It's interesting to see how you've both adapted the concept to your own design :)

I pushed the body proportions as far as I really want to, tried making the chest smaller but it looked bad. Onto clothes, although I'm sure there will be some reason to change the body with fresh eyes tomorrow.

p3.png
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @Artelios: I haven't found zbrush to be useful for hardsurface. However, it might be nice to blockout organic shapes and then pull panels off of that surface. For me, sub-division modeling seems to give far more control and possibly greater speed.

@PyrZern: Great progress. I think you're right about the breasts and head. Or maybe its more of a relative difference with the size of the waist?

@bryandsilva: It seems like the proportions are a bit off, are you using a specific reference or going for a specific style? You might try moving the belt up about one belt width.

@Atelier: I agree on the metallic ears. Those body proportions are a good match to the concept so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

---
    My progress, blender only so far:

Tilda quick blockout. She reminds me of Kefka.
    jTExenv.png
    Probably do a head sculpt next.

Mech quick blockout and some sub-d progress. There are several seperate objects at the moment.
    R1yAGJ6.png
    Up next, making sub-d objects for each of the known missing pieces. I'm not really sure what to do with the back yet.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Atelier Love the progress there! Very close to the concept I must say. Can't wait to see you improve this further.

@DonEngland Nice blockouts, man. Your sub-d is coming along nicely.

Changed hair-placeholder. Retopo her head, and adjusted it further. I think I've got her eyes and forehead a bit too far back. And about her proportion, I made her a bit too muscular :P Will slim down her hips next.
    10494996_10152581383500115_3719184721395400434_o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna leave this right here.

a4a92bbe7348e6db1f10aae1594c0b46.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some time for tilda, initial face sculpt. Still blender
    Of2D8SF.png
    nYGZck8.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland So you're doing both concepts ? Tilda is pretty tricky, isn't she :P
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @PryZern yes both concepts I think. I need to build a portfolio. Tilda's proportions are interesting, the tricky part for me will be hair and fur.
  • liquidbear
    Hey guys! Here is my WIP for tilda I am aiming for a mobile poly count of 1000 faces and have hit my target with the mesh at 979. I only have the weekends to work on her so will unwrap and texture her next weekend hopefully.
    Some good stuff here so far I am guessing with teh zbrush and all the sculpting people are aiming for a higher poly count then mine ^_^.

I am Working in blender BTW

@DonEngland I am liking your mech so far. Cant wait to see how he ends up!
    @bryandsilva I think thickening her thighs slightly (very slight not chun-li style :D ) would round of the body shape better :D
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @DonEngland: So far, so good!

@Pyrzern: Based on her profile, it looks like her chin is too far away from the neck. Also, I don't know if this is just an artistic liberty you took, but the concept doesn't show her having an exposed patch of skin on her stomach. Keep at it!

Going for a high-res Mech for this one. Under 35k Triangles with 2048 maps.

Got started with the blockout. Produce a dynamesh of the general shapes in zBrush then retopo'd over that in 3ds max. The plan is to keep going back and forth between zBrush and max, and retopo as many times as needed till I get the pieces fitting just right. This is probably the most challenging model I've approached yet!

FuxmKNU.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @liquidbear Nice shape you have there. I agree with her thighs. Though I don't think her hips are thick.

@Abidus Hey, thanks man. I take some liberty with her costume, but exposing her belly isn't one of that. That one I got confused, lol !!

Hanging out now.
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres another update, I've made her uvs into 3 different pieces, body, clothing, and accessories her weapon will be another. Put her in marmoset with color, normal, gloss/spec and AO, will continue detailing her :)

Tilda%20wip3.png?psid=1
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    @bryandsilva I'd make a few improvements on the specular and gloss considering some of the materials on the character; the bicep band, choker and bells among other things would have a higher specular and sharper gloss. The ears also look like they're made of wax too, but it's hard to tell without a finished diffuse
    @DonEngland Good luck on doing both! I really like your body proportions on Tilda!
    @liquidbear Can't wait to see the texture for that!

A little bit more progress on mine, I got annoyed with it for a while because the skirt is made a too stylised compared to the rest of the model, and ruins her curvy silhouette. I'll do the rest of it and figure out the skirt again later.

p4.png

edit: Probably because I put the belt so high up..derp
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Her skirt took forever to make :P I adjusted her face and more of her proportions. That things on her biceps gonna crush into her rib cage <_<"

Dinner break, watch some movie, then I will work more on this :)

10535692_10152583048905115_1506317272865908247_o.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @liquidbear: I like the proportions. I'm looking forward to the texture work.

@Abidus: Nice start on the model. This one is complex. Good luck with the rest

@Atelier: I think the concept arms are a bit longer than what you have so far. I like how you placed the belt relative to the upper body.

@PyrZern: Her hips seem a bit wide at the moment. Maybe the neck is slightly long? If I was rigging this I would probably add a bone for the sleeve and constrain it to upper arm rotation.

I haven't tried to sculpt her body yet, so I might be way off on feedback.

---
    I made some sub-d progress on the mech.

BKViK4u.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland I been trimming down her hips. Guess it's not enough yet. I will work more into it :) And I think you're right about her neck !! Thanks.

Great progress on your mech suit there. Are you going to throw this inside ZB later for finer details ?

@Atelier You might want to relax her fingers now. Before you start on her gloves or gauntlets.

Testing new hair approach. First time doing it like this. But how would it work out in lowpoly ? Like, do I bake its normal ? Or do I just delete half its faces and make texture for it and done ?
    10473386_10152583520615115_2045955866159785358_o.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, don't think I'm taking part in this month :( doing a personal character, going for that slug terra that was a concept for this month :D ill make a thread soon and show my progress and if I start getting along well I might jump in and do 'Tilda'.

@DonEngland It's looking good, one thing is the 'thighs' seem quite long, whereas on the concept theyre quite stumpy looking. Also the part with he skull on is alot rounder on the concept, it blends more and has more curvature espcially between the top and bottom panels.

@PyrZern Nice work mate, not much to crit tbh, she's coming along well. I think you might want to keep working on the face. The concept has a cuter look which yours doesn't quite have yet. I think her nose is too defined, the concept seems to barely have a bridge. I think her hips suddenly jump out a little to much too, yours kind go outwards then downwards but the concepts are more gradually going outwards and downward if you get me.

Nice work though guys :D
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern The few times I've done it, I made a handful of premade hair planes, completely textured, and then went about copying them and applying them to the head. Hair for me usually never leaves Zbrush, the normal detail is made more precisely in nDo or even the nvidia Photoshop plugin.
    PyrZern wrote: »
    @Atelier You might want to relax her fingers now. Before you start on her gloves or gauntlets.

Good idea, but what would be the best way to go about that? Transpose looks really complicated although maybe I just haven't found the right tutorial :poly127:
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland wow dude mech is coming along nicely especially with the material you put for it!!

...its cool to see everyones take on either Tilda and the Mech, theres many different interpretations of our workflow and learning capabilities that we all have which makes the characters stand out :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Atelier Transpose is the easiest imo :P Just mask and rotate em around, joint by joint.

@JordanLeigh Thanks man. I'mma working on it now.

On Hangout atm, working on her face and hair :)
  • Nevermind1567
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind1567 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey. Just spent a couple of hours trying to define basic shapes.
    Not sure if i can finish this - too tired after work most of the time.
    Just one thing concerning all the Tildas in this thread so far (which includes mine as well). First several hours of modeling are the most important: they set the style of whole character. If u fail to get likeness from the very beginning - it only gets worse later. Try to specify proportions of ur character, it's posture. Spineless t-pose won't do any good. Pardon my English. Good luck. )
    ibz8MbTSRdL8ql.jpg
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    twoquiznos polycounter lvl 4
    hye guys new to the forum

thought i would try my skills out on the mech

aiming for that 16k tri

working in maya