Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maya's default viewport shading to Blender

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
FourtyNights polycounter
Does anyone know what kind of default lighting setup Maya has for shading objects in the viewport?

I've got a bit tired of Blender's somewhat odd default settings on its solid OpenGL lights to shade objects. Maya's one looks a lot better to me.

I already have a Maya's gradient colors ;)

Irxf2S7.jpg

These are Blender's default OpenGL lights:

uVgI7zs.jpg

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Shit, was meant to the "Technical Talk". Can be moved right away. Sorry. Damn.
  • Surfa
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    What does maya's default lighting look like? If you can't change the settings above to get the lighting you want you could always have blender set-up in GLSL mode and add the lights yourself. Also creating a default material could help somewhat.
  • authentic
    What viewport are you using? Generally speaking Viewport 2.0 is best for this type of stuff.

Most people avoid using the default lights. Just create a light and the default light is effectively disabled. You can also create a lighting setup to your exact wants/needs and save it as a default scene file. Then when you create a scene just include it. =) Not sure if that helps you buy editing or getting attributes of the default light in Maya/MayaLT is difficult at best as it has no manipulators or editable features unless you want to delve into mel scipt.
  • authentic
    VP2.0 using DX11 is pretty amazing for viewport modeling and viewing. You can also use the new Shader FX, DX11, or CGFX shaderss depending on what you are doing to get a virtually perfect redition of your model as it will be in your game engine. It takes some time to learn but the results are worth the effort imho. In general I use the DX11 shader for general game work and find it to be the best viewport in any Modeling software. I basically switched to MayaLT because of this and the new UV tools. So much goodness.

Check this out : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPl_ztbrkU"]Maya LT - ShaderFX - YouTube[/ame]
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Surfa wrote: »
    What does maya's default lighting look like? If you can't change the settings above to get the lighting you want you could always have blender set-up in GLSL mode and add the lights yourself. Also creating a default material could help somewhat.

Everything is changeable in those settings, it's just that eyeballing the Maya's default lighting while adjusting isn't so accurate.

To me it looks like Maya has only one solid light, no specular highlights and a semi dark grey diffuse color. But I'm not sure about the orientation. Normally I model with that Blender's default lighting setup, but sometimes it's a bit hard so see all of the silhouette of a complex model.

Yes, and I use GLSL occasionally for seeing things a bit better, but it's somewhat tedious to move the light while rotating viewport around the model. That's why solid lighting is useful, and Maya's looks good to me, what I've seen all around Polycount from other Maya users' works.

But if Maya's lighting setup is only accessible via mel scripts... well, even Max's default shading is pretty good as well.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    In the Solid OpenGL lights settings, click on the lightbulb next to the bottom 2 of the 3 lights. Then, click and drag on the ball on the top light until it's close to the center (Maya's light is actually a little bit above the center, so center the light and then drag it up a little.) Change Specular to black and change Diffuse to a gray with a value of about .836. (That's RGB .666.) Should look exactly like Maya.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Thanks, JedTheKrampus. That was the answer I was looking for. (: