Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD – [Turbo889]

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Turbo889 polycounter lvl 6
Alright, I am super excited about this challenge and can't wait to get started.

This will be my first challenge here at Polycount and I can't be more thrilled to jump into this awesome community. I'm going to try and be as active as I can giving feedback and can't wait to hear from all of you.

Anyway, right now im still collecting and reference and inspiration. The core of my idea is a female pilot driving a desert vehicle of some kind on some distant planet.

The setting will be pretty dirty and worn, but not quite post apocalyptic or war-zone level wear and tear.

Her vehicle will be a 4 wheeled buggy with huge wheels on "legs/axels" which have alot of mobility to rise over rocks and rough terrain.

She will be the mechanic and pilot of her vehicle and right now I'm planning on a bottom heavy silhouette. With baggy pants and lower body equipment with her upper body being more form fitting.

My images below kind of illustrate where I'm going.

The next step for me is creating some prototypes of the buggy and a 3d base sculpt of the characters silhouette. I'm going to focus on those things this weekend before jumping head on into zbrush for the real deal.

buggyCollage_zpse8edebdb.jpg
drivercollage_zps217efdbd.jpg

Replies

• Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so, between moving and other life events I've been a little busier than I'd like to be so I haven't been posting my progress as much as I wanted to. I also haven't been moving as briskly on this as I wanted to, but I'm pretty sure I'm still on track to finish,

I've been having fun in Zbrush making my buggy, I like where the wheels are right now, but the body still needs alot of work before I can go deeper into details.

anyway, feedback is always welcome and I hope to be updating multiple times a week from now on:
    Screenshot-2014-07-10-0923_zpseb4b142b.jpg
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I'd bring the wheels down in size. Looks like an rc car currently.
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    I do think the wheels do look a bit silly, but I kinda liked the idea of the vehicle being capable of driving while upside down. so obviously the wheels would need to be super big to do that. if it continues to look really silly I scrap that idea and just make the wheels a more normal size.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Ah. That's a cool idea though. I'd try extending the wheelbase so they don't come so close to eachother then.
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll give that a shot, thanks!
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    Expanded the wheel base, and I think it looks better.

filled in the pieces and added a few more details. moving alot slower than I'd like, but as I near the end its getting easier to finish things off

all comments are welcome, thanks in advance.

Screenshot2014-07-15093307_zps7b2fb1b5.png
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update, I like where I'm at with the big pieces and the overall shape. everything is solid and fits together and I've moved a few things around to hopefully look better.

this weekend my main focus is going to be on adding details to all the pieces and hopefully being mostly done with the vehicle high poly.

Screenshot2014-07-18112200_zpsef06bc24.jpg
  • SeedyRom
    Looking sweet! I really the shape of the car, cool curves. I think you could push them even further though. Really get the tail end of the car up and I think it would look cool if you sized down the front tires a bit. These changes would make your car a bit less symmetrical and give it some more character.

Also I can't wait to see your character, especially if she's got a nice robo-arm :D
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks seedy! I really liked the idea of asymmetrical wheels so I made the rear wheels a lot thicker and I think it looks a ton better.

spent the last few days adding details and materials for baking the material map. so none of the colors are final, but I do kinda like the red being used as the main color.

I'm gonna step away from this for now and get to work on the character, time permitting I hope to return to this with some fresh eyes and maybe make some last minute changes before retopoing.

Screenshot2014-07-21165726_zps8f81c5d7.png
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    Been super busy, but I managed to start on my driver. Im starting to feel the pressure with less than a month to go, but if I finish my driver sculpt by next weekend I think I'll be ok.

Screenshot2014-07-30104550_zps21eb5360.png

Screenshot2014-07-30104613_zpsf585700f.png
  • UncleFantazmo
    Massive calf muscles! Really like this design.
  • EarthQuake
    There is something really off with the proportions on your character, unfortunately not stylized off, but off to the point that it looks weird. I would take a step back and study some anatomy refs before getting too far here or it may be difficult to fix.

Length of the legs, size of the calves, size of the head, etc.
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Uncle Fantazmo!

Earthquake, also thanks for letting me know, I will say the legs are supposed to be in really baggy pants, but I can see now that it appears as if she just has massive calves. I'll rework all of the areas suggested and hopefully get it right before moving too much farther forward.
  • Turbo889
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so I think I addressed most of the proportion issues and she looks alot better, thanks for the feedback on that!

I also went ahead and added more detail to her suit and I think barring the hair I don't have too much more to do with her in Zbrush.

Screenshot-2014-08-06-0923_zps57912c17.jpg