Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | July 2014 | Multiple Pieces

Replies

• independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    Update show 2 Turntable on youtube one only the Body-mesh and one with the polypaint and some fluffy placeholders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGsxd_0JqhY&feature=youtu.be

I did search for cats skulls, and some dog skulls, and posed him in a Double Spline-Spline direction
    K1KOrBT.jpg

Tom Mackie Thanks that was a really good timeing for the Spline tip. You gooding a stylistic Berry approach. Is a Stencil, a clone brush? I should do for the project use use the Z-Sphere.

JimmyRustler The Pose is relaxed, good. Think what the character need on this missions, maybe he need some carry something, its in the desert right?
  • fleric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    just some tweaks ^^

c3aad1dba55133a20528a03c2a939acc.PNG
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @Itholon: I've made updates for my base mesh. The PS idea makes sense, usually I just keep the concept reference up and maybe some reference for specific parts.

@GreenBeams: There is a great thread in the technical talk subforum that goes into detail on normal maps Who put waviness in my normal map.

@Tom Mackie: Nice mech progress. Are you also going low poly on BerryTwig? Thanks for the feedback on my mech. I can't unsee the slippers now.

@JimmyRustler: Are you going to keep the human hands? I like the depth on the shoulder harness.

--
    I finalized my base mesh, moving on to sub-d:
    7J7xicP.png
  • GreenBeams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreenBeams polycounter lvl 5
    DonEngland wrote: »

@GreenBeams: There is a great thread in the technical talk subforum that goes into detail on normal maps Who put waviness in my normal map.

Thanks so much for that, too! It's good to know that it's a thing and not just some special, personal bugger'up! =)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    @fleric
    Looks nice, not sure how far through you are with rendering/texturing but I think the eyes should be glossier to really catch that light, looks good otherwise though

@Tom Mackie
    Love the low poly style for the mech, I feel like the textures could use some more love though, and good start on the Berry Twig, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Here's my start on the mech. First time doing this comp and I'm enjoying it so far. Here's the high poly, just got to do the arms, pipes etc then I'm going to take it into zbrush to add some damage and wear like the concept

K9U7g4w.jpg
  • Jalfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP2! I havent had much time on this project these few days :/

I'm done with most of the features, but I just noticed my cat doesn't have any...whiskers ahaha. Mostly finished with unwrapping, now to arranging them agh.

WIP2.png

For now the twig is well, just a stick.

WIP2.5.png?m=

Any feedback? :o

thepapercut: I'm hoping for it to be around 5k tris, now my mesh is sitting around 4800 there. I don't have a budget yet for the twig though.

EDITED (images links)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @Jalfish Images don't show up.

Added: Yup, they work fine now. Looks nice there !
  • Jalfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    @Jalfish Images don't show up.

I've fixed it (I think)
  • fleric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    @fleric
    Looks nice, not sure how far through you are with rendering/texturing but I think the eyes should be glossier to really catch that light, looks good otherwise though

Thx for the comment :). I'm working on the hair right now i will take care of the rest as soon as i finish. i to am not happy with my eye reflections i'm working on 3dsmax and used an image on the reflection map of a standard material and tried to bump the spec lvl but i was having a hard time to make it look just like the ref reflection, and since i work on a full time job and we where having the world soccer cup here in Rio i'm not having much time to model on the week days and on the days that we had games
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like I shouldn't have even bothered with the high poly for the mech. None of this dents and scratches made it really worth while to sculpt in zbrush when an shadow map can convert over to them easily.

Are the softer edges going to be that noticeable vs if I generate the normals for them?
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Havent posted much progress here, so here I come with WIP of diffuse for body piece. Everyone's work here is amazing, and there is too much to comment on.
    Feedback is welcome, because I kinda suck at texturing.
    It is still a WIP!
    qwYAN6x.jpg

BTW: I have a problem with PS and 3ds Max. Suddenly I cant save the .psd file, while the 3ds Max uses it as a bitmap. And while I try to load new .psd file it says unsupported psd file a few times then it appers on the model normaly, but cant save the .psd file again. Kinda slows the whole process for me :poly127:. Anybody knows how to deal with it? Google didn't help
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can save your file in photoshop as a copy (it will merge down the layers), this should be a good solution.

TmuI23b.jpg
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind for the next time. Rebooting the PC actually helped me this tiem, so it might have to do something with the cache, or anything like that.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose wrote: »
    I feel like I shouldn't have even bothered with the high poly for the mech. None of this dents and scratches made it really worth while to sculpt in zbrush when an shadow map can convert over to them easily.

Are the softer edges going to be that noticeable vs if I generate the normals for them?

It depends on you. I say to me a long time, don't try, just do it.

Edit:

to make it clear, a shadow map is just bake down a light on a object. but if you have no high poly mesh made in maya or zbrush where you wanna get the light information that is transferred from the baking process (3ds max, maya, xnormals, zbrush), you would have to hand paint but that is a total different style and old school.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With this rough overpaint in orange I want showcase the lines to the vanishpoint. like in the picture on the left
    J0gZRRh.jpg

My Aim i to find the with topology paint and arrogant it with my sculpture to force me to see the difference. but how can the conzept be so diverse with directions is it like this.

it must be very close to the viewer?
    is this perspective still 3 point 4 Point Perspective?

But My thought probably not correct, because a tilted head would have an other vanishpoint.

Second question is about the virtual Cameras.

Are Fisheye views possible to render with Maya?
    And what is the Camera lens in Zbrush?

This is the Topology overpaint
    LkZglH9.jpg
    This is my in Maya viewport try to get the Camera like in the Conzept marked in red
    H2w7Pp2.jpg
    This is my in Maya viewport try to get the Camera like in the Conzept to see the difference of the Silhouette what I did mark with Green, also tried to point out some Endpointreference and name my conzept 2 and my mesh 1
    XzVCePO.jpg

quelle:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/137570963589705519/
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanLeigh: Nice start

@Jalfish: It looks like the top of the eye is far too exposed. If you pinch the outer portion of the eye to be more inline with the concept it will really help the form of the head. I like the body volumes!

@independ-hans: The Zbrush camera lens default is 50mm. You can change this under the "draw" tab.

--
    I finished the sub-d, moving on to low and baking. Further details will be painted in.

BWdIJhr.png
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    Nice progress across the last couple of pages everyone. :)

independ-hans: Most concept artists don't draw out vanishing points or grids when making character concepts. Often times, it's just forced perspective. Which looks passable to most and gets the point across, while not necessarily holding up to the scrutiny of actual perspective grids.

From looking at it, it seems like it's a forced two point perspective. I don't think there is drastic enough change in dimensions from the critter's feet to it's head to seem like 3-point was intended.

Yes, it's possible to get something akin to a fish eye view within Maya. You would achieve this by modifying the camera's FOV setting. Increasing the number present in this field increases the angular size of the camera's view cone. Drawing more of the scene into view of a single shot.

Hope that helps!

Here is my finished geo and unwrap (I included the selection set as well, for clarity sake). I have to focus on a side project that is due on the 20th, but as soon as that is submitted, I'll be full bore on the texturing of this little rust bucket.

Ewing_WIP_02.jpg
  • Jalfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern: Thats good, I learnt something new LOL
    DonEngland:
    Thanks! I go try tweaking the face somemore :)
    independ-hans:
    If you have Maya, Mentalray has a camera lens as Dvolution pointed out. Just make sure you have Mentalray on in your plugins (y)
    Dvolution:
    Those sillouttes are niceeee! Although the UVs looked like a headache to arrange haha
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland Thanks, i couldnt find where the lens are in Zbrush. YOur Subdiv model looking good.
    Make Sure to recheck the feets and elbows parts, I can't read shape to good now. maybe just a mini minor issue. all other looks very clean.

Dvolution Nice have some answers for me. thanks.
    Looks like much detail for only 6k poly, like these stick together objects and use off triangle.

Jalfish Mental for the Fisheyes lens in Maya, ok thanks. On your Polymesh I would say you done a good start, the Staff is a little short. I can't critics some more serious. :poly121: maybe you should change the pose to more relaxed so you can use the what you know about relaxed cats and humans.

Also i found some References I want to Share. Its spezial cat drawing Tutorial what will be helpful fpr proprtions and anatomy on that little fluffy animals-
    http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-draw-animals-cats-and-their-anatomy--vector-17417

I Focused to get the Head right, hopefully nailed it now.
    Next I will model sculpt the Hands and Feet I should able to improve these alot.
    An Area what is a little Complicated, is the Suit and Fur on the Breast, But I think I have drawing Girls these days that use foulards on neck like the way the fur is in my design, I will look for that to see a proper solution.

Give me critics
    tumblr_n8trnq0ole1surhcmo1_1280.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress guys !!

@Dvolution Tetris level Pro ?

@JordanLeigh Can't wait till you texture it up. It looks pretty lively there already. Somehow it looks like he's grinning !

@independ-hans Keep going man! You sure are hard working. Give her(or him ?) a bit more relaxing pose. Like, leaning the neck+head a bit more forward. Bend elbows in all XYZ axis. Also the fingers... or paws.

Texture too dark and too dim and too dull again !!!
    10560292_10152546497780115_8666405054655388936_o.jpg
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Man turned out great, you should leave the colors , they make it look like a real figure/model/toy that sort of hand done look
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's looking sweet pyrzern. I think you should brighten up the textures though, it makes it to dull and hard to make out. You want to be showing it off! Good job!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I want the texture to really pop :) I want the coat to look kind of dirty and muddy. But not that grainy/muddy, dangit. It must be sharp and dirty.

I'm gonna be unavailable for the next few days though. :(
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, another Day, another WIP. I am making Diffuse for the body part, but I am starting to run out of ideas what should I do to make the texture look better. So if anybody has any ideas, or critique, I would be more than glad to read it.

FNGKwbx.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hand-painted style ? Are you going PBR or just using Diffuse ?
    But you can have more highight and contrast in there. (same with my piece, LOL!)
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is more Hand painted style than realistic, so it is rather stylized, btw: I am painting it because I want to learn basic texturing before hoping to Quixel or substance. PBR wont probably work in my case, so no. And I am gonna make a specular and normal map after I finish the diffuse. Yeah, I should make it more contrast because it feels a little flat now, but that will probably be a finishing touch.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome progress everybody!

@JordanLeigh : Smooth and sweet!

@Independen-hans : Your anatomy is clearly much better now. Head is okay, but his/her eyes are weird. You should use a perfect sphere instead, and look at other people entries as reference. Keep it up.

@Pyrzern : Yeah, you should brighten them up to match with the concept. Looking great already.

@Itholon : Play with the contrast. Right now your textures seems a bit bland. Darkening the iron, brighten up that orange plate and the edges should help. EDIT : ninja'd.

Not working on my dude so much lately, been playing The Wolf Among Us (it was awesome!!).
    Last night i made highpoly of the sword. It made me realize that i should practice on hard surface a little bit more
    E4KuL6l.jpg

And just an hour ago speed sculpting my dude face. I want my 'dude 8' to be an old man wearing exoskeleton suit beneath his jacket, with an extra arm on the side.
    6NylfaG.jpg

And quick texturing to see how he look
    ux2gc4u.jpg
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler Check the Proportions in the Face unless you gonna do a stylistic Figure. Sure the nose and Ears can be longer on older persons but I think the Eyes Should be in the in half height of the Head.
    @Itholon Make sure you know your Size on your character so you can make the size of Details the right size, for example Nails are never Bigger as a certain Size.
    If you use sizes right it more believable, especially on Human Crafted objects

New Pose, and some action in Maya I wanted to get the new Body Shape on the, Cloth without to much hand work, maybe It would be just faster to Sculpt in. But it worked in the end with CLoth simulation + Vertex location transverse on and from a Dummy Object.
    uTMyMAJ.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress so far everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

@PyrZern: Nice smooth silhouette, are you using Quixel for texturing?

@Itholon: You might try some color variation in the metal.

@JimmyRustler: I like the face, are you using a specific reference?

--

I finished Low, UV, and some texture work. I may add some more geo to the cannon.
    qyJv9Kd.png
    7672 triangles
    Four 1k Maps (Diffuse, Rough, Metal, Normal)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, getting used to Quixel for Petrol/Blood.... If I had time to do/finish it !!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Wow, been really busy celebrate my birthday and stuff (Yey! I´m 25). but managed to squeeze in a lowpoly between the parties. the lowpoly was a pain in the ass but finally done, time for unwrap, and realizing I have to change everything because baking errors =P

wanted to give personal feedback to everyone but there are honestly so many of you that I dont have time, this month really kicked the shit out of previous challenges. Everyone is doing so much good work, loving how all you guys Mechs are turning out! :)

sitting at 20K tris.
    Here there be pixels:
    Lowpoly.png
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    tom mackie : wow i love dem painting skills man

dvolution : :poly115: oh my .. that UV map

pyrzern : wow nice progress man .. yeah u already know about the texture .. but i like how u nailed the helmet glass .. and yeah Quixel isnt working for me either . i just found out that the beta is free ... downloaded but keeps giving me the same error a lot of others are complaining about ( functionality may not be availabe in this photoshop version ) :poly134:
    did some reading and going to try to solve it

donengland : woaaah ... i love what u did with the textures .. why'd u chose to go with 1k textures ? made it look low res overall .. also id give that checkered side thing more pixels since it draws attention .. to late for me to say that i guess :D

update:
    the low poly isnt done yet . but posting now to get crits .. so please point out any problem u see ... i believe iv got the silhouette right .. but im not sure about deformation

dude_wire.png

also i just found out about noise maker ( not really but i never cared about trying it before )
    holy crap man ... i love it .. no more cloth texture in photoshop i guess ...

i found out that i needed to plan ahead and do UVs before sculpting which i didnt . to get the noise maker to tile the texture as i want ... so i had to mask --> unwrap based on mask
    which got me these bad seams ( jagged line down the middle )

seams.png
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not a 3d noob (Been in the industry about 2 years now) but I am a character noob, so I thought I'd take part. This is my WIP of good ol' Berry Twig here. Obviously going for the mobile, low poly handpainted option :)

f5xZSCq.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonENgland Looking nice, your metal is looking pretty smooth and shiny compared to the concept, I think it would look better a little brighter and roughed up more :)

@AA3D You're low poly is loking good, have you done the high poly yet? I just might not have seen it

Here's my update, the high poly is done, want to take it into zbrush and add some surface details.
    Does anyone know how to import a mesh into zbrush but keeping the smoothing groups? When I import it removes them, even if I set it in the OBJ exporting options :/

RUSLv33.jpg
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @independens hans
    Sure, thanks. It was a quick one-hour speed sculpt, so there would be a lot tweaking later.

@Donengland
    Im using Ian Mckellen as a ref.
    Yours looking solid, a bit to shiny on the metal though. Need a bit more polished and defined texture work, i'm sure that would look kick ass.

@lotet
    Congrats on getting older! Lowpoly looks great.

@AA3D
    low poly looks fine IMO, carry on.

@Lady Knowles
    Didn't seem like a noob work at all. Great job.

Here's a bit more work on the face. Pretty happy with the basic form, might want to detail this later tonight, and after that, more hardsurfacing on the helmet.
    4bHoSN4.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet Gratz 25yrs old :) Solid mesh there.

@AA3D Nice lowpoly man! Keep going :) Noise Maker is definitely cool. Though sometimes it means I really have to crank up the subdiv level into muliple millions to get the fine details I want. Sometimes easier to just make it afterward in nDO.

@ladyknowles Only diffuse texture map? She looks great. Don't think you're a noob at all :P

@JimmyRustler See through helmet glass ? This gonna be so awesome !
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    jordanleigh : thx .. well its a couple of pages back i guess ... i just didnt want to clutter the thread with more of my high poly .... here is a link of the latest high poly http://postimg.org/gallery/7m9gwl8m/4dee0949/

jimmyrustler : thx ... looking good ... he has an evil kinda look haha .

pyrzern : its just nice having options . but i hear ya .. my zbrush file started slowing down when all subdevs are in highest level .. solo mode FTW .
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I've increased the texture size to 2k and worked on the material read a bit.
    T36LjNy.png

---

@lotet: Happy B-day.

@ladyknowles: I like the handpainted look. Are the eyes detached from the rest of the mesh?

@JordanLeigh: Nice progress. I'm looking forward to seeing some textures.

@JimmyRustler: I see the resemblance.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pyrzern : Not exactly see-through, though. Thanks
    @AA3D : Yeah, i love badass evil character.
    @Donengland : Awesome, clearly much better now.

Anyway, here's my new design on the helmet. Need a little bit more detail here and there before it's done.
    oGwNwva.jpg
    Yeah, i'm not really good at designing things.

EDIT : Change the helmet design again. And this is the overall look so far.
    mhHwNEA.jpg
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JimmyRustler: Looking good. like the Head, Maybe try a different version on the front on helmet.
    @DonEngland: The head hat should more dirty for my feels.
    @ladyknowles like it alot. keep going.
    @AA3D & PyrZern no words. looks great.

---

I did close the Cloth its now solid and coulds be 3dprinted.

copying some parts use them as little jet wings. working on the suit + making belt.
    The cloth thing is a little hard to do. And I want to do it in Zbrush, have to tweak the shape.
    I have the Feeling the cloth looks like Thick Leather with and it should feels like finer cloth.
    3rQZ5IE.jpg
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Is it better to pack an entire character to one texture map, Or work with one, two, or even three of lower sizes? Just for ease of use and organization? Is there a reason to use 1 large tex over smaller ones? Since I mean, It ends up being the same size and detail in the end? Less excess I'd think using smaller maps
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JimmyRustler How does he get the helmet on? It's tight to his neck so he wouldn't be able to remove it or even get it on tbh
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    Mr.Moose wrote: »
    Is it better to pack an entire character to one texture map, Or work with one, two, or even three of lower sizes? Just for ease of use and organization? Is there a reason to use 1 large tex over smaller ones? Since I mean, It ends up being the same size and detail in the end? Less excess I'd think using smaller maps

im not sure ... but i think iv read that . 1k texture vs 512*2 textures for example .
    1k being more heavy on the memory side and less on the processing side
    i could be very wrong ...

also it seems artists prefer to go with multiple maps for the next gen .. specially for the PBR
    im personally gonna try making 2 maps for this character im working on . 1 for fabrics and the other for metals
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JimmyRustler How does he get the helmet on? It's tight to his neck so he wouldn't be able to remove it or even get it on tbh

There's some kind of mechanism that would allow the helmet to be detachable. But the idea is still in my head, and haven't implemented it yet.
    Also going to resize the helmet, and add something soft inside it, because hell, that kind of helmet doesn't look comfortable, haha.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @Mr. Moose: A lot of games use multiple textures for a single character. I'm not sure of the performance considerations, but usually people separate maps when they want one area to have more detail than another. Since most audiences focus on the head of a character, it often has a separate map from the body so that it can have more detail.

Edit: Also for the face, older games would often animate the texture by switching it to a different one. (Open eyes painted in, closed eyes painted in, open mouth, etc.) Having a smaller texture size is presumably better for performance in these situations.
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmy Rustler: Thanks for the advice. Finnaly I have some time to get back to texturing. I am gonna try it now.
    Don England: There is color variation on the metal, it is just too low opacity I guess. Btw, your texture looks awesome, did you handpainted, Quixel or Substance?
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JimmyRustler nice look, the Holding system is awesome. I just wanna mention some simple: motorcycle helmets are for protecting the head, is it a fighting protecting or maybe for expansions on very hot or very cool areas. if you think if need to have an owe air system maybe look in space invention suits.
    @JordanLeighYOur Mesh looks clean, I have to think on team fortress.
    Did you found an answer for Export smoothing groups. I also wonder What program you mean. I try to answer more broadway to industry standard applications.
    first way: Ass I know where some plugins for max & maya for exporter obj, where you can choose the targeted application. give it a try.
    second way: Maybe the fix to go is split the Mesh in that area that need to be hard, if it some bug on 3ds max / maya.
    Om maya I should reset the setup.

Working on the Cloth, blue part will be Fluffy Fur with Alpha Planes.
    I have splitted the the Suit in more Parts, Shoulder Bags, and dog-collar I can easier working on Details. Also refine the Fluffy part between the Neck and collar.

-Note to myself, need to do the mighty stick and some more Details on Suit & Hat.
    Give me please some advice or Critic
    tumblr_n9167jCpFs1surhcmo1_1280.jpg
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @independens-hans
    Air conditioning system? That's actually kinda cool idea. I'll add it later after i'm done sculpting the clothes (really bored of hard surface modelling...).
    Yours looks damn good actually. Definitely improving in quality. Can't wait to see the detail.

Anyway, sorry for spamming with little update here. I'm pretty much done with overall design now. Just needed to sculpt the clothes, and then ready to bake.
    ZBSr9hw.png

And here's the helmet mechanism for those wondering
    3XIgUx6.jpg
    The upper jaw part can be detachable, and then there's a hinge on the back of the neck part, so that the neck part can be splitted.
    I won't model the detail like the lock system because it will not really noticeable.

And now onto sculpting things!!