Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

abandoned office (Unreal 4)

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Atokal polygon
Howdy, I am working on an abandoned office and I would like to show everybody what I am working on and I was hoping for any critique or feedback that you may have.

( edit: )
just posting the latest work right here.
DOPXCHi.jpg
KjOPP1u.jpg
iEJYEf9.jpg

Concept:
HxZRC4d.jpg

Blockout with 1st pass at lighting
BRkSNtb.png
1st pass at texturing
1GcuD7n.jpg
can't wait to push this environment to the next level.
the hype is real

Replies

• SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Looking cool so far!
    How close are you planning on sticking to the concept?

The light direction in the concept pools light dead centre of the image, creating really bright contrasting tones to the top and bottom of the picture.
    Your light is a little off in terms of angle and this is pulling a lot more focus to the bottom right. Perhaps kicking up the light intensity of the scene will benefit the mood more too.

To be honest, I'm just looking for things to critique - keep up the good work!
    I can't wait to see where you take this :)
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    Did you make this concept? to be honest its a pretty weak concept. It isn't very informative in terms of architecture or design. It just looks like a bunch of different textures placed around. You really need to embellish the textures in the scene in order for this to work.

This is a pretty good example of what to strive for.
    http://www.torfrick.com/info/Baroque.html
  • SP3
    Offline / Send Message
    SP3 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Atokal,

i think you did a good job with the block out.
    Somethings i would think about maybe redoing is the texture of wooden floor, the wood grain you have is very noisy also some of your textures are low res looking (maybe its because its 1st pass)
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Thanks for your feedback, I will post an update soon.
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy everybody, sorry for taking so long to get back, i'll be updating this thread more often now, but I would like to share what I have been working on. Thank you for your feedback before.

ObCqI3U.jpg
    here are a few select props that I wanted to get some more feedback on in particular
    xAnDg3X.jpg
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I will be updating you guys everyday with what I am working on. I need to get into a better habit for posting my work.
  • DireWolf
    Good choice removing the barrels. Can't imagine why would they be in an office.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Offline / Send Message
    ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
    So just at a glance I feel like the floor looked better in the first pass than in the second. It might have been a bit too glossy in the first one but the normal detail seemed to read better, it looks a lot flatter now. If you can get better contrast in your spec and gloss (roughness map) then the glossy less worn parts vs the more worn out matte parts should read better as well as aid in the normal readability.
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy thinkklinck. I tried messing around with the values but the biggest benefit to the floor that I can do is adjust the lighting, I am working on that now and will show you what I am working on with that.
    by the way, love your avatar image.
  • Christian Cunningham
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
    post some of your material editor shots in ue4 please
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    post some of your material editor shots in ue4 please

howdy, got some pictures of the material editor for you.
    The first one is kinda small but its a basic vertex color interpolation setup between the wood floor and a lighter version of the floor for some breakup in the red vertex color channel. The blue vertex color interpolates some papers scattered on the ground, but it did not give the desired results so I am going to try it with the foliage brush.

The second picture is just a basic material setup I have. just a base color/ albido, metal, spec, roughness and normal map.

SsOPoMR.png
    wglDETs.png
  • ThinkKlinck
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal wrote: »
    Howdy thinkklinck. I tried messing around with the values but the biggest benefit to the floor that I can do is adjust the lighting, I am working on that now and will show you what I am working on with that.
    by the way, love your avatar image.

Cant wait to see! again really like what you got in there now. And thanks! Also do you know the reference of my avatar or do you just enjoy a good old panda suplex haha (If you dont it would be more normal than not to know haha)
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Cant wait to see! again really like what you got in there now. And thanks! Also do you know the reference of my avatar or do you just enjoy a good old panda suplex haha (If you dont it would be more normal than not to know haha)

Howdy. I don;t get the reference but that panda is just hilarious.

anyway I got some new pictures for everyone, first off showing off some more of the assets.

the second picture is the current build of my level. I am starting to tackle the floor with breakup stuff.

Which leads me to my big question for you guys, what small props would you think would of survived in this environment? I want to add stuff like some garbage, maybe soda cans and office supplies.

xPyUaSo.jpg

om1aLyS.jpg
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy, Got an update on the scene. working more on ruble and getting things in the background in good shape.
    I also have a wall in the background I may do something with. not to sure.

u5QiOdl.png
    NiHCY4Q.png
  • ThinkKlinck
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess depending on the time period you could put in some old typewriters, or old computers.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    If argue that part of what's working against you is the sloppiness of the textures. The chair and stool seat have deep cuts in the normals that don't really make sense. If you had a normal map with those cuts that was 256, tiled it many times across some of your materials and decreased the depth by a good margin, you might get some really nice micro scratches in your textures.

Look at games that have materials like what you're doing and try to reverse engineer their textures. I recall hitman: absolution, max Payne 3 and uncharted 3 all having detailed bar environments. Might be worth taking a quick visit into those
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy,
    I have been working on some textures. Trying to get the materials and scale working right some objects.
    Thank you very much BringMeASunkist. I looked up some of those references and they helped.

Here is the latest render. I left a little easter egg for those who want to try to find it.
    I8qAY8s.jpg

Here are some updates of what the meshes look like in game.
    BFZe2jt.jpg

Here are some pictures of the textures that I have for those whom are interested.
    Base Color
    xadIF1a.png
    Roughness
    8y093Cz.png
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Got a fly through of the environment for your guys.

https://vimeo.com/102145528
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy, last update I am going to make, got some final renders for those who are interested.

DOPXCHi.jpg
    KjOPP1u.jpg
    iEJYEf9.jpg
  • AneeshaRode
    looks cool, if you're still open to tweaking things I would break up the floor a bit and perhaps play with the color grading in UE4.
  • metrons
    This is turning out really nice. loved the latest update, the lighting is looking really solid. neat to see this at night. awesome work. 

cheers
  • kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    nice. i think  the footprints should be more subtle.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Did you guys notice the last reply before yours is almost two years old? 

Abandoned is right.