Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD - Q&A

Replies

• Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    When the contest is over do we have the right to use our work for a bigger personal project? I have something I've been putting off making on my own and this fits the bill, but I need to know that no one else will end up owning the rights to my work from this contest.

Answer: Yes, you retain full rights to your artwork, and can do anything you please with it.
  • vempdance
    Offline / Send Message
    vempdance polycounter lvl 5
    Oh,diorama means pedestal,Got it.Thank m4dcow and dempolys for your help.:poly124:
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Can we downplay or nearly ignore the pilot part? I don't really have the time to do a vehicle and a character.... that is an insane amount of work.

Answer: The essence of the contest is the relationship between driver/vehicle, so while you are free to put as much or as little effort into one or the other, that may be reflected on how your entry is judged.

EQ's personal take: You could probably do something creative here, with a very simple/small, stylized character and still be effective.
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, thanks for answering all these questions. Looking through the thread a lot of things were answered for me. I just have 2 questions that I don't believe anyone asked.

- Are our vehicles required to have weapons attached?

Answer: There are no specific requirements for weapons, the contest is a deathmatch theme though, so keep that in mind. How you choose to interpret that is up to you.

- Are we allowed to comp together several images into our Beauty shot of our vehicle and pilot in action? Example: a 3 frame comic strip.

Answer: No, you are required to submit two unique beauty shots, comping in multiple extra shots is not allowed.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Muzz wrote: »
    I personally think this is really shitty.

it turns a competition from being about a community to make art, and instead is crow-barring in an advertising agenda.

Yeah i get it. It's great to have sponsors and i don't have a problem with that, it's simply forcing me to use a specific piece of software that i have a problem with.

EDIT:
    "Please use this PSD file for use of the PETROL/BLOOD and contest sponsor logos. You may also use any custom logos you or your team may have."

Yeah I'm out. I'm not interested in doing spec work to advertise tool sets.

ANSWER: Not a question, so not really an 'answer'. The PSD file is there for easement, its not a requirement. Sorry to hear you won't be participating.

the dota contest stuff forced you to work within their boundaries as well, same for TF2. Lets face it, in production you will always get some boundaries by your higher ups, if you like them or not. There is still a lot more freedom in this contest than you would get in most studio situations. On top of that, you get it for free and the chance to learn it, but you don't have to use it for 100% of the workshop. This is also a great thing for Quixel as your feedback will improve their software.
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Same as BARDLER here, I can enter if it's about a vehicle and diorama, but teaming up/making a character is unlikely for me. I'll watchout the space if these conditions change.

Answer: A driver, vehicle and pedestal/diorama are all required, no exceptions.

Also I'm not sure about DDO, what if I want to use my substance tools instead?

Answer: Use of the Quixel Suite is required for 10% of your texture content, the rest can be created with any tools you like.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Neox wrote: »
    the dota contest stuff forced you to work within their boundaries as well, same for TF2. Lets face it, in production you will always get some boundaries by your higher ups, if you like them or not. There is still a lot more freedom in this contest than you would get in most studio situations. On top of that, you get it for free and the chance to learn it, but you don't have to use it for 100% of the workshop. This is also a great thing for Quixel as your feedback will improve their software.

Are you seriously comparing working in a studio to joining a competition?

I think there is a major difference here. We are game artists we aspire to work on games, the competitions for Dota and TF2 offered massive exposure and a chance to work on games that you love. They weren't arbitrary restrictions.

The restrictions benefited the artists first and foremost who signed up to the competition. The benefits here benefit the companies who sponsored above all.

One could also mention that an influential art forum that is read by thousands of people other than regular users, that having a bias over art tools is not a great thing to do. Even if those tools were made by poly-count veterans.

But hey there is a chance that i rolled out of the wrong side of bed.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    So the reason using valves tools for their games is less arbitrary because you can win bigger prizes?
    Because thats all the big difference, you could make some real money from it, but it is not like valve didn't make the bigger cut. We are talking about 75% here, this company benefited from those contests.
    And don't get me wrong i love the workshop and what it does and i'm also fine with the 25% share as IF something gets in its more money than you would ever get from a client or employer.
    However that only means that if you could get a better plattform for your exposure with the chance of winning much more money you would be fine to use someone elses software and regulation.

the principle is pretty much the same, valve is just bigger and has more to offer.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    That's not what i was trying to say, sorry if i got the wrong message across.

How about i change it to a question.

In what way does placing tech limitations make this competition a better experience for entrants?
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i understand the direction you are heading, i just don't see an issue. because in what way was limiting a character to 10k polies a better experience? You could also just see it as part of the challenge, pretty much like using 4k textures.
    If you don't have Photoshop okay well not every challenge is for everyone - thats how it is. Unearthly wasn't a thing for 100% character artists while Dominancewar was never something for prop artists - unless they accepted the challenge.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I wouldn't make that argument on the principle that purchasing photoshop is not a 'challenge' its a monetary barrier.

Honestly I don't have a problem with Quixel being mandatory. Ultimately a huge part of this competition is advertising/marketing or sponsorship if you will. That is fine, regardless of the product. but there's no point denying it - It is what it is, and some people will not be able to enter. It's not dissimilar to the TF2 or DOTA2 competitions, it's just not the same either.

:I
  • CactusFantastico
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    As much as people won't say it, anyone who doesn't have photoshop but wants to enter will find a way if you catch my drift. There no point denying it.

It should go without saying, but, anyone who is found to have knowingly violated any of the rules of the contest will be disqualified.
  • Der Hollander
    I had a couple of questions:

Is using existing companies vis-a-vis manufacturers/sponsors okay, or should we make our own? (I was thinking of using Fairchild)

Also, I'm sure this has been answered ad-naseum, but I just wanted to make sure that like in the Vertex fighting game contest that effects also count towards our texture budget?

ANSWER: I don't understand your first question, though if you're asking if you can use software in addition to (not as a replacement of) Toolbag 2 or Quixel Suite, feel free.

Yes, FX come from your 4096x4096 budget.
  • DEDE_pig
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Hi,

What the definition of vehicular showdown ?

ANSWER: A death-match battle royal (E.g. Twisted Metal). Only PETROL/BLOOD isn't limited to in-organic, metal vehicels.
  • sunny fernando
    Offline / Send Message
    sunny fernando polycounter lvl 5
    Hi,

Can we use someone else's concept art as long as we credit the artist?In other words the concept is original but never has been translate into 3D.

Cheers

Answers: All designs/creations must be original to PETROL/BLOOD.
  • EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Hi,

Can we use someone else's concept art as long as we credit the artist?In other words the concept is original but never has been translate into 3D.

Cheers

As far as I know, in every contest context, original means that it originated from you or your team for the contest purpose~
  • sunny fernando
    Offline / Send Message
    sunny fernando polycounter lvl 5
  • dyv
    Is it ok, to have a driver riding on his vehicle and monster chasing him in one scene?

ANSWER: This contest is about your vehicle and its rider being in an action shot. No other vehicles or character art should be in your diorama.
  • ChickenSoup
    Any limitations on loosely basing it on real-life vehicles, Had an idea for a sort of Hybrid between a MAZ 7907 and the Schwerer Gustav railway gun.

Probably a bit slow for a deathmatch but it would have a very big gun!

ANSWER: Sounds good. Though typically in game development if the dev/pub doesn't have a licensing deal with the car manufacturer steps are taken so the car in-game doesn't have identifying features of the car its trying to replicate.
  • Vectroid
    Offline / Send Message
    Vectroid polycounter lvl 7
    Do we need to create 2 separate dioramas for the 2 poses or just one that is used in both?
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Could we get a sticky for everyone to post their latest in, similar to the WAYWO threads?

I know it often makes for easier browsing if there's one thread and everyone links from it to their own thread (or adds a link to their signature).
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Could we get a sticky for everyone to post their latest in, similar to the WAYWO threads?

I know it often makes for easier browsing if there's one thread and everyone links from it to their own thread (or adds a link to their signature).

This is a good idea!
  • omneom
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Hey !

Are we allowed to do 2 vehicles and 2 pilots (different models for vehicle/pilot, using 4 x 4096 texture sheets) + diorama instead of just one vehicle and a rider?
    This would further more reflect the actual fightning part. Not as mandatory, but optional maybe if possible (without being disqualified).

Thank you !

ANSWER: 1 rider/pilot and 1 mount/vehicle per entry.
  • allknighter
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    hey,
    is it possible to make a wild chase kinda scene.
    was thinking of an old man chasing after an alien in an oldpersonmobile, with a stick; where the alien in turn is terrifiedly running away, shooting behind himself with a gun.
    would that be possible, or would it have to be a face to face kinda scene..?
    thanks;)
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    hey,
    is it possible to make a wild chase kinda scene.
    was thinking of an old man chasing after an alien in an oldpersonmobile, with a stick; where the alien in turn is terrifiedly running away, shooting behind himself with a gun.
    would that be possible, or would it have to be a face to face kinda scene..?
    thanks;)

A similar question was asked on the previous page. Your idea would make a great entry for last year's contest, Escape though ;)
  • turbinea
    Offline / Send Message
    turbinea polycounter lvl 7
    I would like to ask about fan art. I know it is against rules, and my entry quite strongly resembles character from game called Warframe, but is not based on anything specific existing in that game, it is just strongly inspired. I'm asking this after seeing other entries, some of those can be considered as fan art (at least in my opinion). Motorcycle and plane models based and/or inspired by existing vehicles and so on.

my entry is here
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136316

typical warfame model can be seen here
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MuLLhpjhqrM/Uf4ver_Lu0I/AAAAAAAAACQ/mAT2jG4oW8g/s1600/Excalibur2.png

i do NOT want to create problems for other guys, just would like to know how much against rules my entry is. thanks.

ANSWER: If its not fan art, then its not fan art ;) Being inspired by something is fine.
  • seanpetitt
    Offline / Send Message
    seanpetitt polycounter lvl 14
    What if the vehicle is a type of spirit that shape shifts weapons, armor, and other mechanical pieces to form a vehicle, that is powered by the spirit. The spirit in some sense is the vehicle, but is controlled by a magic user/summoner that is the driver.

Too obscure?

Answer: That's for you to decide :)
  • Hopen
    Can I do a summoner and a summoned being as pilot and vehicle?

Answer: No :)
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Hopen, I think you can. You could do a pig riding a banana monster and that'd be cool with the rules too.
  • hedi
    hi ,i want to upload my work for petroblood contest but couldnt find the way,it seems that i cant post new threads,i am new in polycount ,thanks for helping me.regard
  • cagdasx44
    I am new here so excuse my ignorance but rules says you need 2 beauty shots, this means same scene with different angles or 2 different scenes?

And how we will make technical shot, what does examples of geometry, texrure work and quixel work means? we will only show geometry then only Texture and then only quixel or will we just take a shot with all of them on at the same time?

ANSWER: It's up to you to decide how to handle the 2 beauty shots. Just make sure to not at much at all/any new artwork for the second diorama. (Different composition/posing is fine.)

Best bet is to look at previous concepts to figure out how you'd like to best present your technical presentation.
  • BrendonIsaiahBengtson
    I'm attempting to join the challenge...
    I have created an account here at Polycount but I cannot start a thread to show my beginning work.
    I'm probably missing something. Please help.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You've been approved ;)
  • BrendonIsaiahBengtson
  • createdbyi
    Offline / Send Message
    createdbyi polycounter lvl 5
    I am curious. I would like to join the contest, but my Toolbag trial expired today. Will it be reset? I saw this was asked a month ago, but I am still unsure how this trial period for marmoset toolbag works. Any help is appreciated.

ANSWER: The Toolbag 2 trial will be available for the duration of the contest.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    It should be reset for the period of the competition. I'm not sure if you need to contact Marmoset or anything, though. I was under the impression it should "just work".
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    In the technical specs it mentions the maximum texture size we can use are 4096x4096, does that mean we can use lower res textures?

ANSWER: Yes, you can use smaller textures. You can also use multiple smaller textures, as long as the total does not exceed 4x4k. For example, you could use 4 2x2k textures, or 16 1x1k textures, or any other combination that doesn't use over 4x4k total.
  • diskojerk
    I'm a Mac user. Quixel unfortunately does not make their tools available to Mac. Should I bother entering?

ANSWER: Unfortunately for Mac users a requirement of this contest is that you use those tools.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    fearian wrote: »

Honestly I don't have a problem with Quixel being mandatory.

The only issue I can see here is that Quixel only runs on Windows.

This challenge isn't even trying to be platform agnostic for artists ;)

It does look like a cool bit of software though, lets hope they service Mac based game developers one day (of which there are a lot these days, thanks to Unity)
  • DariusK
    Hi,
    have anyone had a problem with mesh size/scale?
    I'm importing an object from MODO and in MODO it is correct size, but after loading it in Quixel its probably 1:150 of size judging from the texture scale. And even if I scale the texture to -8 its still too big. Any suggestions or thoughts why is this happening?
    Thank you.
  • turbinea
    Offline / Send Message
    turbinea polycounter lvl 7
    can we create 2 different pedestals for each situation? within texture limit i mean.

ANSWER: Feel free to change the props used, but try and keep the shape/staging the same.
  • Mike8917
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    I've read through all of the questions (thanks for answering those btw :) ), but there's still something that I'm struggling to understand about the texture size limit. Apologies as I know this has been mentioned quite a lot, but I'd like to make sure as I'm planning my UVs at the moment.

where you say for example, 4096 texture res for the vehicle, does this mean that all of the maps i.e. normal map, gloss, albedo, specular, when laid out flat, have to equal 4096? So really 4x2k maps to equal 4096 for the vehicle?

Or is it 4k for each texture. So 4k albedo, 4k normal map, 4k gloss and so on.

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I just needed it clearing up :) cheers!
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Mike8917 wrote: »
    I've read through all of the questions (thanks for answering those btw :) ), but there's still something that I'm struggling to understand about the texture size limit. Apologies as I know this has been mentioned quite a lot, but I'd like to make sure as I'm planning my UVs at the moment.

where you say for example, 4096 texture res for the vehicle, does this mean that all of the maps i.e. normal map, gloss, albedo, specular, when laid out flat, have to equal 4096? So really 4x2k maps to equal 4096 for the vehicle?

Or is it 4k for each texture. So 4k albedo, 4k normal map, 4k gloss and so on.

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I just needed it clearing up :) cheers!

its 4k each texture, you can use as many transluscency, emissive and whatever maps as you like(and marmoset supports), has been answered before
  • Mike8917
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks Goeddy!! :D
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    The Deadline thread title says "24th August" but isn't it actually the 23rd?
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I saw the same thing. Was wondering if we have Sunday to work on this as well or if everything has to be in at the latest by Saturday at Midnight.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry - it is Sunday the 24th @ 23:59 EST (GMT -4)
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    I love the sound of that! Thanks Adam!
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    Ah cool, thanks for clearing that up