Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] A.Vlaskin's Pirate Lair

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Texelion polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys long time no see. I started this scene some time ago but never finished it, so I decided to give it a shot with UE4. It's based on a concept from Artyom Vlaskin ( who doesn't know him, seriously ? ), and, as it was designed for the abandonned game Captain Blood, I guess it's some kind of pirate lair, so I'll call it like that ^^ ( doesn't look really pirate-ish but well ).

Note that it's just a fanart, I didn't work on Captain Blood of course.

So, there is no specular nor normal maps in the scene, I wanted to do something purely with hand painted diffuse maps and lighting ( on the other hand I started an entirely sculpted scene to do real next gen stuff, but I don't know when I will finish it ).

Enough talking, here are some preview screens. Feel free to comment, it's not completely finished yet and I can change some stuff.

Original concept :

38_large_art.jpg

HighresScreenshot00009.jpg

HighresScreenshot00010.jpg

HighresScreenshot00011.jpg

HighresScreenshot00012.jpg

HighresScreenshot00013.jpg

HighresScreenshot00014.jpg

HighresScreenshot00015.jpg

HighresScreenshot00016.jpg

HighresScreenshot00017.jpg

HighresScreenshot00018.jpg

HighresScreenshot00019.jpg

HighresScreenshot00020.jpg

HighresScreenshot00021.jpg

HighresScreenshot00022.jpg

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I love it, really pretty, great texture work mate!

my only crit is I think the scene is a little big, the concept is more cramped together, less free space.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the sort of clean style of hand-painted textures. Not too noisy or busy, I love it!
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    This is actually really good i like this, the detail is amazing, you haven't let anything in the concept slip away. Keep up the good work
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet : maybe it's because of the FOV, the scene seems deformed I'll have to correct that, it shouldn't look so long. Well I had to adapt the proportions of course, it's not like the concept, and I added a lot of stuff too. But I see what you mean.

Quick list of stuff I'll change/add :

- FOV
    - adding some spider webs maybe ?
    - reducing the fog
    - reducing the bloom
    - darkening the ground a bit ?
    - adding some decals on the ground ( wine stains, dirt )
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I really dig this but the shadows look really harsh; particularly on the steps. This probably doesn't need to be as evenly lit as the concept cuz you have a better mood established, but I think the contrast between the top and sides if the steps is too... contrast-y.

Unfortunately, I haven't used UE4 so I can't offer suggestions. In UDK I believe those settings were under the environment settings.

Also I don't like the fog. Maybe personal preference but more detail in the rafter textures and the lighting should really help add visual interest instead of seeing the rafters fade into fog
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Beautiful Lightning.
    Very nice scene :)
  • Snight
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Nice! I love the lighting and all of the texture work. The fog is a bit heavy and doesn't quite match the lighting in the scene. You might want to consider saturating it a little bit and reduce the intensity.
  • GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Holy Bloomin Onion! Yeah.. take the bloom down a bit.

Other than that, pretty sweet. I like.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunkist : yeah those steps are buggering me aswell. The problem is that the lights are just above them, so they cast a shadow on the vertical planes, and I don't know how to correct this. I can't just make the texture lighter because it's the same texture as the lower wall ( or I'll have to duplicate tha texture/shader just for taht, maybe ). The environment color doesn't seem to work here ( I've read somewhere that it only works on outdoors scenes with a directionnal light, don't know if it's true ), and I use a skylight to set the ambiant color. I just got my hands on UE4 some weeks ago so I don't know how the lighting really works ^^.

Anyway here are some new shots with decreased bloom and fog. I added some floating "dust" and spider webs, and darkened the ground a bit. And changed the FOV, looks less stretched now.

corrected01.jpg

corrected02.jpg

corrected03.jpg

corrected04.jpg

corrected05.jpg

corrected06.jpg

If someone can help with the ambiant lighting, I'd glady appreciate ^^.
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    friggin awesome dude! love it! nice cozy feel, kind of remind me a bit of Scarlet Monastery in world of warcraft.
  • DWalker
    I'd lose the boards and the light from the windows. In the concept, the window is dark.

Is there a reason you haven't included the bear & deer heads?

The folds in the curtain are too sharp.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm not forced to reproduce the concept exactly, right ? I don't like animal trophies and I wanted to do a sword and a shield instead ( also based on Valskin's concepts, btw ).

I'm hesitating for the windows. I tried to make them dark, it doens't look as good. I'm looking for an easy way to add godrays, but in the engine examples they use blueprints for that and I don't know how to use this...
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really cool, Texelion! Nice textures and great color choices!

I've been staring at this a while thinking about how you can continue pushing the lighting and atmosphere and it hasn't been easy (I'm a bit rusty). I think for me, I'd like to see greater importance put on the table at the head of the feast. I don't think you have a particularly strong focal point, and because you have so many practical sources, nothing takes precedence.

I think you should down-play the hanging lanterns a little. The lanterns aren't falling off enough and there's a lot of overlap with the adjacent light sources. This overlap is creating a lack of definition for each of the lights, making the left and right wall feel very even. This issue isn't very pronounced, you've done a pretty good job, but I'd like to feel the light dissipating as it travels away from the source. You could gently crescendo the lights in intensity as they approach the head table.

At the head table, litter it with candles - allow there to be more light and warmth here. Pull the saturation of the lanterns down a little so that there's some focal saturation to really pull your eye here.

Overall, a little variety in intensity and saturation will bring some more character to the space, regardless if you take all or some of my comments to heart.

Very nice job so far, just some minor suggestions. Keep it up!

-Jon
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Jon, I thought that the main table lacked a bit of focus too. I'm gonna make some changes and tune the lanterns a bit.

And I finally managed to make godrays coming from the windows so I removed the planks ^^. Took me like 3 hours to understand the blueprint and shader of the example scene.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    And some new shots, changed the lighting a bit and added the godrays. It's the best I can do with this blueprint stuff...

new01.jpg

new02.jpg

new03.jpg

new04.jpg

new05.jpg

new06.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'd totally agree after reading Jon's lighting comments. He's got a good eye for that stuff. Definitely make the head table the focal point and work in a warm/cool balance.

I did a quick paintover of the major things I see.

jeffparrott_Texelion_PO01.gif

There's a few other issues here and there:

Scale on things is super off.
    -Chair on the right (and maybe all over) is too wide.
    -The deals holding the lanterns (I outlined the left one) is squashed. Check the concept closer.
    -Larger rugs on the floor

The roof support appears too high near the end.

Where's the deer mount and bear? Those are super cool shapes that you're lacking in this box room right now. Get those in!

Flour sacks on the right are rigid and stiff. Make a version slumped over that has a bit more organic feel to it.

Picnic table in the back is darker in value than the concept so it blends in. Make it pop!

The pillars near the great table in the back same thing. So dark. Raise the value of those and add that detailing.

Overall comment about the texture rendering too. None of the textured assets stand on their own as having depth. They are all real shallow. You might want to add some normals on those or repaint most of them (brick walls biggest offenders). Faking depth is part of this style and you're missing the opportunity to do that. I would rework the brick wall texture. Paint it with a larger brush than the one you did now.

Make sure to compare values. The up close fireplace shot you can see it's all 1 value of grey. Adjust that so there's contrast. I did a write up on my blog about that kind of thing. Easier than retyping http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1127 it all up.

It's a great scene with tons of potential. You're like 80% there. That last 20% is what makes or breaks a piece. It also can take the longest to get through and can be tedious. So keep chipping away. When you get bored or want to rush though make a deer mount head thing. Do some smaller assets for fun when the last 20% drags on you.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jeff thanks for the feedback.

Well firstly let me say I'm a noob in environment art, I didn't make that since school, like, 4 years ago ^^. Wanted to be a character artist but it didn't go well so I gave a try at env art. Let's say it's my first scene in 4 years.

I understand that pushing the work as far as we can is better, but I don't have the time to redo all the textures to give them more depth. In fact the walls and ground are just placeholders and with the lighting and all the props I thought I could save some time by letting those textures as they are. I know it's a shame, I just can't spend 6 months refining this scene.

Now I agree with what you said but :

- I didn't try to reproduce the concept exactly, people seem to focus on small details like the ones you mentionned. I really don't think it's important to have the lanterns at the exact same size than the concept...

- they are not deer and bear heads but it's a moose ( the horns are larger ) and a gorilla head. I'm gonna try to add that even if I really don't like animal trophies like I said, but I admit that they add something to the scene.

- those flour sacks are actually wood logs.

- about the table and the pillars, I had a problem : they were really lighter at first, like in the concept, but then with the lighting, and especially the skylight coloring everything in blue/purple, they poped too much. I had to correct a lot of textures to balance them with the lighting ( the candle holders were too dark for example ).

- a friend of mine working as an environment artist told me that the objects shouldn't "stand on their own", they are just here to fill the level and the player shouldn't focus on them. That's also why I didn't put a lot of work in each asset, because I knew that once in the scene and lit, we wouldn't focus on each one. Sure when you do nice screenshots of individual props without nothing else around, it's better to make them extra nice.

- on your gif you did put godrays coming from two different directions, left and right... are there two suns or something ? Looks a bit odd. In the last version I changed the wondows so the light doesn't seem to come from both sides. Unfortunately my godrays suck, I'm not good at FX and stuff like this.

Anyway, I'm not as skilled as you in texturing, I have a lot to learn and I'm gonna do some individual big props ( not related with this scene ) for practice. I'm gonna try to work on that scene as far as I can, but I'm really lacking time unfortunately.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Defend/argue/ignore whatever you want man. Just trying to help out with a paintover. I know they help me a ton.

If you're an aspiring Artist then yes you do have the time and you should use it to make your work as amazing as possible.
    Texelion wrote: »
    - I didn't try to reproduce the concept exactly, people seem to focus on small details like the ones you mentionned. I really don't think it's important to have the lanterns at the exact same size than the concept...

-It is important. Employers are going to want to see you nail the concept not half do it and deviate and not listen. You should try to match the concept as close as possible since you're starting out. It will make the making it awesome part a lot easier.
    - they are not deer and bear heads but it's a moose ( the horns are larger ) and a gorilla head. I'm gonna try to add that even if I really don't like animal trophies like I said, but I admit that they add something to the scene.

-Moose/deer/bear/antelope heads? Who cares? Put some animal heads there. It's more about shapes and form than specifics. You need to work towards that.
    - those flour sacks are actually wood logs.

-Your wood logs look like flour sacks or just rectangles. Give them character.
    - about the table and the pillars, I had a problem : they were really lighter at first, like in the concept, but then with the lighting, and especially the skylight coloring everything in blue/purple, they poped too much. I had to correct a lot of textures to balance them with the lighting ( the candle holders were too dark for example ).

-The table/pillar you're missing my point. It's the value of the texture. Match the concept closer. Once you do and adjust the lighting it'll fall into place.
    - a friend of mine working as an environment artist told me that the objects shouldn't "stand on their own", they are just here to fill the level and the player shouldn't focus on them. That's also why I didn't put a lot of work in each asset, because I knew that once in the scene and lit, we wouldn't focus on each one. Sure when you do nice screenshots of individual props without nothing else around, it's better to make them extra nice.

-Yes and no. You need to make each asset awesome and the scene awesome. You sound like you're trying to rush through this. I'm not sure why. Rushed work will look bad and won't get you a job regardless on the number of pieces in your portfolio. You should take you take and focus on the process and improving not doing x project then y and z to get a job. I used to be like that and it didn't help
    - on your gif you did put godrays coming from two different directions, left and right... are there two suns or something ? Looks a bit odd. In the last version I changed the wondows so the light doesn't seem to come from both sides. Unfortunately my godrays suck, I'm not good at FX and stuff like this.

-It's less about god rays and more about break up and giving interest in the lighting. Again I would listen to Jon he's a lighter. I'm just an enviroment schmoo.

I'm not that great at texturing. I'm not comparing your textures and my work. I'm saying that your textures are flat in those areas. The brick work still stands out. Spend some time reworking that is my advice.

At the end of the day you seem pretty combative about critiques. That's your opinion because it's your work. Not sure why you're posting and asking for feedback if you're arguing with the feedback.

I'm just trying to help and give you an extra push to make this as awesome as the concept. Polycount isn't about kid gloves here. Straight forward critiques and improving is a big thing here. If you want great jobs and that's so awesome print it out and put it on your Mom's fridge or post at Zbrushcentral.

Also check your camera FOV. It looks super off for the concept.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I really like where this scene is going. Keep polishing and tweaking that lighting!

Two small things I spotted that I don't think anybody else mentioned:

1) The rugs are begging for some thickness/depth, especially the bear skin rug. The pelts themselves are usually extremely thick, and most times a lot of the head and skull structure is left intact so the head raises up off the floor.

2) The emissive textures on your lanterns are too uniform, they look artificially lit. Imagine what the inside of that glass would look like after years of candles burning inside. Make the middle of the glass a nice hot color and have the edges fade out into a soft warmer glow. Also, maybe even some soot darkening at the top would help it pop a bit more.

3) Do you have ambient occlusion turned on? It's off by default. You might want to double check and tweak the settings in the World Settings window under Lightmass. Tweaking it and pushing some shadows into the corners would help your lighting pop a lot more.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    It's a nice piece of work so far Texelion, some awesome critiques going on here to, I wish I had some of this critique in my thread :3

The godrays could be done with geometry instead of blueprints/FX (alpha shape etc...).

If you're going to take multiple shots of an environment then you're going to want some nice refined assets in there, if all the work goes into a focal point and you want to shoot something else, then that something else is going to look poop by comparison.
    For example I like the chest in the foreground (You've added that yourself I take it?), I'd like to see some stylization on it, maybe some big gold metal details. I'm more of a fan of nice little nuggets throughout an environment (well balanced ofc) as opposed to a great central piece and this has plenty of opportunity for that :)

Like I said it's looking great, and with some of this ace feedback from people implemented, this will be a really strong piece :D
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right Jeff, I'm trying to rush it. I'm never happy with my work, I could start this scene over right now, redoing all the assets, and still I wouldn't be happy. That's why I started at least 40 projects these last 2 years and I finished like 5 of them... finally I decided that not finishing stuff was worst than rushing...

I know you're trying to help don't worry, I'll keep your advices in mind. I was always trying to be awesome in the past, but it's so frustrating, maybe I just can't. At least not now. I try to improve my skills with every project a bit, I'm just not good enough to do something near perfect. I'll need years for that I guess. I know I'm above average but still not great enough, that's the harder wall to break.

I'll add the heads and tweak the lighting a bit ( it's difficult because I feel like the light sources are all over the scene, hard to focus on something ).

@Harbinger : yup you're right, those should have been real meshes and not simple planes with alpha. I'll see if I find some time to redo them, or maybe I will replace them with rugs.

I think I will redo those lanterns and put a candle in them with transparent glasses. It looks really fake like thise indeed.

And about the Ao, are you talking about the SSAO or the baked AO ? I tried to turn the baked AO on and it didn't really change anything. I just have a slight SSAO here.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I mean baked AO. Maybe you need to tweak the settings a bit. I think there is a way to visualize the AO by itself to make it easier to tweak, but I'm not sure where that setting is off the top of my head.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'll try that.

mheyman : I'm hesitating. The godrays always add a nice touch ( when they are well done, which is not the case here ^^ ), but having night time outdoor would be much easier I guess. The thing is, I can't find an easy tutorial to do nice godrays on unreal. Every darn tuto I watch is always overcomplicated, with shaders with a shitload of nodes everywhere, and now blueprints with UE4...
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Wonderful scene mate.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, wonderful beard Suba ^^.

Ok guys here are some new shots. After doing some tests with Romy I found out how the GI and indirect lighting affects the scene, so I did a new lighting from scratch. I also changed some things :

- replaced the emissive on the lanterns with glass, and a little brasero inside ( I tried with candles but they were too small, looked weird )
    - re-did the bear rug with volume ( yeah looks more like a teddy bear rug... )
    - added a boar head above the firepit ( it's an old mesh a did for an unfinished project, I re-textured it )
    - added an elk skull above the main table
    - added reflections in the windows with reflection spheres.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg
  • DireWolf
    Very, very charming! My first thought when I saw it wasn't a pirate cove tho, more like a Dwarvern tavern. Still, I love what you're doing.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    love what you did man ! feels so cozy, wish i could go and have a grab at that food
  • Elod.H
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, this is looking sweeeet! Love the feeling of it, it gives me a LotR vibe :) . Will be checking back here!
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I like it a lot!
    Some thoughts: Fog is good to get some depth into the scene and you could argue that the fire and lanterns will add a lot of smoke, but right now it's a bit too much for my taste and instead of subtly enhancing the scene it draws attention, also because it's unnaturally light.
    Also it seems to be a bit too cool for the scene. (Again, helps to get some depth, but also draws attention. Maybe you could try to add an exaggerated Skylight (hole/windows in the roof, not technical term),which adds a bit blue from the top. )
    Then again, I've seen similar use of fog in games already. Just doesn't lend itself so well for an indoor location, in my opinion, and looks like the kind of fog you'd add to blend out distant geometry as fast as possible.

You could still tone down the lanters a bit and make them more localized. They seem very bright and the scene could have a clearer lighting hierarchy.
    Lastly the wood of the benches but especially some of the pillars is very close to the stone in h/s/v.
    I'd probably remove some or all candles on the stair in front of the main table, in order to make the focus even clearer.

Edit: I'd also avoid putting different lightsources next to each other, if possible, like the lanterns in front of the fireplace. Combined with the similar intensity and color, it makes the lighting in that area seem flat and takes away the impact of the fireplace.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    MUCH MUCH improved!

I'd check the placement of the mounted animal heads, chairs, etc. The hallway design of the room is hiding some of these. You can adjust the placement a touch to make them viewable.
  • JamieRIOT
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Really good job on this. Great to see you have taken the crits of others well and implemented them, the results are reflecting this.
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    :poly101: It's beautiful!
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I had a frigging bug yesterday, there was a storm and the power went out during a lighting build. When I restarted, Un real wouldn't open the map because it said that "it was saved with a more recent version of the engine". Dafuq ? I thought I lost everything but I found a backup saved 2 minutes before the power outage...

Anyway here are some other shots, but I think I'll go back to what I had before because I prefer the previous version.

- pushed back the wooden structure and the lanterns into the walls to have a better look at the boar head ( it was hidden by the lantern ).
    - added a small light under the elk skull to hightlight it a bit.
    - reduced the fog ( but it looks worse now I don't like it, gonna change that ).
    - reduced the lanterns lights a bit
    - desaturated the whole scene a bit
    - reduced the bloom ( I'm gonna change that too )

05.jpg

And here is a shot without fog. I don't know why but the skylight deosn't work without the fog, at all...

06.jpg

I know that this kind of fog is not realistic but honestly it adds something to the lighting and helps lighting the dark areas.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Man this is nice.
    Could you make a Breakdown for us? :D
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I know that this kind of fog is not realistic but honestly it adds something to the lighting and helps lighting the dark areas.
    Sure thing, it's your piece after all. Personally, I'd go from the shot without any fog and would try to develop that further.
    Also I'd really turn off the lanterns left and right of the fireplace and add some more bounce light from the fire/below in that area. But that's just me.

edit: Just to make that clear: I'm not saying to get rid of the fog completely. Like mentioned, it's an important tool to give depth and enhance the atmosphere, but to use it more subtly and work more with the light itself. And if you liked the older version, then by all means keep that.
  • The_Distiller
    Great atmosphere and visual style, thumbs up!
  • TuurSangers
    Offline / Send Message
    TuurSangers polycounter lvl 5
    Looks absolutely stunning, every detail just seems right.
    Yet all the carpets around the red one seem a bit of, but maybe thats just me.
    Anyway, Great work
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Hey man just wanted to say I am glad you went back to this piece the redo is WAY better. Also I say keep the fog it adds a bit of atmosphere. It's not a realistic environment anyways.
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Hey nice work, I really like the improvement! One thing to help with taking the fog down but keeping some depth is with the lighting. Right now every thing is pretty well evenly lit, and that will lead to the loss of depth. You can try adding a cube map into a post processing volume to keep some color in the dark areas of the scene.

I like the idea of the dust particles, but they look more like lit ashes right now.

Keep going looks good!
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    How does a cubemap affect the shadows ? I don't know that kind of stuff. Do I have to create it myself ?
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    beautiful man
    very very cool
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Cube maps will give an ambient light biased off a map you use. You can download some from http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Textures don't use these to make money, but for personal projects they are great. Plug the one you want in the Cubemap space in a Post Process Volume, you can adjust some settings for it in there as well.

Here are the UDN docs for it for more info https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/Textures/Cubemaps/index.html
  • MooseCommander
    I'd suggest using a post process volume with an edge detection on it. The concept has a really distinct line weight to it, similar to the Borderland's "comic book" style. Adding that would help set that sort of tone in the scene, and it is pretty easy to set up.

Also, instead of a generic cubemap, you should just be placing the SphereReflection actors, they'll help quite a bit. If you can find an appropriate cubemap it might help, but it will also be very "fake."
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll wrote: »
    Cube maps will give an ambient light biased off a map you use. You can download some from http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Textures don't use these to make money, but for personal projects they are great. Plug the one you want in the Cubemap space in a Post Process Volume, you can adjust some settings for it in there as well.

Here are the UDN docs for it for more info https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/Textures/Cubemaps/index.html

Thanks I'm gonna try that.

MooseCommander : I think that ambiant cubemaps in UE4 are different from reflection cube maps; Il already did put reflections sphere for the reflection in the scene ( on the glass ).

I'm gonna try to find out how to do the outline, it could look good indeed.
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    This is sweeet !

I'd suggest using a post process volume with an edge detection on it. The concept has a really distinct line weight to it, similar to the Borderland's "comic book" style. Adding that would help set that sort of tone in the scene, and it is pretty easy to set up.

Totally agree, you should give it a try !

I do also believe you could add a little variation in your wall bricks, they all have exactly the same color/brightness. Or maybe it's too subtle for my poor eyes :)
  • MooseCommander
    Thanks I'm gonna try that.

MooseCommander : I think that ambiant cubemaps in UE4 are different from reflection cube maps; Il already did put reflections sphere for the reflection in the scene ( on the glass ).

I'm gonna try to find out how to do the outline, it could look good indeed.

Well, there is a difference, but to put it simply...

With PBR, everything has a reflection, even the most rough and diffuse of surfaces.

Because of this, the reflection spheres are applying a cubemap to your materials. In many ways, this is replicating an ambient cubemap because you're essentially telling the surface to reflect that environment, which increases how "bright" that material appears. So it does add a slight difference on top of your base lighting. Not a lot, it is subtle, but it does.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've read the doc and this look a bit complicated for me so I'll pass on the cubemap. I don't even think it will be noticeable as I don't have a complete pbr shader, but only a diffuse.

I also tried to add an outline, with the post process shader from the example, but it doesn't look good. Either I have an outline on all the assets but big artefacts on the surface wich are paralel to the camera, or I have an outline only on half the assets and no artefacts. Both look bad, and the outline flickers a lot.

Now I could continue working on this for weeks, but the more I work on it, the more I want to start over ^^. I guess I'll just gonna keep going and start something else to learn the PBR materials.

Anyway here are the last changes :

- went back to the old fog
    - added some variations to the wall texture ( it's still bad but well... )
    - darkened the bench and tabl texture
    - lightened the pillars
    - added some dirt decals on the walls and ground
    - disabled the dust particles

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

If I don't change my mind I'll do the final shots, and a small breakdown but really there is nothing interesting to see.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some set dressings for my portfolio :

dinerroom_props01_by_texelion-d7up603.jpg

dinerroom_props02_by_texelion-d7up687.jpg

dinerroom_props03_by_texelion-d7up6bv.jpg

Done with this, time to move on.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    what a beautiful peace of art! good job man