Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD - Q&A

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Ask any and all questions you may have regarding our PETROL/BLOOD contest here.

Full details: http://www.polycount.com/petrolblood/

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The theme of this contest is simple: Participants will create a diorama of a vehicle and its driver* who are competing in a vehicular death-match tournament. Not one, but two beauty images will be required to entry: An in-action shot, a pre-battle pose, or a post-battle pose. Artists must consider the emotional connection a pilot or rider has with their vehicle or beast.
    The * mark on the word 'driver' doesn't seem to be clarified anywhere on the page, so just wonder what's up with that?

Also wondering since there are texture limits, would you be allowed to have an alternate texture for, say, the vehicle if you choose to make a post-battle pose? And I assume if you were to say break up the textures into multiple maps rather than work with a single 4096^2 that would be fine as long as you don't exceed 4096x4096 pixels total.

ANSWER: *Rider/Beast, Pilot/Ship, etc.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Any limitations / specs for the diorama? The only limits mentioned are for the char and the vehicle.

ANSWER: Same as everything else: 4096x4096, no triangle limit.
  • Overmind5000
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 11
    Quick question for the Q&A: does the content have to be original, or it can be fan art in nature?

ANSWER: Straight from the contest page under 'Rules': Must be original artwork and designs (nothing from existing IP’s or “fan art” are allowed)
  • Loutrattitude
    Offline / Send Message
    Loutrattitude polycounter lvl 6
    Quick question : The name of the contest is "Petrol/Blood", but it is also said that : "Animal/beast + rider" is possible. Is the petrol part obligatory for this kind, (like animal/machine mix) or is the title more of a idea for the combination of ride and driver ?

ANSWER: Petrol AND blood is not a requirement for an entry, just one of the other. Though a machine/beast hybrid sounds interesting ;)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Quick question for the Q&A: does the content have to be original, or it can be fan art in nature?

Contest page says no (last dot point under rules).
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    When it says original artwork I assume for the vehicle you cannot create one that already exists in real life

ANSWER: That's up to you, really. The goal is to try and create as original a piece of artwork as possible, while avoiding video game 'fan art' (E.g. no racers from Mario Kart).
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    So no basing on an existing piece of concept art ?

ANSWER: Your entry should be original for the contest. So if you're inspired by a concept, that's one thing. But if you're taking an existing concept and replicating it 1:1 that's bad.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Does the driver have to be human/humanoid/organic? Could they both be animals?

Also this rule really sucks "Beauty shots must be taken from Marmoset Toolbag 2" because Marmoset was just on sale less than a month ago, it's kinda a kick to the stomach like I really should of bought it then.

ANSWER: Your driver can be whatever you'd like, so long as you can properly show the connection they may have to their vehicle.

All software is made 'free' by way of trials for this contest. You shouldn't need to spend a money to participate in this contest.
  • EarthQuake
    Zac: The trial version of Toolbag 2 will be extended for the duration of the contest (even if you've previously had a trial, all trials will be reset).
  • ed_3D
    Can it be a mechanical vehicle AND a mechanical driver? Or must one of them be human/ other organic thing?

Answered above already.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you split up your 4k sheets into say, a 4x2k, a 2x2k and 4 1x1k's ?
  • Leb
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    can the 4096x4096 maps be split into small maps?
  • EarthQuake
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Can you split up your 4k sheets into say, a 4x2k, a 2x2k and 4 1x1k's ?

Yes, just as long as the total size isn't greater than 4K.

So, 4 2x2k maps, or 16 1x1k maps, or any other combo that is no greater than 4K total is fine.

This may be useful if you want to use the skin shader for instance but don't want to author skin shader specific content for the non-skin elements. Ditto for hair/anisotropic content.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    In the rules it states that we must create original artwork and designs, and that 'fan art' is not allowed. Is it OK to create images of original designs of historical figures, e.g. would it be OK to show a mechanized Aaron Burr riding a pterodactyl and wielding a blunderbuss?

Answer: Sure.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    Question: When will all Toolbag trails be reset, mine has no indication that the trail has been reset. Do I need to re-install?
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    The Quixel Suite Beta must be used (non-exclusively) by users in the creation of their PBR materials. The software is available, for free, as a beta.
    can you please elaborate on this ?

is it mandatory to use ddo or ndo or both ?

what if i want to hand create 90% of the texture and just use ddo for creating the starting template only.
  • popawheelie
    Offline / Send Message
    popawheelie polycounter lvl 12
    An odd question, but is the artwork on submission still owned by the creator?

Answer: 100% yes
  • turbinea
    Offline / Send Message
    turbinea polycounter lvl 7
    Is there regional restriction for participants?

Shouldn't be, no.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't character and vehicle a bit much for 8 weeks? Escape had 10 weeks for character, environment or vehicle and Brawl has 7 weeks for a character or environment.

Answer: 8 weeks should be fine. You're also welcome to team up if you find it a bit tight.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, what about multiple pilots/riders for a single vehicle ? 4096 each pilot, or 4096 each team's pilots ?

Answer: 1 pilot, 1 vehicle. 1 rider, 1 beast, And so on. Also, either hats a cruel joke or you're unaware of my name.
  • BJA
    "Animal/beast + rider, car + driver, space ship + alien, and so on are all ALLOWED in this contest."

Is it mandatory to have a character for each vehicle? What if I make a mech or tank where you can't see the interior?

Answer: Yes its mandatory. You're responsible for two beauty shots. The other shots - where you show it in a pre-battle or post-battle pose is your opportunity to show the mechs pilot.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, either hats a cruel joke or you're unaware of my name.

Gahh, confused with names. My bad. It was not a joke !
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    Re-posting this because I need a fix for this or I cannot enter XD

Question: When will all Toolbag trails be reset, mine has no indication that the trail has been reset. Do I need to re-install?
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    MM wrote: »

what if i want to hand create 90% of the texture and just use ddo for creating the starting template only.

I'm curious about this too. Since the Quixel Suite seems to require Photoshop does this mean those that don't own Photoshop are basically out of luck and can't participate?
  • EarthQuake
    Robeomega wrote: »
    Re-posting this because I need a fix for this or I cannot enter XD

Yeah we just need to flip a switch, should be done soon, probably Monday at the latest as its the weekend here. You don't need to re-install or anything.
  • turbinea
    Offline / Send Message
    turbinea polycounter lvl 7
    can we have same model for both "teams"? maybe with different colors? similar to e.g. hockey or futbol?

Answer: For this competition every entry has to be original.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    I'm curious if your team has to make 1 character and 1 vehicle or 2 characters and two vehicles?
  • EarthQuake
    Teams up to two means two artists can work on one entry. Each entry consists only of one rider and one vehicle/mount.

You do not need to make two sets of models, though you can, if you want to submit multiple entries.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Is it okay to use original concept art created for this contest that isn't by the either of the two 3D Artists?

For example; if I have a friend create a concept for the vehicle and the character, can I still model the vehicle and my girlfriend models the character? Or does the original piece of concept art count as part of the team effort?

I apologize if I'm not being clear, I'm trying =P
  • EarthQuake
    Sorry, I found this response a bit confusing. So each vehicle / mount can only have a singular pilot / rider? So having one vehicle or mount with two riders is not allowed? Even if the two riders share the same 4096?

Also, if our pilot / vehicles have drastically different scales, can we break the textures up however we'd like as long as it never exceeds 2 x 4096s? For example, a tiny rodent piloting a giant godzilla sized vehicle. Could we give the rodent a 2048, and give the rest of the texture space to the vehicle?

The contest calls for one rider/pilot and one vehicle/mount. For now I'm going to say more than one rider would not qualify, but I will double check with Adam. Something like a singular rider with multiple heads or any number of limbs would be fine though.

As far as texture usage goes, I just asked about that and it seams reasonable to allow you guys guys to manage the 2x 4Ks how you like, if your vehicle is much larger than the rider, it only makes sense that you would dedicate more texture memory to the vehicle. So just think of it as 8x4K for both (and 4K for the diorama which can't be re-purposed).

RogelioD wrote: »
    Is it okay to use original concept art created for this contest that isn't by the either of the two 3D Artists?

For example; if I have a friend create a concept for the vehicle and the character, can I still model the vehicle and my girlfriend models the character? Or does the original piece of concept art count as part of the team effort?

I apologize if I'm not being clear, I'm trying =P

This situation would count as a team of 3 people, if you have someone doing concepts they count against the 2 person limit.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    The Quixel Suite Beta must be used (non-exclusively) by users in the creation of their PBR materials. The software is available, for free, as a beta.

would like some clarification on this please.
  • EarthQuake
    would like some clarification on this please.

There are no specific rules in terms of exactly how or how much you must use the Quixel Suite. So using DDO or NDO in some way would qualify.

I will double check on this, but AFAIK doing 90% of your texture work by hand is just fine.
    I'm curious about this too. Since the Quixel Suite seems to require Photoshop does this mean those that don't own Photoshop are basically out of luck and can't participate?

Yes, the use of the Quixel Suite is required, which requires Photoshop. 90% of your texture can be done by hand, with 10% of it coming from the Suite.
  • Wayfray
    Offline / Send Message
    Wayfray polycounter lvl 9
    What does a successfully presented diorama look like?

Edit: Some example portfolio pieces to help explain would be nice.

Answer: Ultimately that's up to you to decide. Research dioramas, read the brief, and try and draw up some conclusions on what a successful diorama will be like. Maschinen Krieger dioramas are a good place to start as they often show a strong relation between pilot and vehicle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1302237/1693784769_9734c53aa2.jpg
    http://tokyobling.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/maschinen_krieger_5.jpg
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/56/0d/9b/560d9b28b3cff59e0370f3208eaea34b.jpg

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    So we don't have to show the rivals, right ? Just 1 pilot on 1 vehicle. And some explosions and shits around. With the pilot giving angry glare into invisible enemies.

Answer: Right, just your entry.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    You and your team will be creating a diorama that depicts 2 of the following 3 stories. A vehicle and its driver who are either…
    preparing for their next round in a ‘death match’ tournament
    participating in a round of ‘death match’ tournament
    or reacting to the finale of the death-match tournament.

So, just 1 diorama that can be used in both situations ?

Answer: If you need to update the diorama for different stories, definitely use more than one.
  • darthjosh
    Offline / Send Message
    darthjosh polycounter lvl 3
    So this has to be in a diorama like those little boxes with a scene in them people made when they were kids? I just want to clarify because me brain went into a completely different direction.

ANSWER: Check above, there are examples.
  • R0gu3
    I know there was a maximum size for the vehicle, but is there a minimum? For instance I was thinking of doing a hoverboard type vehicle. would this be acceptable?

ANSWER: Do it!
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    darthjosh wrote: »
    So this has to be in a diorama like those little boxes with a scene in them people made when they were kids? I just want to clarify because me brain went into a completely different direction.
    Dioramas can be full-size too -- think about museum exhibits that show random stuff in giant glass cases. Those are another type of diorama. (Hence, I assume, the large size for the maximum on the vehicle. Otherwise that would be an absurdly large shoebox.)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    REGARDING DIORAMAS. Aim to have a diorama to vehicle scale ration as seen in the examples below. Since this is a death-match themed contest, having giant vehicles (huge Yachts, giant air ships, blimps, submarines, etc. doesn't make much sense.)

Here are some examples of scale/set up:

maschinen_krieger_5.jpg
    560d9b28b3cff59e0370f3208eaea34b.jpg

Smaller is also fine, if it works with the depiction:
    1693784769_9734c53aa2.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yes, the use of the Quixel Suite is required, which requires Photoshop. 90% of your texture can be done by hand, with 10% of it coming from the Suite.

I personally think this is really shitty.

it turns a competition from being about a community to make art, and instead is crow-barring in an advertising agenda.

Yeah i get it. It's great to have sponsors and i don't have a problem with that, it's simply forcing me to use a specific piece of software that i have a problem with.

EDIT:
    "Please use this PSD file for use of the PETROL/BLOOD and contest sponsor logos. You may also use any custom logos you or your team may have."

Yeah I'm out. I'm not interested in doing spec work to advertise tool sets.

ANSWER: Not a question, so not really an 'answer'. The PSD file is there for easement, its not a requirement. Sorry to hear you won't be participating.
  • DEDE_pig
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Hi,

Is it possible to use other concept artist's new concept pieces ?

Is just so nice that one of my frds just does a new piece that fit this contest :P

Answer: All work must be original to the contest.
  • mikeParker
    Can we use a base mesh for our characters or do we have to start completely from scratch?

Answer: That sounds fine.
  • Mawz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawz polycounter lvl 5
    I do remember this kinda being asked but i haven't seen an answer yet

Since we are making two dioramas are we able to have separate sets of 4096 maps for each diorama? Or do both dioramas have to Come from the same maps?

I.e. the battle damaged vehicle gets its own 4096 map and the pristine vehicle gets its own 4096 map

Answer: I would do your best to use one single texture sheet for both.
  • Graze
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    Can we team up with multiple people? 1 concept artist, 1 character artist and one vehicle artist?

Answered: This is answered on the contest page: Teams of up-to 2 people are allowed.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    any rules for the turntable? Does that count towards our total texture space?

Answer: The contest page was updated recently with this addition: 4096x4096 for the turntable as well. No triangle limit.
  • Kessler
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    Excellent contest theme!
  • vempdance
    Offline / Send Message
    vempdance polycounter lvl 5
    Because of my bad English,I couldn't under stand This well:

"4096
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator