Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Speed Portfolio Building!

Hello everybody! I am trying to get a base portfolio done and then put more advanced work. I want to make this quick but I want to be proud! Please post any critiques as soon as possible. I'm pumped off of two redbulls right now so lets get started!

First up a hi-poly combat knife in 1hr, 42minutes!
RLT1jgb.png
Time for the lowpoly! (Man really want to get this done and get an AK done xD, but no giving up..)
*Edit* Sorry almost forgot http://xproxywarsx.magix.net/index.html, just a portfolio I made in two days, check out the code, pretty clean I think(Also critique the site as hard as you can.)

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I just finished a redbull myself. First I think you should probably fix a lot of issues with the blade, that cut looks a bit odd and uneven as well as the blade. The handle has some kinda generic details ,I would would follow a good reference and model a real world knife.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    There's no point in rushing with a portfolio. The most important thing about a portfolio is the quality. Make it impressive and memorable! Nobody is going to care or remember that you modeled a knife in 1hr and 42 minutes if it's just mediocre looking. If you can model fast, use that speed to do something more challenging or put more work into it.

If you're going to bake this down to a low poly. The edges are really too tight. Also can we see your reference?

Until you get enough quality content for an actual portfolio just work with an art blog. :)
  • Proxywars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished a redbull myself. First I think you should probably fix a lot of issues with the blade, that cut looks a bit odd and uneven as well as the blade. The handle has some kinda generic details ,I would would follow a good reference and model a real world knife.
    Could you draw over my image so I have an exact place to fix? The knife is a Spartan Fox Combat Knife, it's pretty beautiful , but now I understand that it should be more round.
  • Proxywars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo wrote: »
    There's no point in rushing with a portfolio. The most important thing about a portfolio is the quality. Make it impressive and memorable! Nobody is going to care or remember that you modeled a knife in 1hr and 42 minutes if it's just mediocre looking. If you can model fast, use that speed to do something more challenging or put more work into it.

If you're going to bake this down to a low poly. The edges are really too tight. Also can we see your reference?

Until you get enough quality content for an actual portfolio just work with an art blog. :)

I completely agree with you tobbo, I would like some filler im proud of though. My dads friend works at 2K and I would like to have some proof that my two years with my custom pc wasn't for nothing. Yes im going to bake it down to low poly then bring it into nDo2 and put a few details in. Yea, from what I can see the blade and handle edges are too tight. Fixing them now.
    http://imgur.com/aSXIw8M,LrT3ztU,eotvFs0
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Few critiques:
    - the hole in the blade looks a little uneven, it looks much more uniform and sharp irl.
    - The blade itself isn't bad, it could just use some polish, it looks like you might be tightenig your geo towards the tip to make that ridge that extends towards the front, but i don't know for sure. Someone here could help much more if we could see a wire.
    -The sharp edge that starts at the top of the handle softens as it extends towards the bottom for a more ergonomic design.
    -Add the teeth at the bottom of the blade :)

Other wise, for a portfolio, i'm not too sure. It's a very simple, not very exciting object to look at, and even if executed really well, it may not catch the eyes of potential employers.

My advice would be to finish this piece and use it as a stepping stone to a better project, I bet you anything you could find a much, "cooler" knife to use what you learn from this on :)

Good luck!
  • Proxywars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stockwell wrote: »
    A Few critiques:
    - the hole in the blade looks a little uneven, it looks much more uniform and sharp irl.
    - The blade itself isn't bad, it could just use some polish, it looks like you might be tightenig your geo towards the tip to make that ridge that extends towards the front, but i don't know for sure. Someone here could help much more if we could see a wire.
    -The sharp edge that starts at the top of the handle softens as it extends towards the bottom for a more ergonomic design.
    -Add the teeth at the bottom of the blade :)

Other wise, for a portfolio, i'm not too sure. It's a very simple, not very exciting object to look at, and even if executed really well, it may not catch the eyes of potential employers.

My advice would be to finish this piece and use it as a stepping stone to a better project, I bet you anything you could find a much, "cooler" knife to use what you learn from this on :)

Good luck!

1. Hopefully fixed it.
    2. No clue what you mean =/
    3. I believe I fixed it but I might need to make it sharper. Most likely the texture will solve it.
    4. I have tried but failed miserably but i'll try again.
    5. Completely agree.

X0jD4rB.png
    pi5D0t8.png
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have access to post a paint over on your geo, but your problems are stemming from some bad edge loops and triangles >:| Grrrrr

HAHA Yes, found it.

This is a good breakdown by Perna of how to quad your triangles.

per128_sharp2.jpg

Doing this where the edge meet the flat surface on the top of the blade would allow you to get rid of the edgge loop that falls down onto your bottom knife edge, which creates a harder point alond what should be a smooth transition. Your hole looks better though!

I'd delete some of or most of your edge loops and quad out your triangles like above and see where your new support loops take you.

as for the handle, really relax those support loops near the bottom. You still have a harder crease flowing from top to bottom when it should go from hard to soft.

Keep going!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm no hardsurface wiz but your edge flow looks kinda bad. I suppose if it bakes down fine then it shouldn't be a problem but it's good practice to have clean geo regardless.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    you have a good base portfolio there, just need artworks to fill it up.

like Stockwell mentioned, just finish this knife, go to MOAR GEO thread and learn some proper sub-D . Chose a more interest design, I think this is important because with just a knife with good shape, nice texture, it'll show people that you have skills more than a complex sci-fi rifle totally look like crap. you have advantage on this, your portfolio - your choice. just make something simple but nice looking, and then move on
  • Proxywars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stockwell Not going to lie stockwell that is a really good illustration, really challenging with two edges to consider but I love it. It's taking a lot of time but I think it's worth it.
    @slosh Totally agree I need to make some serious modifications.
    @Nam.Nguyen Exactly.