Home Technical Talk

3ds max unwrapping a weird cylinder object struggles

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
Sorry if this has been covered before, but after extensive struggling with unwrapping this piece, I'm just not able to get it right. The object is the "coil" insulator part of a power line configuration I think it is called. Anyhow, the piece will be far enough from the player to never really be an issue, but I just don't want to leave it as is because I'll never learn like that. The screen grab you see now was a pelt map operation, and edge straightening techniques.

Any pros have some tips for me on how to do a piece like this? Should I maybe just do a lathe and generate uv's that way??

Thanks for any help.

wP9nChkh.png

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    This was talked about fairly recently. I found the thread by searching for "cylinder unwrap"
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134749
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 13
    Two options:

Option 1:
    Straighten everything, if you use UVLayout then press Shift + R to do this automatically.

Option 2:
    Make a vertical cut/seam on the edge of each ring and seperate the planar parts. You'll end up with more UV islands but the results will be cleaner, provided you don't need to create any specific details.
  • spectre1130
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys. In the end I just flattened it, and straightened out the edges better than I had them and it looks fine as it is seen from a distance. Thank you cookedpeanut for the advice. I think I had thought of that too but I didn't get back on here yesterday as I was strapped for time, and the thread wasn't getting much love so I just did my best. I'll be sure to try that out on the nest piece I have a problem with-which will be soon I'm sure. Why is it that cylinder shapes are just such a bitch sometimes???