Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vector 3D Model

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
Hello, I'm a 15 year old looking to have better skills. I'm also new to polycount. So I guess this is where I will start. Feedback on my flaws would be great.

My portfolio: http://xero3d.com/

1.png

2.png

5.png

7.png

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    At 15 and producing work to this standard, I can promise you; continue down this road and you'll have a bright future in industry ;)
  • Xero3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    At 15 and producing work to this standard, I can promise you; continue down this road and you'll have a bright future in industry ;)

Thank you :D
  • Adrian Pieroni
    I remember when I was 15. I was terrified of girls and played Halo 2 24/7.

Seeing what the people who start really early produce is always interesting.
  • Xero3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    I remember when I was 15. I was terrified of girls and played Halo 2 24/7.

Seeing what the people who start really early produce is always interesting.

Wow lol .. seemed rough. I just got over my fear of girls. :)
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Damn I seriously got to cut my slack, I seriously wish I started 3D earlier, 17 with nothing to show for my 1 1/2 years of modelling. seriously keep it up.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Neat stuff :) Can we see more of this gun? Perhaps we could give better feedback seeing it from the sides or the back. Could we take a look at the textures as well?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You should definitely include details in the presentation as well. Such as polycount and texture maps (size and type)
  • Xero3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    PyrZern wrote: »
    You should definitely include details in the presentation as well. Such as polycount and texture maps (size and type)

Poly count: 9k(everything) .. The holographic sight itself was high poly so without it, everything would be 5k

Map sizes: 2048x2048
  • Xero3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    fonfa wrote: »
    Neat stuff :) Can we see more of this gun? Perhaps we could give better feedback seeing it from the sides or the back. Could we take a look at the textures as well?

utpdLF1.png

I will post more views tomorrow, stay updated.
  • Xero3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    Damn I seriously got to cut my slack, I seriously wish I started 3D earlier, 17 with nothing to show for my 1 1/2 years of modelling. seriously keep it up.

Thx man
  • Xero3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    Here are some closer views of the holographic sight and the silencer...

4.png

8.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot7.png

screenshot8.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Xero3D wrote: »
    Poly count: 9k(everything) .. The holographic sight itself was high poly so without it, everything would be 5k

Map sizes: 2048x2048

Best to include that onto the screenshots on your website :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While modern engines can handle a 9k weapon, you should still work to optimize things. I'd estimate that you could probably cut it down to 6k without losing any quality. The sight has several obvious major optimizations - you have close to 100 polygons on each side of the transparent part, most of which aren't contributing anything to the silhouette. The main sides of the sight are broken into 3 vertical segments, when they really only need a single vertical segment in each section other than the bottom one. The various cylindrical pieces - barrels, knobs, etc. - each have the same number of sides (32?) regardless of their size, importance, or (most importantly) distance from the camera.

Keep in mind that when you are creating a weapon for a game, not all parts will have the same importance. The scope will be the closest thing to the player when he's aiming, so it should have the highest level of detail. Unless it's being aimed directly at the player, the muzzle will be quite far from the player, so it can have a lower level of detail. The grips, magazine, and other mid-weapon details will almost never be close to the camera, and will often be covered by the character's hands, so they should have the lowest level of detail.

As a simple test, make a copy of your weapon and run it through your tool's (3ds Max or Maya) automated optimizer with a setting of ~50%, then import both into a game engine.
  • Xero3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    DWalker wrote: »
    While modern engines can handle a 9k weapon, you should still work to optimize things. I'd estimate that you could probably cut it down to 6k without losing any quality. The sight has several obvious major optimizations - you have close to 100 polygons on each side of the transparent part, most of which aren't contributing anything to the silhouette. The main sides of the sight are broken into 3 vertical segments, when they really only need a single vertical segment in each section other than the bottom one. The various cylindrical pieces - barrels, knobs, etc. - each have the same number of sides (32?) regardless of their size, importance, or (most importantly) distance from the camera.

Keep in mind that when you are creating a weapon for a game, not all parts will have the same importance. The scope will be the closest thing to the player when he's aiming, so it should have the highest level of detail. Unless it's being aimed directly at the player, the muzzle will be quite far from the player, so it can have a lower level of detail. The grips, magazine, and other mid-weapon details will almost never be close to the camera, and will often be covered by the character's hands, so they should have the lowest level of detail.

As a simple test, make a copy of your weapon and run it through your tool's (3ds Max or Maya) automated optimizer with a setting of ~50%, then import both into a game engine.

OK, I will do that then post more screenshots
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    This image comes up almost every time for things like this but it's quite fitting. Edges are sharp on your model.

NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_edge_thickness.jpg
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    The biggest crit i have is the scratches on the gun. most noticably on the upper receiver but they seem to be pretty much everywhere on edges. Its quite apparent that youve done only one or two passes with a single brush, which makes the scratches look even and "made up".

If you dont put enough time in it itll just look like someone went to work on it with a key instead of being the result of years of use.

also keep in mind that reflective metal (such as scratched) has a diffuse color (albedo) thats very dark. I usually go with a slightly darker and desaturated version of the non-scratched surface.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Yeah, what looks more obvious to me are the scratches.
    The way I handle them is - I make two layers in photoshop, one of them being the paint and other the underlying metal, and mask off the paint in spots using a layer mask.

I usually go for a square brush with a bit of scattering in photoshop, so it makes it look like the paint is flaking off. If you check my ak47 in my portfolio (link in sig) you'll see how I handle it.
    Actual scratches as if the gun scraped into concrete or something would be better with some photo overlays.

If you do this trick - http://tolas.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/tutorial-how-to-equalize-textures-in-photoshop/ - with some scratched metal photos from cg textures you'll end up with some good overlays.

Hope it helps!