Home General Discussion

New Game Artist but with $0 in the bank?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
The past few months have been pretty weird for me. I've gone through bouts of not producing new game art to put in my portfolio. I blame this on lack of motivation, many sleepless nights of following tutorials, over ambition, and other stuff that goes on in my life.

Now I'm slowly waking up and getting back on track to become an environment artist.

One thing has been on my mind though and it's the issue of money. I've been applying to those simple jobs like Mcdonalds, Wal-Mart etc for years hoping to even get a spot like dishwasher but still have no success. As a result, I've been pretty poor even to this day.

As I plan ahead, will this hurt my future of getting into the game industry?

With no money, how am I suppose to survive working for a game studio? There are no studios in my city so I'm pretty much forced to apply out of the area.

This brings up problems like transportation and relocation. Neither of which I can sustain.

Has anybody been in this situation before or know anyone else who has? Was their a glimmer of hope or was the process as hard as hell makes it to be?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You definitely need to have a stable living condition and a bit of extra money in order to work on your portfolio and land a game art job, try to find a family member or friend that can help you get on your feet.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Lack of motivation is just lack of discipline. The worse thing you can do is make excuses. "Oh I can't practice because I don't have a job" "Oh I can't get a job because of blah"
    If you've been applying for years at these "simple jobs" and not been hired, I DOUBT you're applying yourself. Walk in with a resume, Talk to the manager. You live in a city, Ride a bike, Walk, don't make excuses because of your own laziness. If you're able to live for years with $0 in your bank, you obviously have it easier than others. If you've been at this for years, you should be pretty far along, but have you just been making excuses and saying game art is what you want to do? Are you SURE you are up to it? Game art requires extremely self motivated individuals. Its a hard industry, and extremely competitive. Heck I am not even sure if I am right for it, but I love what I do.

Yes I have and am In your situation. Heck maybe even worse. I just spent the past four years to muster up $1,000 to buy a quality pc. The rest went into my family, Whom lost quite a freaking lot during the recession. So if you were sitting on your ass during all that, count yourself lucky. I've been working 30+ hours a week since I was 15.

Game studios pay you, so you don't need money to work for one. If you make it, take a loan out for a plane ticket. Pay it back after your first paycheck.

I don't know, but I probably gave you too much attention with this post. It just sounds like you want pity, and it almost infuriates me to reply -.-
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    All the jobs my family members have are literally out of my reach.

My mother is a nurse so I'm not qualified to work in the health sector.
    My father works for a company that requires extreme physical strength.
    My brother works outside of city (really far away) and does some job that involves computers.

I don't know anyone else who has a job in my city and I qualify for. It's definitely a situation not heard by many.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Mr.Moose wrote: »
    Lack of motivation is just lack of discipline. The worse thing you can do is make excuses. "Oh I can't practice because I don't have a job" "Oh I can't get a job because of blah"
    If you've been applying for years at these "simple jobs" and not been hired, I DOUBT you're applying yourself. Walk in with a resume, Talk to the manager. You live in a city, Ride a bike, Walk, don't make excuses because of your own laziness. If you're able to live for years with $0 in your bank, you obviously have it easier than others. If you've been at this for years, you should be pretty far along, but have you just been making excuses and saying game art is what you want to do? Are you SURE you are up to it? Game art requires extremely self motivated individuals. Its a hard industry, and extremely competitive. Heck I am not even sure if I am right for it, but I love what I do.
    I'm alive, sure, but I've been struggling day to day now.
    I can't ride a bike to all these places because they're actually far. Luckily, I have used public bus to apply instead but that too, cost money. And there's no guarantee of getting hired but I still try and try.

Your question about game art. It's not that I'm up for it, it's the only thing I can do. I've put too many years into learning game art, it's impossible to back out. And I don't want to back out, because I want to make game art some day. :)

Mr.Moose wrote:
    Yes I have and am In your situation. Heck maybe even worse. I just spent the past four years to muster up $1,000 to buy a quality pc. The rest went into my family, Whom lost quite a freaking lot during the recession. So if you were sitting on your ass during all that, count yourself lucky. I've been working 30+ hours a week since I was 15.
    Well I'm 20 and I've been eager to get a job since I've was 16. I've had no shot despite attending every job fair I could while balancing school.
    Mr.Moose wrote:
    Game studios pay you, so you don't need money to work for one. If you make it, take a loan out for a plane ticket. Pay it back after your first paycheck.

I don't know, but I probably gave you too much attention with this post. It just sounds like you want pity, and it almost infuriates me to reply -.-
    You can pity me or not, but I'll ask you this.

Would a lazy person create a thread on polycount asking how he or she can advance himself into the game industry?

I think a lazy person wouldn't even consider the game industry. They wouldn't want to make a portfolio or learn all the new tools needed to make games. They would just give up because it's too hard.

I represent the opposite. My thread isn't about pity, it's about how can I work harder to survive in the industry.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make environment
    Add to portfolio
    Sell online
    Accept critique from customers
    Apply critiques to your next environment
    Repeat repeat repeat

This will build a portfolio and bring in some money.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You should try and find a book called 'The Dip' by Seth Godin and read it. It's short and I think it will help you on multiple levels. You don't have to buy it. See if it's available at your local bookstore. Find it, sit down, and read it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Dip-Little-Teaches-Stick/dp/1591841666"]The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick): Seth Godin: 9781591841661: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

On top of that, hang in there! Keep on applying to jobs. And keep on improving and producing artwork DAILY!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    How are you currently supporting yourself financially? Can you move in with your parents for a short while?

You'll gain a lot of motivation once you start to convince yourself that you can actually do things, RyanB gave great advice, make an environment or assets for your portfolio, then list them up on Turbosquid, the Unity Asset Store, and any other major sites that allow you to sell your work. Chances are, if you made some high quality assets (or a high quality pack of assets, which usually sell better I think) then you can see some money coming in from that, and not only will that give you a supply of funds to live with, but it will boost your motivation by a lot.

Another thing to always remember is...NEVER have an unproductive day. I'm not saying you have to work 16 hours every day, but try to spend a little bit of time each day, even if it's only 20 minutes, working towards your goal of being an environmental artist. The thing is, when you sit around and do nothing, you'll start getting angry at yourself and will think "I hate myself, why the hell didn't I do anything today? I'll never be successful." If you spend even a little bit of time making art, then your attitude will change, and instead of hating on yourself, you'll be more positive and that is what will ultimately drive you to success I think.

You should also truly forgive yourself if you have been hating on yourself in the past. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has unproductive days, everybody fucks up their dream sometimes, you have to get over it and keep your eyes on your ultimate goals. Finally, if you aren't in a good health condition, I would suggest trying to exercise a little bit each day as well. Exercise, as boring as it may be to some people, has a huge positive effect on your attitude and if you are in good shape you will probably also feel more energetic.

I would also suggest getting yourself into a nice daily routine, good luck!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    NegevPro wrote:
    How are you currently supporting yourself financially? Can you move in with your parents for a short while?
    I'm with my parents right now. But they have it hard as it is right now.
    Even when I was in school, I almost never asked money from time. I tried surviving with whatever lunch money and bus fare I got.

NegevPro wrote:
    You'll gain a lot of motivation once you start to convince yourself that you can actually do things, RyanB gave great advice, make an environment or assets for your portfolio, then list them up on Turbosquid, the Unity Asset Store, and any other major sites that allow you to sell your work. Chances are, if you made some high quality assets (or a high quality pack of assets, which usually sell better I think) then you can see some money coming in from that, and not only will that give you a supply of funds to live with, but it will boost your motivation by a lot.

My 3DS Max is a student license so I can't sell any models. The only other program I got is Wings3D but the whole reason I chose 3DSMax was because it's better for my future.

NegevPro wrote:
    Another thing to always remember is...NEVER have an unproductive day. I'm not saying you have to work 16 hours every day, but try to spend a little bit of time each day, even if it's only 20 minutes, working towards your goal of being an environmental artist. The thing is, when you sit around and do nothing, you'll start getting angry at yourself and will think "I hate myself, why the hell didn't I do anything today? I'll never be successful." If you spend even a little bit of time making art, then your attitude will change, and instead of hating on yourself, you'll be more positive and that is what will ultimately drive you to success I think.
    I agree. Every day now, I'm doing a lot more drawing and trying to transition back to 3D.

My problem I had before was I was making 3D models and wasn't satisfied with the direction I was going. I'm trying to reboot that now.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    JordanN wrote: »
    I've been applying to those simple jobs like Mcdonalds, Wal-Mart etc for years hoping to even get a spot like dishwasher but still have no success. As a result, I've been pretty poor even to this day.

Move west. McDonalds Canada and Tim Horton's are on notice for treating their foreign temp workers as slaves, so now they're pressured to hire more domestic workers. I'm not exaggerating, CBC's got all the dirt.

But if you actually go I recommend something better by working graveyard shifts at a warehouse. Pay's up $15/hr. for unskilled people. I know one where you got paid EVERY FRIDAY, but I'm saving that info for a graphic novel idea I have.

On night shifts you can work on your portfolio during the day.

And if you really want big money (legally), go to Fort Mc. Some lady got killed by a bear at a work site recently but that's one risk you'll have to face to earn big bucks. You earn big and can work on your portfolio on your weeks off.

If you're a girl don't worry, if pro cartoonist Kate Beaton survived working at Fort Mc to help pay off her student loans you can too!

Good luck!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    It's not that I'm up for it, it's the only thing I can do.
    If you can breathe and have two hands, you can do all kinds of manual labor stuff. Get a night/swing shift, get money in the bank. Do CG when you get home.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Yeah, I saw an ad in the newspaper looking for food packers at some plant. Going to try it.

When I show up for a job interview and they ask me "what do you want to do in the future?" and I tell them "make art for video games" the employers freak out.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    your better off then those of us who went to school, i have -60,000 in the bank lol
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You have to bullshit in interviews with questions like that, tell them what they want to hear. Like "I want to work hard, advance in my job, and maybe save some money to go to college" or whatever you want to say.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    You can make it sound cooler than that :P. "I would like to create assets for the entertainment industry!" But yah ZacD is right, Bullshit for those menial jobs. I mean that's how everyone gets those jobs isn't it?

Also once you get to the level of creating high quality assets you could drop a loan for 3ds max or just use a free program and sell assets on Turbosquid (or what have you) then. Hell you can just start stock piling the high quality work you have from now on and then you can list all your assets on the same day.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    on the subject of motivation if having no money, and no job doesn't motivate you what will?

Say you got one of these jobs, which I have done in the past, do you know how much harder it's going to be when you are tired from work?.

if you are serious about what you want to do you need to get to the root of this motivation issue immediately, if you aren't comfortable enough with being broke to get cracking when do you think you will be.
    Would a lazy person create a thread on polycount asking how he or she can advance himself into the game industry?

I think a lazy person wouldn't even consider the game industry. They wouldn't want to make a portfolio or learn all the new tools needed to make games. They would just give up because it's too hard.
    People dream and have weird delusions often coming from the ego,, wanting to do something and doing something is not the same.

Every Time you are not motivated thats a form of giving up, procrastination is a form of surrender, you can't go around telling people you are going to be a champion weight lifter and tell people you are willing to put in the work lift weights every day but tomorrow comes round and you say I just can't get motivated, or my arm hurts, its not a good day for me, i'm not in the right place, I will do it tomorrow.
  • nukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    hey man, i don't want to more of a downer, but there's a lot of "starvation" in the
    game industry also. so don't expect just getting in, and all the money problems will
    go away.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Have you tried simply walking around your local area, going to all the restaurants and asking if they need someone to wash dishes, small non-chain places are probably more willing to talk to you. Just dress smart and show up, and even offer to work a shift for free to show them what you can do this can be a valuable in. I did it, I learned a lot about how kitchens work and how things are organised, its been a useful skill, but they and I both knew this wasn't a career choice it was just an in between job, so they didn't care what I want to do in the future, they just wanted me to wash dishes. It was also an evening shift which meant I could work during the day on my projects and at night earn a wage.

I've picked up many small jobs like this, persistence and a positive attitude get you a long way, and you may even pick up some knowledge that will help you down the road.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    on the subject of motivation if having no money, and no job doesn't motivate you what will?

Say you got one of these jobs, which I have done in the past, do you know how much harder it's going to be when you are tired from work?.

if you are serious about what you want to do you need to get to the root of this motivation issue immediately, if you aren't comfortable enough with being broke to get cracking when do you think you will be.

People dream and have weird delusions often coming from the ego,, wanting to do something and doing something is not the same.

Every Time you are not motivated thats a form of giving up, procrastination is a form of surrender, you can't go around telling people you are going to be a champion weight lifter and tell people you are willing to put in the work lift weights every day but tomorrow comes round and you say I just can't get motivated, or my arm hurts, its not a good day for me, i'm not in the right place, I will do it tomorrow.
    I should mention when I'm not motivated, it doesn't mean I've "given up". Actually, I've been pretty smart with how I handled my down time.

I never forgot about game art. I went back to reading through the entire unreal engine 4 documentation or I did a lot of photography that I would add to my list of references.

I even did tons of drawings and 3D modeling to help evaluate where I might be feeling bored with at times.

I think my real problem is not even motivation but ambition. I had so many things planned I lost sight of what I should really be working on.
    MephistonX wrote: »
    Have you tried simply walking around your local area, going to all the restaurants and asking if they need someone to wash dishes, small non-chain places are probably more willing to talk to you. Just dress smart and show up, and even offer to work a shift for free to show them what you can do this can be a valuable in. I did it, I learned a lot about how kitchens work and how things are organised, its been a useful skill, but they and I both knew this wasn't a career choice it was just an in between job, so they didn't care what I want to do in the future, they just wanted me to wash dishes. It was also an evening shift which meant I could work during the day on my projects and at night earn a wage.

I've picked up many small jobs like this, persistence and a positive attitude get you a long way, and you may even pick up some knowledge that will help you down the road.
    I use to do that but not anymore. Too many times they just told me "we're not hiring". The whole situation looks more embarrassing when you're told "you're not getting a job" in front of other people.

It's also not just easy to walk to these places. Where I live, there's maybe 1 or 2 plazas I can walk to. Everything else would require getting a car or bus ride because it's an hour walk or more.

nukes wrote: »
    hey man, i don't want to more of a downer, but there's a lot of "starvation" in the
    game industry also. so don't expect just getting in, and all the money problems will
    go away.
    I can put up with starving. I wouldn't even mind going a day without food on the first job. My mind would be at peace knowing I'd finally get to do something I'm passionate about in a sheltered building.

But having no food and no job has no positives.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I also want to add there have been times where managers don't want my resume or flat out refuse it.

Just going to a store and handing them a resume isn't easy. Employers don't seem interested in hiring anyone new. Especially not people like me who never had a job. It's always "people with work experience" come first.
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    Before I broke in, I had no money and a very low houred part time job combined with overdraft and University debt. Never underestimate the depression and low self worth that can cause, I found that as soon as I got a job that my motivation for doing personal work went through the roof. Suddenly I had money, and felt like I was worth a damn; which made me less miserable, and in turn made doing personal work far easier.

That pit that you fall into when you don't have the comfort that you need, can cripple you. I had easily 5-6 days a week to do whatever I wanted in, and I barely did any work. It's awful.

I would say that whilst it 'should' be motivation enough for you to kick your own ass and do work. It really is the hardest thing to do. I look back now and feel like I wasted so much time I could have been working in. But I was very miserable. I would advise getting any job you can, because I bet you your motivation to create work will come back hard when you realise that that job isn't what you really want to be doing. :)
  • daisyrawks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I saw an ad in the newspaper looking for food packers at some plant. Going to try it.

When I show up for a job interview and they ask me "what do you want to do in the future?" and I tell them "make art for video games" the employers freak out.

Don't do that. What they hear when you say "make art for video games" is "I'm going to quit this job the instant something better comes along." The thing about interviews is they don't want the truth; they want you to tell them what they want to hear.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10

Yeah that's probably a bad idea.

Bingo^. If you're working on something, you should put it online. If you have a portfolio it should be in your sig, and if you don't then you really need to make one. It doesn't matter what quality it is. It can be free through Carbonmade or a similar service, or just a free Blogspot blog at worst.

If you can't apply in person, find a government funded job website, or even go on Craigslist/Kijiji if you have to and start looking for something. Apply online to everything they have. Apply for government assistance/social assistance/whatever it's called in your country/area.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    daisyrawks wrote: »
    Don't do that. What they hear when you say "make art for video games" is "I'm going to quit this job the instant something better comes along." The thing about interviews is they don't want the truth; they want you to tell them what they want to hear.
    But see, this isn't fair. All my life I was told to never lie. So how was I suppose to know telling the truth to lying, especially for a question of "do you have a future planned?".

And it's not like people haven't gotten in trouble for lying on a job application.
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/13/technology/yahoo-ceo-out/

Like a double edged sword.

JamesArk wrote:
    If you can't apply in person, find a government funded job website, or even go on Craigslist/Kijiji if you have to and start looking for something. Apply online to everything they have. Apply for government assistance/social assistance/whatever it's called in your country/area.
    I'm on kijiji/craigslist everyday. I've also gone to my city's website and only found like 3 jobs. Though I will check again to see if they added new ones.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    And it's not like people haven't gotten in trouble for lying on a job application.

Like a double edged sword.

When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.

He was an executive at paypal, then yahoo and is now CEO of shoprunner.

Not that I would recommend padding your CV, I would advise entirely against it, but when an employer asks such a question give him the answer he wants to hear.

Whoever told you society was honest and fair was a liar.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But see, this isn't fair. All my life I was told to never lie. So how was I suppose to know telling the truth to lying, especially for a question of "do you have a future planned?".

You're comparing the lie of a resume that lists a false degree of education as the CEO of a big name company to a burger flipping or equivalent job whos employer asks the routine question of "Where do you see yourself?"
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9

154282320_amazoncom-house---everybody-lies-vinyl-die-cut-decal-.jpg
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My 3DS Max is a student license so I can't sell any models. The only other program I got is Wings3D but the whole reason I chose 3DSMax was because it's better for my future.

Then use Blender.

You need to stop making excuses if you ever want to make money as an artist.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    RyanB wrote: »
    Then use Blender.

You need to stop making excuses if you ever want to make money as an artist.
    It's not that I'm making excuses, I'm just trying to take the path of least resistance.

I'm not even sure how sustainable selling models is. It's just like trying to sell regular art. There's already a billion of them, why would people pick mine (and I'm far from being the greatest artist right now)?

I rather put more effort in landing a permanent position at a studio or restaurant.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    honestly if you can't get a job at mcdonalds or walmart i'd swing for something a bit lower then gameart.
    its not all about skill, you have to be able to work with people too.
    so maby getting a normal job first, just to get a feel for what the corporate world is like, wouldn't be a bad idea.
    plus having money is nice too.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I find this scary since there's nothing else I can do. My parents would refuse to fund anything else so I'm stuck with either getting into games or working non-diploma/university degree jobs.

I would also be taking on sunk costs (art supplies and equipment = wasted). That would be hell to explain and only make the situation worse.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    This brings up problems like transportation and relocation. Neither of which I can sustain.

Transportation to on site interviews are expected to be paid by the studio, unless it's just down the street, so no need to worry about that. Larger studios will also provide relocation assistance, money they provide to help you move out to your new job.
  • andrecastel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andrecastel polycounter lvl 9
    My first reaction to this thread was Goeddy's avatar...

Is this real? I'm not sure if you're just being a troll. "Maybe he's a teenager" - I thought, but then you said you're 20. Again, seriously?
    Have you ever heard about "burning your boats"? You should try that as a motivation.
    It seems like you don't have to work for food, shelter or paying any bills. If you really say there are no jobs there, then move out. You won't find a job sitting in front of your computer at home.

I hope you're just being a troll.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seriously?
    Have you ever heard about "burning your boats"?

I had to google that, it seems to be a phrase used in the UK & Australia but not North America. The internet says our equivalent is "burning your bridges" but I don't think it means the same thing as we typically tell you not to burn your bridges over here.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Oh come on dude, don't be mean. I even said I wasn't looking for pity but I'm almost reconsidering...

Moving out isn't easy. Where am I going to go? Who's paying for it? What guarantees are there? All of this takes money but my bank account says $0.

This situation is real. Want me to show you all my emails I sent and received for jobs over the past 4 years and the responses I got?

I wish job hunting was easy. I wouldn't have had to make this thread expressing concern over it if it was the case.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    If you're living at home, why can't you just continue to live at home while working on your portfolio?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    focus on portfolio , if you are one of the artists that makes an art piece per year and whines that he isnt getting a job you get no sympathy from me.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're living with your folks then keep applying to whatever openings you can find and work on your portfolio. Right now your portfolio is full of school projects and two unfinished 3d models, you've got to wipe it clean and fill it with finished environment art. Getting out of the situation you're in should be the motivation you need.

You've got to set a goal, lets say about 10 months to get 5 or more good portfolio pieces. When you're done with that, take a break for Christmas and when the new year roles around take your job ready portfolio and find a job in the next 2-4 months.

This is an international forum, we've seen people who's entire country had no game industry who have gotten jobs halfway across the globe because they worked hard at it.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    JamesArk wrote: »
    If you're living at home, why can't you just continue to live at home while working on your portfolio?
    I am but it's not going to be solution for everything.
    I'll never be able to afford 3DS Max or Zbrush if I don't have a job. How am I suppose to remain competitive without that?

I've also said there are no game studios in my city. So even if I have a portfolio, my next plan is "ok, so how do I actually travel to a studio now"?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've also said there are no game studios in my city. So even if I have a portfolio, my next plan is "ok, so how do I actually travel to a studio now"?

The studio pays to fly you out, a plane ticket & hotel room are peanuts compared to the overall cost of hiring someone. Unless I'm mistaken Brampton is next to Toronto? This is an international forum so complaining about game jobs while living in Canada won't win you any sympathy.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    You live with your parents..So you don't have to pay rent...and I assume they are feeding you as well...So your only responsibility is creating your portfolio?

Job Hunting is easy, having a portfolio that will get you a job is the hard part

Worrying about having money to relocate is putting the cart before the horse

There are plenty of student softwares to learn...free softwares to use

You can't score a menial job because? Most of these places need a warm body to pull a lever, or stack a box. If no one will hire you for one of these jobs it's a symptom that your interview/application skills need work.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless I'm mistaken Brampton is next to Toronto?

Wait what, yeah! I think you're in a great location. Certainly wish I was there for Torn Banner :P. I think if you just keep pushing your skills you're future will be great and you're just making this situation worse than it is (which I think a number of us have all thought/done).
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Time to give that reality check.

So you've been searching without avail for the last 4 year's?

Lower your expectations and standards or simply put, you are doing it wrong.

Why havent you volunteered at all during that time? Why haven't you took on junior or apprentice roles? Why are you assuming that life is fair and all dandy and that you have every right to walk into that game dev job?

You need a slap to reality my good sir. I've crawled, clawed and in one case danced to just get where i am and that's not far. Not even in game dev. I've worked in the UK, 12 hour shifts, 5 days a week for minimum wage. From that hell hole i've gotten contacts and moved up a rung in the endless ladder of life. I've barely got a 3D portfolio these days since i started Web dev to pay the bills. I enjoy 3D more than web development but hell, i like eating.

Post your CV up and people can help. Read how to write cover letters. Read how to write CV's. Apply for agency work. Don't like the idea? Then stay where you are. You haven't committed to anything based on your previous post's and work.

I checked your portfolio out here: http://jordannelson2.weebly.com/ And on pressing advanced post, i've seen that justin has already pointed out you have 2 peices.

I'll save any more criticisms until you post your CV and to save repeating anything previously said.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The studio pays to fly you out, a plane ticket & hotel room are peanuts compared to the overall cost of hiring someone. Unless I'm mistaken Brampton is next to Toronto? This is an international forum so complaining about game jobs while living in Canada won't win you any sympathy.

It's not that complaining, I'm just really new to this stuff.

This is the first time I heard companies cover everything for new employees,especially on a usual basis.

When I asked my parents how they moved here and got jobs, they told me they had to pay for it so it was only logical I believe the same thing would apply to me.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is the first time I heard companies cover everything for new employees,especially on a usual basis.

When I asked my parents how they moved here and got jobs, they told me they had to pay for it so it was only logical I believe the same thing would apply to me.

Why havent you researched this is now the pressing question?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount will help you if you put in the work. I'll quote some sage advice given to me years ago when I was complaining on Polycount about not having a job: "stop being a crybaby and start being a trybaby"
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Why havent you researched this is now the pressing question?
    This thread (and my previous ones) is research.

Who am I going to ask about the game industry? Nobody in my family does it. Polycount is closest to having active developers post on a forum.

Googling doesn't always work. Look, I just checked Ubisoft Toronto's website and I don't see the "pay for your flight" listed anywhere. I would have to email them but I would never guess what to ask them before this thread.
  • daisyrawks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Your parents are a sample size of 2 and presumably not in the game art industry. That's not a logical conclusion at all.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    low odor wrote: »

You can't score a menial job because? Most of these places need a warm body to pull a lever, or stack a box. If no one will hire you for one of these jobs it's a symptom that your interview/application skills need work.

I'll tell you a secret.

I went to a Mcdonalds job fair back in February 2014. At the end of the interview, the manager told me "there are 100 people applying today".

This is not the first time it happened. Burger King was the same deal. And so was Tim Hortons.

I can't help it. You got a person with no work experience up against hundreds, I'm already at a disadvantage. Now imagine going to every job interview with this. What do you tell them?

"I'm really good at..."
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll tell you a secret, everyone here started out having no job experience either.

Seriously, if you put your nose to the grindstone and REALLY start working on getting a job & improving your portfolio, in a few years you're going to look back at this thread and wonder who this unmotivated person was. FYI this has been about an hour you could have been working on 3D - shit I actually have to be working on 3D so I'm heading out.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll tell you a secret.

I went to a Mcdonalds job fair back in February 2014. At the end of the interview, the manager told me "there are 100 people applying today".

This is not the first time it happened. Burger King was the same deal. And so was Tim Hortons.

I can't help it. You got a person with no work experience up against hundreds, I'm already at a disadvantage. Now imagine going to every job interview with this. What do you tell them?

"I'm really good at..."

Post your CV up please. Remove any personal/contact details if you want just post up the one you applied for a recent job with.