Home General Discussion

Games that inspired you to get into games development (all areas)

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    The Killzone 2 e3 2005 trailer got me interested in game development and I started thinking about it... years later (lol) I saw a tech video on Killzone 2 (in 2009 I believe) and I was sold and started environment art.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Pokemon
    Zelda
    Windwaker
    Kingdom Hearts
    Tales of Symphonia
    Phantasy Star Online
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Among many others...

This
    D2-1.jpg
    and this
    xcom-1994.jpg
    and this
    ogre-battle.jpg
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    As usual I was very impressed by Half Life firstly. And then Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Tactical Ops. In this period It was the first time I met with 'custom made' maps. Technically I stepped into the game dev environment by clicking the teal colored shortcut in the 'system' folder :) I was a kid and I didn't get serious about the stuff until ut2004, the custom maps by the community just blew my mind, even I was drawing map layouts to notebooks during classes at the school. Well I couldn't come up with any proper stuff unfortunately, just a bunch of bsp cuts. And then UT3 released and some guys started a mod project that targets to make a spiritual successor of the game 'Tactical Ops' in UnrealEngine3. I was just wow I mean too many exciting things at the same time and I could not miss it so I actually dived in modeling and game-art scene since then :P (the mod project never became successful, hehe but I gained a priceless experience from them) Pretty much 'Unreal Engine' related things got me in this scene.

151.jpg
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    Just had to represent this as well

Myth_-_The_Fallen_Lords.jpg
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    When I was looking through Unreal Tournament files and found this guy

maxresdefault.jpg
  • AdamE87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamE87 polycounter lvl 11
    First ever game I owned
    super+mario+world+5.gif

Then the following all were crucial in my path to getting in the industry :)
    Super_Metroid_title.png
    the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-virtual-console-20070226043617627-000.jpg
    metal-gear-solid-title.jpg
    gfs_50215_2_14.jpg
    pokemon_red_screen.jpgpokemon-silver-version-gbc-title-73670.png
    world_of_warcraft_050905.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    Silent Hill! I wanted to make that kind of game too so I started learning 3D...8 years ago :D
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Super-Mario-Bros-Screensaver_3.png
    had this from when I was like 4 started my love of platformers I can remember even being about 10 and talking about making platformers with my friends.
    then as I entered my teen years after mostly just playing CS in cybercafes I started modding two games, mostly graphically but in the case of Rome scripting as well.
    gtaiii_3.jpg
    Rome-Total-War-Alexander-PC.jpg

and a game that deserves a special mention for showing me what a RPG can be is fallout 2

b29fc3ab6227e59e162b7154528e8dba03625793_large.jpg
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Quake 2 through and through
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    A bunch of the major ones for me have been listed already (Doom, Q1/Q2, WC2,DeusEx, Hl1) but these ones haven't been mentioned yet and were pretty huge for me:
    dark-forces-03.jpg

indy2.gif

gfs_41478_2_2.jpg

And, this one, if anyone remembers it:
    faceball-2000-gb-4901.jpg
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Grew up gaming but the real door to development was Unreal, and later unreal 2003 It was really the first game I could take apart and look at individual assets. Figure out how the art really worked.
    5987_118399_small.jpg

that eventually led to a mod called Deathball where I made my the gun and some concepts. The user made content back then was really amazing. There was huge variety and popular levels\mods would spread around the internet like a virus. good times:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifP9vYFV7hE"]UT2004 - Deathball - YouTube[/ame]
  • Immanu'EL Segol
    Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, dishonored, Bioshock series and Red orchestra 2
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    This.
    chuckie_egg_BBC_MICRO.gif

and Repton 3. you could make your own levels and sprites.
    IBBC01.gif
    repton3ed.gif

then later QuakeED and UnrealED, and pretty much everything else you guys already posted.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Just a few come to mind~
    OCMzaE3.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Wow it seems as though there are many fellows inspired by
    "tough guy" and woodland games. Like I said in a previous thread, where did people get access to these ones at a young age? Wouldn't such titles detour people?

Since you posted your inspiration, I will post mine as usual, strange enough I originally wanted to be a sprite guy, but I ended up being a 3D fellow in the end some how.

Kirby Superstar
    kirby.jpg

Earthworm Jim
    SNES-Earthworm-Jim1.jpg

Mario rpg
    mario_rpg.png

Megaman 7
    25509-112513-58847747119frontjpg-46.jpg

Makai Kingdom
    makai-11.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I still have no idea what a woodland game is. Fantasy?
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    I still have no idea what a woodland game is. Fantasy?
    Exactly, in the woods, everything has a dull brown, green, or metal hue. Everything that looks cool has to be evil, and your allies are hairy dudes, fellows with huge noses, and elven pretty fellows that the fan girls swoon over.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Exactly, in the woods, everything has a dull brown, green, or metal hue. Everything that looks cool has to be evil, and your allies are hairy dudes, fellows with huge noses, and elven pretty fellows that the fan girls swoon over.
    Well to be fair, Makai Kingdom is basically the same type of game as Disgaea and much like Disgaea, it follows stereotypical anime character designs where men are always extremely charismatic and women are always unrealistically perfect. Is that really better than "woodland" character designs?

I don't see why people who like "tough guy" or "woodland" games have to be wrong in your eyes.

At least there's no meat in your post, so that's something!
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I am not sure, it seems as though whenever I voice my opinion, it turns into a giant argument.
    Might be because you are the first one in this thread to slag off the games that other people hold dear, once more irritatingly insisting on the use of your very own made up derogatory terms.
    I get it, someone in your past didn't like the games you liked and maybe gave you a hard time, but on this forum it's mainly you who constantly tries to devalue and demean other people's tastes and games. And if that wasn't enough you somehow always manage to insult the players as well in the end.

@topic:

For me it was probably Monkey Island 2 that planted the most important seed, though at that time it was completely out of the question to even consider to do something remotely related for a living. I dabbled a bit with BASIC back then, but real games where created far away, by big companies, and with the help of magic.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... People are different. And different culture also focus or ban different things.

When I was young I played the crap out of Dune 2. My friends at school ? "What, Dune, you mean Doom ? Doom is fun. I love it too." and I was like "No, not Doom. Dune. Dune 2." and then they go "WTH is Dune 2. Sequel of Doom ? Does it play the same?" And I just stopped talking about game with them and decided not to bring up Civ 1, Kyrandia 2 or King's Quest 6.... What's the point...
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate...
    Ever since I stumbled on the map/scenario editor
    0.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern: KYRANDIA! I was more partial to the first one, the animation of Kallack writing in his journal was pretty amazing for it's time especially compared to consoles.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaCkwjgBXDc"]The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One (1992, Westwood) [Intro] - YouTube[/ame]
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Still scary. :D

Loved hand of fate, especially the first part in the swamps. "Aren't you gone, yet?"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funny thing is, Adventure games are the least violent games in this thread. Instead of using violence like jumping on turtles to win you had to use your wits to get by... and sandwich potions.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not certain which games inspired to specifically to want to make them, there have been many of those... All I know for certain is that I messed around with actually creating for the first time with this one.
    151.jpg
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    the original flappy bird
    454d1065356627-flash-helicopter-game-helicopter.jpg
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Oh hell... so many games shaped why I knew I'd become a game developer. I suppose the most notable are:

Metroid:
    Easily the most influential game of my life. I played games before, atari, etc... but this is the game that made me a hardcore gamer. I've been chasing this dragon my whole life.
    metroid11.gif

Wolfenstein:
    I would go to work with my Mom, where she would sit me down infront of the office computer, and I would play Wolf for hours. This may not have been one to influence my want to become a developer, but this is one of the ones that sparked my passion for gaming.
    wolfenstein-3d.jpg

ARC:
    So many hours put into making custom tilesets, sprites, and levels. Some became quite popular. This was one of my first tastes of others enjoying/playing something I created.
    popcap_arc.jpg

Counter-Strike "1.6" (World Hammer):
    I played this for ~9 years. This was the game that taught me about level design, lighting, texture usage, resource management, and scripting. I was also beyond godly at CS.
    Counter-Strike_Box.jpg

Ratchet and Clank:
    By the time this game came around, I had already failed out of a comp sci major in a very poor attempt at becoming a programmer. I was working two jobs, living with 4 other people in a 3 bedroom apartment. I rented Ratchet and Clank and didn't put it down until I finished it. Literally, from start to end. I loved the game so much. This was the first game that I had played to offer up a "making of" upon completing it. I loved it so much that I watched all of the making of videos. This was the game that re-sparked my desire to become a developer and lit a fire under my ass to change my situation, ~12 years ago.
    RaCbox.jpg
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
  • JakeZetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JakeZetter polycounter lvl 7
    WARCRAFT III! more specifically the map editor inside it. It also taught me basic algebra thanks to the way variables worked.

Metroid prime got me into the whole idea of world crafting like few other games could
  • CN.Kitsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm the ones that made me take an interest in game devlopment itself have to be

Zelda
    Perfect dark
    Starfox
    Final fantasy
    Kingdom hearts
    Mario
    metroid
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9_mM9K6LFE"]Warcraft III Cinematics - YouTube[/ame]

This is the single most influential thing in my career. These cinematics made me want to be a cinematic animator.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin Meisse: Well, I started playing Kyrandia 2 before the 1st one. Besides, it was more of watching my brother play, cuz I was too young and my English was non-existent <_<"
  • danielc02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon-Freeman-holding-heart-gordon-freeman-25675652-865-1174.jpg

SourceSDK1.jpg
    Source SDK hammer editor was my life when I was about 14 :)

maxresdefault.jpg

And I cant forget this classic, I spent countless hours in the Age of Empires 2 editor when I was a kid, so much fun :)
  • sunshineinmyfries
    Metal Gear Solid...........!!!