Home General Discussion

$10/mo for Mudbox 2015

dongyfeng
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dongyfeng polycounter lvl 6
Just find Mudbox 2015 desktop subscription is $10/mo. Perpetual license is $495. I remember Mudbox used to be more expensive than ZBrush. Did Autodesk reduce the price recently?

Replies

• WarrenM
    $10 a month for Max would be AMAZING.
  • mats effect
    WarrenM wrote: »
    $10 a month for Max would be AMAZING.
    This
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    Max/Maya should be $75/mo. With 1 year subscription, Max/Maya costs $4300 and Mudbox costs $570. 4300/570*10 = $75. Same price as Unity Pro.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    dongyfeng wrote: »
    Max/Maya should be $75/mo. With subscription, Max/Maya costs $4300; Mudbox costs $570. 4300/570*10 = $75. Same price as Unity Pro.

the prices are still ludicrous, if they charged 3-500 dollars I would bet they would make more money, piracy is rather grim as we need people to pay so it can keep being developed but it does happen on maya/max on a large scale because the price is so high, its a barrier to a ton of students, freelancers, non first world countries.

where as something like Zbrush its pricing is far more reasonable, I do wonder if it has anything to do with comparative competition but I still maintain as I always have that charging more than a top or the line PC, a car, or in many countries 2 months or more of wages, for a piece of software is borderline lunacy for the individual.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    No matter how they try to spin it, they still lost customer trust (or at least, they sure lost my own ...) after charging $745 for mud2009, $375 for the 2010 upgrade and $375 for the 2012 upgrade again = $1495 total, and yet it *still* resulted in a bug-ridden and unstable piece of software. No magical 2015 subscription plan is going to alleviate that - I am not going to put any more money into Mudbox, even tho I still love it for sculpting.

(The irony of it all is that I was forced into one of these upgrades because at some point they accidentally removed a brush feature, but instead of patching it back in they waited for the next paid upgrade to fix it !)

Now if only they finally decided to offer free updates like Pixologic do, things would be wildly different...
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Mudbox died the day it was bought out.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    No matter how they try to spin it, they still lost customer trust (or at least, they sure lost my own ...) after charging $745 for mud2009, $375 for the 2010 upgrade and $375 for the 2012 upgrade again = $1495 total, and yet it *still* resulted in a bug-ridden and unstable piece of software. No magical 2015 subscription plan is going to alleviate that - I am not going to put any more money into Mudbox, even tho I still love it for sculpting.

(The irony of it all is that I was forced into one of these upgrades because at some point they accidentally removed a brush feature, but instead of patching it back in they waited for the next paid upgrade to fix it !)

Now if only they finally decided to offer free updates like Pixologic do, things would be wildly different...

thats my entire problem with the autodesk mindset, I had an entire day wasted last week because of a 3ds max export bug,I do wonder at what point can you sue the maker of a buggy piece of software for refusing to patch it and wasting your time, people have sued telemarketers for such things successfully.

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/innovation/articles/20100513/0053499408.shtml

The consumer protection law should be covering us, making these patches free so you get your software as advertised working at the time, but I am sure autodesk has an army of lawyers and the like so how fesible it is applying your rights is another matter entirely.

The only reason autodesk gets away with this is the minimal alternative, blender, modo, where as mudbox im sure the price is only kept as low as it is, is because of Zbrush and 3D coat being direct rivals instead of umbrella corp.
  • WarrenM
    I don't know the actual history on it, but removing a feature and then charging you to put it back sounds like it must be flirting with SOME danger line...
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe yeah right ? And even the Mudbox rep at GDC didn't know about it. I had to explain to him what the option did ... Yay, experts !

(This was the "update plane" tickbox of the flatten brush btw. Which at the time was unique to Mudbox - it was the only way to sculpt a perfectly flat surface with no lumpy artefacts)
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    . 4300/570*10 = $75. Same price as Unity Pro.

minimum 1 year subscription, UNity pro will still charge you even though you unsubscribe until it reach 1 year cap
    75$ x 12 = 900$
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    pior wrote: »
    ....Now if only they finally decided to offer free updates like Pixologic do, things would be wildly different...

They will NEVER, EVER follow Pixologic's strategy. NEVER. Reason?

They'll probably say that they wouldn't profit from it or some such BS.

What they need to do is knock 2000$ OFF the price tag of a single seat license, because as it stands, it's completely unreasonable.

I've got Zbrush and i'm not going back to Mudbox, tried the 2012 educational version for a while, but when i found out that i couldn't re-UV in mud, and i didn't have anything that used Ptex, so that was useless, and i couldn't create basic low res geo in mud like you can in Z, i left mudbox behind.

Now, if they followed Epic's example with this monthly subscription thing, and allowed us to continue using the software if the payments stopped, and just denied access to updates/upgrades, instead of locking out the software all together, then yes, i'd consider using the rental plans, but right now, i won't even touch the Maya LT plan at 45£ a month.
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    I own a ZBrush license and I love sculpting in it. But ZBrush is not good at texture painting. I was thinking of buying a 3dcoat license just for texture painting, but with this new $10/mo plan, I think I will give Mudbox a try.
    The only reason autodesk gets away with this is the minimal alternative, blender, modo,

I heard modo had stability issues worse than Max/Maya, but I don't see a lot of people blame Foundry/Luxology.
  • WarrenM
    Anecdotal. MODO has always been very stable for me...
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I own a ZBrush license and I love sculpting in it. But ZBrush is not good at texture painting....

This is true, but, i remember someone on the zbrush central forums saying that Pixo are, apparently, working on the texture pipeline for the next release, not sure if that's true.

Sadly, i'll still be giving mudbox a miss, even at $10/month, the fact that, if i have to stop the payments for what ever reason, i'd lose access to the software (which is why i refuse to use Creative Cloud), and that right there is a deal breaker.
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I own a ZBrush license and I love sculpting in it. But ZBrush is not good at texture painting. I was thinking of buying a 3dcoat license just for texture painting, but with this new $10/mo plan, I think I will give Mudbox a try.
    I was trying mudbox purely for texture painting. It was horrible, horrible experience. I've encountered around 5 bugs/glitches that made the software useless for texturing. I've switched to 3dcoat and never looked back - this thing works like magic.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Personally never had any problems with texturing in Mudbox, always seemed to work nicely.
    Anthony wrote: »
    This is true, but, i remember someone on the zbrush central forums saying that Pixo are, apparently, working on the texture pipeline for the next release, not sure if that's true.

I would love to see an update where the painting tools rivaled Mud or 3DC, not sure how they'd go about it but very interested to see :O
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Torch wrote: »
    Personally never had any problems with texturing in Mudbox, always seemed to work nicely.
    It is probably some hardware-related issue. Maybe it doesn't like certain graphical cards or something. Even on Polycount alone I've seen numerous posts with problems similar to mine. I wouldn't build a pipeline around such unreliable software tbh.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    if you are considering just a painter I think mudbox has personally had its day compared to substance painter and 3D coat, and I say that as someone who did love mudbox, when I couldn't get into Zbrush mudbox was my bridge, made me a better sculptor.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    A few years ago I tried to use mudbox for texturing at work and it seemed super buggy. Any color I went to paint showed up as turd brown. Blue? Turd brown. Skin tones? Turd brown. Pretty awful overall. I ended up using it for projection painting and even that the automated projection method was buggy and wouldn't work. I had to do projection via stencil. Used it for one project and pretty much never went back. Mainly use ZBrush now for sculpting needs and if I need to do some type of projection painting on low poly I actually use TexTools since it is free. After using mudbox, I genuinely have no desire to use it again, although I am sure that some people have use for it.
  • Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 9
    Muzz wrote: »
    ^ This
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Muzz wrote: »

This is so true :(
    Was a huge fan of the original Skymatter Mudbox, but ever since AD took over its just been one disappointing release after another.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    This is so true :(
    Was a huge fan of the original Skymatter Mudbox, but ever since AD took over its just been one disappointing release after another.

It's because they aren't innovating. That's why Zbrush is so awesome. New amazing features with every release (though they are missing a few things they really ought not be missing)
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    I've switched to 3dcoat and never looked back.

Forgot to said that new group layers at paint room for i/o to photoshop is great.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan wrote: »
    I've switched to 3dcoat and never looked back.

Forgot to said that new group layers at paint room for i/o to photoshop is great.

only recently got 3d coat am liking it so far any suggestions for tutorials and the like?

my workflow is going more towards max, xnormals, Zbrush when sculptings required and 3d coat (only been using it for topology so far but want to move into texture painting as apparently its quite powerful) im interested in learning all aspects though
  • Bellsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    Another thing to also note, is that together with the new desktop subscription plan for Mudbox, the perpetual license price has also changed as well, with a standalone seat now costing just a little over £500.
  • Klaudio2U
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    Mudbox should be integrated into Maya (and Max) and also offered as standalone version if someone want to use it and it's not Maya or Max user.
    These days apps have pretty decent sculpting and texture painting tools integrated (Modo, C4D...) and you want more advanced stuff you would go for apps like ZBrush, Mari...

And then there is Artisan stuff in Maya which is not even basic and they tend to advertise it (or used to) as something super awesome. Sure it was super amazing 10 years ago :P