Home Technical Talk

The future of Game Engines??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I am currently considering using game engines for architectural viz and cinematics and I intend to concentrate on using them rather than renderers like Vray,mental ray as I am of the opinion that in a matter of years game engine graphically will be almost close to what these renderers can achieve.The graphics of the next generation engines like UE4,Cryengine and Snowdrop already have graphic capabilities that look almost photorealistic.
I am thinking of going with Unreal engine 4 as I feel its the most popular of the game engines out there.Their $19 per month is a good deal but I am wondering if its fair that one should pay 5% royalties though they won't be requesting royalties for cinematics or videos rendered with the engine.I understand they are releasing the source code as well.
Cryengine on the other hand isn't asking for royalties with a lower subscription fee and the graphics looks really good.I can't say if its better tha UE4 at the moment due to it not being used that much.
Snowdrop engine-There isn't much info about it at the moment.I must say it looks breathtakingly good with the node based system and pbr rendering.
Unity-I am not even considering it.With UE and Cryengine's subscription.Unity isn't attractive or popular in archviz or mainstream games.Graphically it isn't on par with the others.

Replies