Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tactical AK 47 (first post to polcount woot!)

Darksaint
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Darksaint polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone, long time lurker here and now I figure its about time I start getting more involved with the community :). Here is the High Poly of an AK47 with several attachments that I've been working on for the past couple weeks. With this project I really wanted to figure out some of the materials for 3ds max so I spent a few days on those alone. All the texturing is procedural, using the uvw map modifier in max for the scratch masks. Anyway, feedback is greatly appreciated! I'll be adding the Low Poly WIP if people are interested.

hWDs8Xc.jpg

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Nice!
    Cant wait to see more :)
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    You're doing it completely wrong, you should be making a generic AK 47 like everyone else.

I'm kidding, this is looking really cool! keep it up
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    That looks awesome!

The main issue I see is with the textures, specifically "cloudy" effects. It seems like the Photoshop render clouds filter is being applied a bit carelessly in the spec. The part that sticks out the most is the mounting rails on the side of the reflex sight, the magazine. You did a much better job on the main receiver and silencer which are a bit more subtle and have a artisticly placed detailed areas of faded metal.

You should also try to avoid over-grunging the textures on the count of the amount of geometry details. Try to aim for a more cleaner approach to the textures as that will help compliment the details in the mesh a little more.

Looks great though. Keep going!
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Accuracy: Check
    Attention to Detail: Check
    Nice Materials: Check
    Beast: Check
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    this look great . is this low poly model ?
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    look really nice, a few more info would be great ( tris count wire, texture, . . . )
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Insane quality of work. Insane. Definitely one my favorite high poly's to roll around Polycount thus far. Like said above, the cloudiness in the procedural texture is a bit much, but not noticeable at first glance so it could definitely be passed off.

One other thing that kinda stood out is the placement of the flashlight. Yes it is next to the grip, but if you have ever held a Magpul AFG (the black grip on under side of the rail you are using, just in case) you know that your thumb usually extends pretty far forward with the angle and positioning of your arm coming off the gun. With the current placement, it would be completely in the way, and unable to be activated by comfortable thumb movement. I suggest moving it forward about 3 rungs of the rail, also to help lessen the suppressors impediment of light from the end of the flashlight.

But that is obviously just a nit picky thing and completely unrelated to the work, more so just presentation. If that is my only main critique... Then damn, you won the game in my book.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really awesome. The only thing which bothers me is the difference between the shoulder-part and the main body. The shoulder part looks really plastic and new, while the main body looks like a long time used AK.
    I think the shoulder-part need a few signs of "in use for some time" :)
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    this look great . is this low poly model ?

This is the High Poly using procedural texturing
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen wrote: »
    look really nice, a few more info would be great ( tris count wire, texture, . . . )

Since its the high poly the wires are a bit of a mess. I typically use edit poly modifiers as I do levels of detailing so my wires get pretty hectic, but preserve my base mesh. I can show them but they are ugly :poly124:. For my textures, are you asking to see the the 3ds max slate editor with the nodes expanded?
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: »
    You're doing it completely wrong, you should be making a generic AK 47 like everyone else.

I'm kidding, this is looking really cool! keep it up

For the brief few seconds as I read the beginning of your post you had me scared. But thanks, I'm glad its getting a good reception
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    looks sexy as all hell. my only comment is you have wear and tear everywhere that I can see, except... I don't see any on the handle. I could be wrong and not noticing it, but, the handle/grip looks to perfect in condition compared to the rest of the gun. no scratches.
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 wrote: »
    That looks awesome!

The main issue I see is with the textures, specifically "cloudy" effects. It seems like the Photoshop render clouds filter is being applied a bit carelessly in the spec. The part that sticks out the most is the mounting rails on the side of the reflex sight, the magazine. You did a much better job on the main receiver and silencer which are a bit more subtle and have a artisticly placed detailed areas of faded metal.

You should also try to avoid over-grunging the textures on the count of the amount of geometry details. Try to aim for a more cleaner approach to the textures as that will help compliment the details in the mesh a little more.

Looks great though. Keep going!

Ya this was my first time really trying to get my 3ds Max materials to look good so it was definitely a challenge. I can check my reflect values in those materials to see how much contrast there is and hopefully make it more subtle on the parts you mentioned.

I'd have to admit that a lot of lucky went into getting the silencer and receiver to turn out the way they did. I did spend time using vertex paint to mask out the areas for the scratches but it still boils down to chance when I click render.

I have quite a few more high poly models that I want to post over the next couple weeks. I'll see what I can do about making them look less grungy. Thanks for the advice!
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    Insane quality of work. Insane. Definitely one my favorite high poly's to roll around Polycount thus far. Like said above, the cloudiness in the procedural texture is a bit much, but not noticeable at first glance so it could definitely be passed off.

One other thing that kinda stood out is the placement of the flashlight. Yes it is next to the grip, but if you have ever held a Magpul AFG (the black grip on under side of the rail you are using, just in case) you know that your thumb usually extends pretty far forward with the angle and positioning of your arm coming off the gun. With the current placement, it would be completely in the way, and unable to be activated by comfortable thumb movement. I suggest moving it forward about 3 rungs of the rail, also to help lessen the suppressors impediment of light from the end of the flashlight.

But that is obviously just a nit picky thing and completely unrelated to the work, more so just presentation. If that is my only main critique... Then damn, you won the game in my book.

Wow thanks for the kind words :) I'm glad people are liking it. Although my main focus is weapon modeling I've never had the opportunity to get much personal experience with firearms, so attachment naming and placement is a bit foreign to me. I'll definitely keep that in mind though when the LP makes it into the game and the attachments are being setup.
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I finished the LP baking so I figured I'd share the results. Overall I'm quite happy with how it turned out, I had a few errors that quick PS touch up took care of. Each attachment, including the stock, is on its own UV sheet to meet the game's customization requirements.

The overall TRI count is 15,552 and here is the breakdown of each piece:
    AK Base Weapon: 7,581
    Stock: 2,329 (a bit high but not too bad)
    Flashlight: 2,272 (gave it more poly priority since its right in front on the camera)
    Angled Forgrip: 874
    Red Dot Sight: 1,092
    AK Mount Rail: 1,244
    Silencer: 160

http://i.imgur.com/uDMBmVs.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/SzjdjCr.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ZMD14D1.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/LVUIQEf.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/UffoXNp.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/rcbKLr7.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/fkG1NKc.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/UUf5yin.jpg
  • PhillipJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model it's self is great but the texture gets me. it's just my option but it reminds me of a school locker as far as the brown. Maybe another option for the texture could be re-done dosen't really have to still and great piece.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Dude I love it and I want one! awesome work man!
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    can you share the normal map please (with uvs)?