Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Deus Ex Corridor

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Got my hands on UE4 a little while back and started playing around with it as well as DDO + NDO. It's still very WIP, and it's based on a concept by Baron Tieri. Will keep this thread updated as I progress. :)

Any feedback and critisism is grealy appreciated!

I'm finally calling this scene done! Thank you all kindly for all your feedback and encouraging words. You've really helped keep me motivated and inspired throughout this project. Really, HUGELY appreciated!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjTQwZRUfb8"]Quixel Suite - Deus Ex Environment - YouTube[/ame]

Deus_Ex_01.jpg
Deus_Ex_02.jpg
Deus_Ex_03.jpg
Deus_Ex_04.jpg

Thanks again!

LATEST
wip13.jpg

Office_2.jpg

ORIGINAL
wip1.jpg

Cheers!

Replies

• Ignacio_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignacio_G polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet! This looks great. Material definition looks spot on to me. Is that bokeh lens flare a tad too much maybe? I feel like I'm going to start seeing that a lot in UE4 projects now.
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    that is default bokeh I believe, the looks good nevertheless!
  • Money
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Dem metalness. Subbed.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    when i first opened it up, i thought that was the concept piece you were referring to... so I scrolled down and realized it was the actual piece you are making lol. Its looks great right now. I'd definitely do something to get rid of the lens flare though. imo, it looks weird.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This looks dope as fuck.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I love you, but I hate you.

So good Wiktor! You make this stuff look too easy.
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great man!
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    There is so much bare metal... would be nice to see something else in there..

Some of the panels on the wall have little indents in the normal but it just looks like the wall is just stamp pressed for no reason what so ever... are they suppose to be panel breaks or electrical access panels?

Why is there a random orange bit on one of the pipes in the centre column?

There door looks like it has never opened...

The whole room looks like it has never been used as there is no scratches or dints where carts or any other equipment might have been transported.

the ground normal is very noisy and making it look like it might be wet.

Apart from those things and probably some others I have missed, material definition is spot on... usually is when using DDO especially the new one.

I like the design, and the normal work apart from the mentioned is awesome.

Also dat orange wall!
  • Sam_T
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam_T polycounter lvl 5
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Is this going to be part of a future Quixel Suite Breakdown per-chance?
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    would love a break down if you can make one
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Disting wrote: »
    wip1.jpg

I've got to be honest here, although the execution of this stuff is pretty solid, the actual content and concept here is very, very generic and safe.

Random meaningless numbering/markings? Check.
    Metal pipes in the walls? Check.
    Dirt/grime/wear to add "visual interest"? Check.
    Half chevron hazard markings? Check.

It kinda reminds me of HP and PhilipK's piece in the Polycount Showcase in the sense that it just screams "comfort zone". Not just in terms of the artist who made it, in terms of our industry as a whole.

(would be interested in seeing the concept btw!)

To paraphrase Adam's post in that thread ....
    adam wrote: »
    Solid game art, there is no questioning that.

It's familiar. We've seen this before in a sci-fi setting.

Metal pipes in the walls.

Metal panels on everything.

The separation and contrast in materials seems to be a contrast in metalic surfaces. There isn't a lot being offered here besides that, it feels like.

That is exactly how I feel about this. It's not bad, but it's nothing new.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch for all the kind words and the critisism guys! I really appreciate it. I will make sure to respond to them all ASAP, in the middle of a livestream, so can't type much atm. :)

If you want you can view it here: http://www.twitch.tv/disting_

Cheers!
  • EarthQuake
    Wiktor, plz teach me how to env art.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    awesome work and tunes wiktor :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What type of SciFi corridor is this? Is it a military? Is it new? What type of people would use this corridor? Is it supposed to be a clean corporate type, almost office building like hallway? Is it supposed to be a maintenance access corridor? Has anything happened to or on the ship/building? How would crew members interact with the ship/building? How advanced is the tech? Does there need to be access panels? Needs more narriative or story and reasoning.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work so far Wiktor. I don't really mind it being a corridor, it's looking good but there are a few things that jump out at me. It's REALLY shiny, if I were to walk down that corridor I would be blind or need sunglasses hah :P also the floor piece looks inconvenient and a tripping hazard, walking out that door and turning right would force me face first! could just be me though. Anyways, awesome work so far!
  • thepapercut
    Looks great. But as aaajohnny mentioned, I also think it's a bit too shiny.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I like the shine.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I like the shine.

I'm a big fan of the shine too.

I do agree with marks, though; this design is a little typical. The execution isn't typical, though. It's beautiful. But the design I've seen a hundred times, maybe less, maybe more.
  • Wildstyle
    Offline / Send Message
    Wildstyle polycounter lvl 6
    Great work so far!

Though I think the scene could benefit from pulling the material types a bit further apart. The wall & ceiling right now read as a sort of bare metal which makes all the elements in the scene blend together a bit.

Right now I feel every part of the shot is drawing my attention. Maybe going for a bit more matt-coated wall paneling or less shiny finish on some of the elements would help.

I tried to find the concept piece, it seems he did it the other way around most of the hallway is fairly matt finished, broken up with some shiny metal parts that pop nicely. (assuming I found the right one)

dx_bt_preprod04_by_barontieri-d49gc2r.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Wildstyle wrote: »
    Great work so far!

Though I think the scene could benefit from pulling the material types a bit further apart. The wall & ceiling right now read as a sort of bare metal which makes all the elements in the scene blend together a bit.

Right now I feel every part of the shot is drawing my attention. Maybe going for a bit more matt-coated wall paneling or less shiny finish on some of the elements would help.

I tried to find the concept piece, it seems he did it the other way around most of the hallway is fairly matt finished, broken up with some shiny metal parts that pop nicely. (assuming I found the right one)

dx_bt_preprod04_by_barontieri-d49gc2r.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more.
    Agree.. Also its feels strange seeing this bit of concept art in 3d as a single corridor. As far as I can see this is meant to server as concepts for modular pieces of interest that could be placed within a corridor and not serve as a single scene (note how none of the blocks match up with each other except for their basic volumes).
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    This looks great! From the sound of it it's up to you to personalize this area, although I don't recall these designs popping up in the game so it might be difficult to contextualize it. The clean surfaces tell me medical, while the thing in the middle reminds me of a giant blast door that would close in an emergency.

Critique: The concept art might be a bit bland, but I feel like the artist did an OK job at blending corners and avoiding sharp perpendicular angles, unlike your modular piece with the 04 on it when it meets the floor. Personally I would probably go with the orange bench from the bottom concept art just because it's the easiest solution..

edit: oops looks like you have already done that, silly me
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking great, but it bases heavily on the new SSR, and im not that sure how it would look without them, but the question is, if thats a justified question.
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Shrike wrote: »
    Looking great, but it bases heavily on the new SSR, and im not that sure how it would look without them, but the question is, if thats a justified question.

Not really, it should be fine. A large goal of UE4 on the high end is to be able to support reflections.

I'd say it looks solid, if a little like all the bloom from 2005-2006, where every artist found they could use it and went nuts with it just because they could.

This feels a little like "hey look there's proper reflections now, everything is chrome in the future!"

sb-129.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    I like this a lot. Proper execution.

My only sugestion would be to make some of the walls like in the concept. Like, this sort of beige painted metal. And leave the big door and other bits like you have now. The contrast would be quite cool I reckon.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch for all the feedback, crits and kind words! :D

Most of you are worried about the fact that most things are highly reflective, and I totally understand that - and I agree. Got kinda carried away by the shiny! I've made sure to tone it down on a lot of surfaces and made the general surfaces a bit more like in the concept.

@JoshVanZuylen: Thanks a bunch for all the crits and suggestions. Will definitely try and apply it!

@ZacD: I'll do my best to convey the setting and story from now on! Just wanted to get most of the modules modeled and baked with a quick texture pass on them before I moved on to that - but I agree, it's sorely needed!

@Wildstyle: Thanks a lot! I've adjusted the reflectance values quite a bit - hopefully it's better now.

@Bedrock: Good catch on the corners and how the pieces meet up! I've thought about making a couple more floor tiles that blend together better with the wall tiles. Cheers!

Here's the scene in its current state:

wip3.jpg

Thanks a bunch, again! :)
  • whw
    Have to say I prefer the darker floor of the original - the new one is perhaps catching too much of the bounced lighting.
  • Havoc89
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow... That is phenomenal!
  • riklopes
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes polycounter lvl 12
    looking sexy as always wiktor! keep it up, looking forward to some more streaming.
  • Codexus
    Offline / Send Message
    Codexus polycounter lvl 11
    The maintenance bots must be working hard to scrub that floor :D
  • MooseCommander
    Looks great - would love to see a detailed breakdown like the Apartment once it is finished.
  • Count Vader
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    Looks dope, that goes without saying.
    Are you using tiling textures for everything or is some of the stuff uniquely unwrapped?
  • Acid_Wire
    Goddamn.
    Metallic Sci-fi is sexy again. I saw some of the (recorded) stream - this is inspirational stuff.
    Only thing to crit would be the noticeable repeat of the scratches in the left of the shot.

Even so, saved to inspiration folder/quietly sobbing in awe.. I'm curious though - and this ties in to another thread in Tech Talk about speculars and PBR - how much guesswork and adjusting values is required versus picking "correct" values for one's textures?
    Looks great - would love to see a detailed breakdown like the Apartment once it is finished.

^ THIS
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks killer!

Tbh I'd love to see more material variation, right now it kind of looks like a tech demo for reflective metal surfaces :P The lighting could also use some more gradients/contrast (just like in the concept).
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    holy crap- I mean- holy awesome - sure beats out your old Corridor :)
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Codexus wrote: »
    The maintenance bots must be working hard to scrub that floor :D

I wanna lick it. :poly124:
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I like it overall, but I feel there is just way too much reflection on a lot of it - especially the floor. I tend to do the same at the moment, since ... well ... it's so damn shiny! But I feel if this would be a hallway that will see daily use, the chance that it will be that clean is very low.

Quite lovely aside from that little tidbit :)

Also, this scene needs a little cleaning bot with a distraught looking 'face' ;)
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments everyone :D

@Count Vader: Most things are unique and baked, and only a handful things are using tiled textures.

@Xaragoth: Yeah, I agree about the floor. Considering redoing it. Oh, and yeah.. I should definitely make a bot like that. I made a Dyson vacuum for now. ^^

Here's where I'm at now:

wip8.jpg

I will definitely consider making a detailed breakdown once I'm done. :)
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated previous post with updated image.
  • Count Vader
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks freaking awesome. Re: The tiling thing I think I got thrown off cause there's a texture detail that repeats in the foreground on the wall module with the 04 on it.
    Also feels way overcontrasted in comparison to the original, no?

Also, what are you doing for lighting? I'm trying to learn UE4 right now and have a feeling I'm missing some crucial steps getting my lighting to look as good as what I've been seeing in recent UE4 threads/pieces on here.
  • WarrenM
    Just wanted to say I LOVE the little power outlets near the bottoms of walls. Little things like that really help sell an environment.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Count Vader: Thank you so much! =D Oh, yeah I noticed that now as well - I actually think that is a lightmap problem. Been getting some strange baking results here and there.

@WarrenM: Thanks man! Glad someone noticed them. ^^

Worked a bit on my master material tonight and ended up adding some blends and switches. Pretty darn happy with how it turned out. This is a blended specular map. Will keep experimenting. :D

glossblend.jpg
  • Count Vader
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using emissive maps for the lighting or is it lit with default UE4 lights / etc
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    I love this thread... Just saying
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Are you using emissive maps for the lighting or is it lit with default UE4 lights / etc

They removed emissive affecting lightmass for UE4. Looks awesome Disting! Wonder if you used Halo 4 for any reference?
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah great work :D

These last three shots are georgous!
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Count Vader: No, I'm not. Like haiddasalami said they removed it from UE4 for performance reasons. It would've made it so much easier for me, though. ^^

So happy you guys like it! =D
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    i wanna see some flats! one offs and tileables! plleeaseeee :)