Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Jedi WIP - Critique requested

Hay Guys, This is my first post on here, so be gentle.. no actually lets take that back since i want honest opinions =D

im posting here mostly 'cause id love to hear some critique from you guys anyways.
So yeah- even though u can easily see that this is work in progress, pls feel free to leave me some critique, tips and hints.
especially about the foldings so far (even though im not done with it, id like to know if u feel its going in the right direction)

also id love to get some tips on how you guys create such wrappings as o the arms and feet.
I sculpted them by hand, and i was wondering if there was a better way since the topology seems to get rly funky with all those diagonal lines.

sooooo- since i kinda good hooked on StarWars (once again) i decided to realize this Illustration:
Jedi_by_StandAlone_Complex.jpg33bz37k.jpg

Replies

• DeepSpaceBanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    I think before you start working on the cloth you need to fully detail the forms of the anatomy. Your model doesn't have the different musculature defined as yet. I think you should just focus on anatomy first and then move on to the accessories.

here's a few things i've noticed

1.) Elbow joints need to be defined better

2.) in the side profile the arm looks too tubular, define the forms of the biceps etc

3.) Also the back part of the ankle looks weird in the side view

But overall i think you have a good project going, even i am still working to improve my anatomy skills.
  • Therazin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the fast reply, now that you point it out i see it too.
    Im still wondering about my problem with the wrappings though- so id be glad if someone could give me some advice about that
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    She has a much slimmer waist/torso in the concept.
    You might also want to give her arms the muscle tone she has before going further with the wrappings. Especially her shoulders, biceps, and elbows.
  • Therazin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the advice- now that u mention the waist ure right, il definitly fix these adressed issues before working on the cloth again- however im still looking for a nice workflow for creating these bandage like things as I seem to stumble upon those rather frequently and always struggle with em a bit
  • andreygheorghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andreygheorghe polycounter lvl 10
    I think the easiest way would be to create them in 3ds max,or whatever modeling program are you using.I would probably start with a spline,in that way you have more freedom.
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    Hi there! I'm answering to you here about the question you asked me about the wrappings on DeviantArt...why? because I'm to lazy to reopen the Da notes that I closed for mistake. XD

The bandages you saw on my "Shina the Leopard" model are all done by hand, no special tecnique or things like that at all, just a sketch with the buildup to define the flow of the bandages and then a fast refinement with the dam standard, orb cracks, and standard brushes. However it's good if you have a good hand in zbrush and don't get bored with tedious works.
    There is no "best way" to make wrappings that works for everything, it all depends on what you wanna do with the final model, if you want to have an highpoly for some poster or a lowpoly for games, if you want tight bandages or loosen ones.
    Here are some examples for some types of bandages:
    -Loosen thick bandages: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/183/c/6/goku___views_by_bruno_camara-d6bouh4.jpg --> from the amazing Bruno Camara, this involves making them with slines in 3ds max or maya and then a lot of bushin and pulling to make them wrap good and don't go through one to another, then apply the fabric pattern, ruin them a bit and you're done.
    -Cartoon style bandages: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/037/a/4/darksiders_ii_forge_sister_by_grayginther-d5u26hl.jpg --->this is all sculpting with a lot of masking and extrating but it will not look realistic at the end.
    -Semirealistic sculpted bandages: http://dantert.deviantart.com/#/art/Marvel-Bloody-Roar-Gray-turn-399229730?hf=1--> it works for printed figures or not realistic stuff..
    -...I don't know how to call this one, panel loops tecnique maybe?: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?178522-Mummy-Wraps-Bandages-Technique-with-SliceCurve-amp-Panel-Loops a tutorial for bandages nice and easy.
    However if you're going for a lowpoly character don't bother too much about realistic wrappings, go for the scupted ones maybe add 2 splines to make it pop out a bit more, but don't waste too much tome on that since it will not be seen too much in the final bake.
    Soo this is it, experiment some tecniques, find what suits you best :D Good luck!
    The model il coming out really good, but as the others said keep in check the anatomy before sculpting the clothes.

I ended up with opening a lot of pages anyway XD Hehe..
  • Therazin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for you reply, its rly helpful and i apreaciate it alot!
    and I rly dont mind you repling here, this way i dont always have to go through all the menus of DA when looking for the links in you reply, + maybe this way it'll actually be usefull for other ppl too!

thank you very much again, ill make sure to put your effort to good use