jacksterooney
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jacksterooney polycounter lvl 6
6MvEszQ.jpg

jkmr4ht.jpg

Ld0mDEV.jpg

PtIXBjE.jpg

After visiting the National Gallery in London about a week ago with a friend, I wanted to recreate one of the rooms using Unreal Engine 4.

Painting frames were sculpted in Zbrush, and the busts are made from the default DemoHead in Zbrush, and textured using dDo. 3ds Max was used for low-poly modelling, and Photoshop for texture work.

Obviously, none of the actual paintings were done by me, but they all can be found in the actual National Gallery if you ever get a chance to visit (though not conveniently in the same room like this).

Replies

• cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Looks really well done, I live near to the national gallery and I can happily say that, that looks spot on! Well done.
  • jacksterooney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! So do I, and I just wanted to post something here that wasn't either a fantasy or a sci-fi scene.

I might see if I can learn cinematics in UE4 today, and put together a short video of a fly-through.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Thanks! So do I, and I just wanted to post something here that wasn't either a fantasy or a sci-fi scene.

That was a good idea, I really like scenes that are not fantasy or sci-fi - especially places that I've never been to. Nice work. :thumbup:

Maybe it's just me, but are the picture frames really that bulky, or was that a design decision? Especially the one with the horse looks a bit odd to me (I'm a gallery noob, though ^^).
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Jack,

i like the gallery but I feel that the scene has a tad too much saturation and I think a bit of volumetric light would help a lot.

Also the materials could be tweaked a little, especially in the spec/glossiness department.

I hope this quick paintover helps to illustrate my point about the light and saturation:

gallery_paintover.jpg~original
  • jacksterooney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Skamander - Thanks, the frames generally are quite bulky, especially old fashioned ones. I'll include the picture I was basing this off below.

@Twister3 - I agree your paintover looks less busy, so I'll adjust it with a post process volume. Could you clarify what needs to be done spec/glossiness-wise? More or less, and on which materials?

2008_inside_the_National_Portrait_Gallery,_London.jpg
  • jacksterooney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the comparison though, the frames do seem a bit bulky. I'll set them further back in the wall for the video.
  • jacksterooney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, video has bee created and uploaded. I toned down the saturation of the scene with a post-process volume, and set all the frames back in the wall a bit to make them less bulky.

http://youtu.be/A01XB_YBTc0
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    What's bringing down the scene a lot for me is the overall quality of the painting frames. I would assume that you didn't reference actual frames from the gallery (or any gallery) and just improvised them in zbrush/mudbox. I suggest that you pick one or two, get some high res reference and just stick with it.
    Keep in mind the thickness of the frames as well; your current solution doesn't quite work considering that the frames are about an inch away from the walls in the photo you posted.
    Tor Frick has done some pretty nice frames, might want to check out his blog.
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man,

a couple of suggestions:

in your reference photo the floor seems a lot more glossy and reflect more of the environment. The base of the bust for example is visible almost in its entirety:

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/jahnhummel/PC_presentations/Other/reflectivity.jpg~original

The picture frames seem to have a lot more contrast between lit and unlit areas whereas your picture frames seem a lot duller, even in sunlight.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/jahnhummel/PC_presentations/Other/glossy.jpg~original

Since you seem to shoot for realism here I would suggest imbedding glass into the frames. In reality this is probably used as a way to protect the pictures against human groping attacks and/or sunlight.

Also I would add the little lamps on the floor seen in the reference. This is to add a bit of interest to the floor that currently is only a empty space.

I feel the postprocessing helped a lot. Keep it up!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a reason you aren't using the actual paintings? (Aside, of course, from museums' rather ridiculous claims to hold copyright on 500-year-old paintings...)