Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blacksmith Lodge: hand painted 3D scene

Replies

• Crowdsmurf
    Offline / Send Message
    Crowdsmurf polycounter lvl 10
    @Jacob: The scale is indeed completely off when it comes to the blacksmith vs the house. I noticed this way too late in my designs. Personally it doesn't really bother me because I'm quite a fan of the RTS look. Although I'll admit it wasn't on purpose.

@Arkana: I have absolutely no excuse for the clipping of the hammer, that's just lazy positioning :).

@Mr Smo and Gannon: the odd shadows are probably light baking artifacts, since I don't use any normal maps in this scene. Thanks for the environment color tip, will try and fix the heavy shadows!

@oxblood and Lotet: Thanks; made my day :).
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Nice scene! I'm really digging your grass texture, might you share the flat/texture so I can take a closer look at it? It looks like something I did try to archive before. Would love to put it into my inspiration folder!
    Those fir trees are lovely, too!
  • Crowdsmurf
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Fenyce,

Sure; here it is:

krOJ7C4.png

I use a lighter version as well, so i can meshpaint lighter spots in on the ground and break up the pattern a bit. Here's a tutorial on how to do that in UDK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4ZHVDuiKo
  • Crowdsmurf
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to stop working on this, but you guys gave some great feedback; so I made a few adjustments:

*increased evironment color and environment intensity to lighten the shadows and try to get some more color in the whole scene.
    *replaced the standard skybox with a custom made one with a deep blue sky and more stylized clouds
    *took care of the clipping hammer and adjusted the size of the blacksmith.

SfogP5l.jpgcNTTqyR.jpg7ucUgBr.jpgXiC99q4.jpg

Thanks again everyone for your input!
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    This is lovely, really like your style. :)
  • Crowdsmurf
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks AbKI; that's awesome to hear :).