Home Marmoset

How to center the pivot point in Marmoset Toolbag2?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Jack_051 polycounter lvl 3
Hello, this is probably going to sound stupid but is there a way to center the pivot point in Marmoset Toolbag 2 on my mesh? I use Maya to create my assets and made sure that the pivot point was centered and frozen so that all cords would be center but still when I export the mesh as an FBX or OBJ file it's center, this of course doesn't cause a problem if I simply want to do a still render but does become a problem if I want to do a turntable render. Please help.

thanks, Jack

Replies

• Pegbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    I believe there is no way to do this yet. You need to bring your objects into the center of world space before you export (ie. the centre of the grid).
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    This sounds obvious, but do you mean focus the camera on the mesh? If so I believe its 'Ctrl+F' when the object is selected.
  • Jack_051
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird wrote: »
    I believe there is no way to do this yet. You need to bring your objects into the center of world space before you export (ie. the centre of the grid).

Thanks, I'll try that next time I'm using it
  • EarthQuake
    Pegbird wrote: »

Yes, this is correct, we do not currently have a way to edit the pivot point in TB2.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Is it possible to duplicate a mesh in Marmoset Toolbag 2? I was assembling a room in Toolbag 2 but it involves a lot of symmetry and so being able to set up half of the room and duplicating/rotating the rest would save me a lot of time. I'm sure this is a pretty basic function I must have missed or something but I haven't actually used Toolbag 2 much.
  • EarthQuake
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Is it possible to duplicate a mesh in Marmoset Toolbag 2? I was assembling a room in Toolbag 2 but it involves a lot of symmetry and so being able to set up half of the room and duplicating/rotating the rest would save me a lot of time. I'm sure this is a pretty basic function I must have missed or something but I haven't actually used Toolbag 2 much.

Yes, ctrl+D.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yes, ctrl+D.
    Hmm, surprised I didn't try that sooner haha. Thanks man!
  • Jack_051
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tested this but it should work. Create a new empty group in Toolbag and parent your meshes to that group. The group pivot should default at the scene origin. You can also use this technique to create custom pivot locations if you need to. Create an empty group in Toolbag, manually move it to where you want the pivot, then parent the mesh to it.

Thanks! I'll give that a go
  • omar3d
    Offline / Send Message
    omar3d polycounter lvl 7
    I haven't tested this but it should work. Create a new empty group in Toolbag and parent your meshes to that group. The group pivot should default at the scene origin. You can also use this technique to create custom pivot locations if you need to. Create an empty group in Toolbag, manually move it to where you want the pivot, then parent the mesh to it.
    Brilliant! Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot!
  • les
    sorry could anyone explain me please how I can parent the meshes to the group - I haven't found any info how to do it anywhere( thank you
  • EarthQuake
    les said:
    sorry could anyone explain me please how I can parent the meshes to the group - I haven't found any info how to do it anywhere( thank you
    If you're using Toolbag 4 you can edit the the pivot by selecting the mesh and selecting the Translate tool. You'll see a checkbox for edit pivot mode and a center pivot button. You can press D while the Translate tool is active to toggle in and out of pivot editing mode too.