Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lantern Prop - Material Practice

Hi folks,

I've been working on another prop for some practice and I' thought I'd get some feedback on the materials as well as what you all thought was the correct polycount for a top level prop on current gen games?

I know this mesh could use some optimisation but I wondered if it were an important prop close to camera what should I aim for.

[IMG][/img]Lantern_02_zpsf0292406.jpg

[IMG][/img]Lantern_03_zps8df4afb8.jpg

[IMG][/img]Lantern_textures_zpsd54cd281.jpg

Cheers

-Phil

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Try to kill all your highlights and shadows/AO in your specular fresnel. The Albedo shouldn't have any AO either.. You could use some AO as a guide for the gloss, but be care full.

Start of by just blocking in all of your materials. You will have a much easier time tweaking and understanding what happens.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Beautiful peice! I am a student and specular maps/gloss maps are where i need a lot of work an this motivated me to try and work more on materials.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Continuing what sltrOlsson said, it doesn't look like you understand the PBR workflow. Check out these posts on Marmoset's website, as well as the reference links they post.
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
  • Imasho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER, sltrOlsson thanks for your crits it opened my eyes a little and I've still got much to read on this PBR workflow. I made some changes this morning to the maps, see if I'm heading in the right direction. It's a real wrench for me to leave the AO bake out and i think I've not quite got my head around the micro detail sheet yet. I'd love to invest in upgrading to Marmoset 2 as well.

Cheers GrungyStudios I'm glad I inspired such a positive reaction. Materials are something which i think i've neglected to learn more about and there so important keep at it and don't be afraid to show off what you've been doing.

[IMG][/img]Lantern_04_zps5962ca51.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Oh sorry I just assumed it was Marmoset 2, my mistake, and I think sltrOlsson made the same mistake as well. For Marmoset 1 you will want to bake in some AO into the diffuse and spec map to get the best results. For the diffuse make it a darker color, like a dark brown, around 50 out of 255 so the metal will start to look right. In marmoset 1, it is really important to set to the gloss value to 255, and the spec value to 1, and let your maps control those settings. Leave the gloss relatively free of details, just use it to define the different materials, and how sharp or blurry the reflection is. The spec map is where you will put all your detail like scratches, edge highlights, dirt/grime, and all that stuff. If you are making copper try to make the spec map a bright orange color and you will start to get the results you want I think. Hope that helps, and sorry about the confusion.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    With your current texture you could save a large amount of UV space.
    everything in red/red lines are all the exact same and could be mirrored/overlaid.
    aadc7a.jpg

Or make use of that texture space and push it further then just some basic (noise) overlays and start adding unique details.