Home General Discussion

Everquest Next reveal - Live in 20 mintues

Replies

• shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I really love all of their changes to core gameplay of what an MMO is about. It feels so dynamic and so interesting, like it would capture my attention for quite a long time!

I'm curious about the idea of the Player Studio for EQ Next, will you have to play the game to resource hunt in order to build anything? Or will you be able to just create with no limit to resource use/cost for building?

It could be very profitable in terms of royalty chaining if you dont have to hunt for resources in order to create things in the world. However, I'm not sure I would be able to sink the time into finding all those resources to make something worth buying by others.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    So... the Landmark alpha is out now, and as a bonus the NDA has been lifted and Smedly is now saying that devs from other game studios are able to play as well despite what the old EULA stated. Anyone else playing? Mining has a nice feel to how it chips away at the environment, and the building tools are making it hard for me to want to play Minecraft again.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    what sort of housing items and gear do they have? I wanted to try it out to get an idea of some items to make for the Landmark/EQ Next player studio shop.

edit: lulz turns out my SOE account was set to Trailblazer so I can check it out for myself
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Landmark is just amazing. I didn't realized how voxeles can change perception of grind until I spend 5 hours straight (!!!) just mining resoources.

I won't be able to play any other game that involve resource gathering, without using voxels. It just won't feel right, if I won't be able to dig into ground to exploit metal vein.

What can I say. My Desert Wizard's Keep awaits! (once I gather enough stone, and expand my claim :D)

@Justin.
    If you haven't checked yet, they aiming at fantasy setting right now, but in Landmark everything is permitted. If there will be possibility of selling custom props in Player Studio I would aim at other settings though. As there won't be much of modern/sci-fi stuff as first and I guess some people will be desperate to get them (;.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Sweet thread, anyone picking up EQ Landmark on Steam? Am probably going to get the Settler pack when I get home, like where they're going with the art style. Getting EQ1 Nostalgia :D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297810/
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I got a beta key a few days ago and I've been playing it a ton, it really is an incredible game. Anybody that likes world building at all should really pick this game up.

On a side note, I put my claim on the highest point of the tallest mountain on an island on the Rebellion server. It will take forever but I'm hoping to build a giant castle!

They also just set up the player studio for the game as well, so content creators can also make assets to sell in the game. It might be something to check out if you are into making handpainted assets.

Just keep in mind, there will be a server wipe at the end of the closed beta, supposedly. I believe you won't lose any of your designs or resources, but you will have to place a new claim somewhere meaning a spot you previously took may not necessarily be available to you after the wipe.
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I got a key for the 7 day beta thing. (sidenote: they pulled "EQ" off of "Landmark" for clarity.) I remember being really excited about the voxel tools and the building aspects, but as it stands gathering is super grindy and building a lot of shapes requires a lot of tedious work arounds.

This feeling might spawn from actually having experience in a competent 3D package. When playing I found myself thinking many times "I could pop open X program and do this so much faster with a lot less limitations and get better results.".

Visually it's pretty neat. Graphics set to High or Ultra will tank fps, but man does it look gorgeous despite the current barren funky looking landscapes. I get a lot of joy out of seeing what some people can do. They've found methods to produce very intricate details and convincing environments. I've seen sea side villas with loading cranes and ships made out of dragon bones.

But again, I don't see me participating much more in Landmark till I can build without grinding materials for hours. I'll probably be in and out a lot just to see progress because the idea still excites me.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    FullSynch wrote: »
    This feeling might spawn from actually having experience in a competent 3D package. When playing I found myself thinking many times "I could pop open X program and do this so much faster with a lot less limitations and get better results.".

Same here ! Thought it was only me. That's mostly the reason I went for a refund of Alpha Pre-order. Well, that and digging for mats.