Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Heroes of Dragon Age Art Dump

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
noah_bench polycounter lvl 5
Hey polycount,

I wanted to share some of the artwork I've done for Heroes of Dragon Age. It was a great experience getting to work with the world and art style that Bioware created. We couldn't have done what we did without the foundation laid by the artists in Edmonton.

This is just a small sample of the work that was done. The game has over 100 characters, each with 4 variations, and 20 or so battle arenas.

Hope you guys enjoy it.
model
model
model
model

heads1png

heads3png

Late in production I also got to jump on a few environments. My colleague, Joe Gomes, had already done a lot of the modeling and texturing. It was largely down to laying out the scenes, lighting them, and adjusting textures as needed.

cliff_arenapng

mountains1_arenapng

Replies

• AlexKola
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    I like that you shared these as sketchfabs, I wish more Art Dumps could do this.

What are the specs on the characters?

Also, did you guys use a terrain editor? The path looks very well defined and doesn't have that blurry faded look between materials that you see in a lot of games.
  • noah_bench
    Offline / Send Message
    noah_bench polycounter lvl 5
    The characters are anywhere from 2K-3.5K tris. Flemeth has the highest tri count in the game with roughly 4.5K. As you're seeing them, they have a 1024 texture, but we bring it down to 512 on device.

We're not using a terrain editor. One of the TAs wrote a simple shader that takes either a black and white or rgb image to blend between textures. Since our environments are pretty contained we can get some good resolution out of the blend masks.