Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sword Girl WiP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
K sorry for all those new threads guys, had to get the old work out of the way. now for something more current, that started yesterday morning. will be posting updates when i can.

Going to start back up tomorrow.

Original Concept by charochai.deviantart.com/
wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x443.swordgirlwip01_by_theartistictiger-d72m6kp.png

and here's the concept/turnaround/model sheet I'm using

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 900x636.character_sheet_for_sword_girl_by_mika_chai-d5dac5p.jpg
just modeling the same way i always do, start with a 4 sided cube and just add edge loops etc(since i haven't tried sculpting yet, idk when would it even be needed?, k just Give me all the hardore criticism you can please. thanks

Replies

• Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Littlenorwegians polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not an expert, let me just say, but I think just an ever so slight more "hourglass" form might help your 3d model The 2d drawing is good, but the hips are a tad obscured by the skirt in the 2d drawing. Perhaps chamfer/soften the thighs and legs a bit smoother, but as you start getting into high poly or subidivision I imagine you will smooth accordingly.

I'd say you're doing a good job. In my experience, if there are improvments to be made, it's kind of subtle and in a step-by-step procedure so keep at it and post as you move along. Polycount has like a sniper-scope, laser-vision with infrared if there's anything that could be improved, they will comment. :P

Keep at it and godspeed-
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not an expert, let me just say, but I think just an ever so slight more "hourglass" form might help your 3d model The 2d drawing is good, but the hips are a tad obscured by the skirt in the 2d drawing. Perhaps chamfer/soften the thighs and legs a bit smoother, but as you start getting into high poly or subidivision I imagine you will smooth accordingly.

I'd say you're doing a good job. In my experience, if there are improvments to be made, it's kind of subtle and in a step-by-step procedure so keep at it and post as you move along. Polycount has like a sniper-scope, laser-vision with infrared if there's anything that could be improved, they will comment. :P

Keep at it and godspeed-

K i can see the where the curve needs to be more prominent a little, like near the middle/top thigh, pull out just a tad... I don't plan on going high poly/subdiv i just push and pull,turning on lights to check silhouette ect..(Fact is :( i don't even know anything about high poly modeling or subdiv lol, well except that a lot of people use it and then remodel low poly or something from what i've read, when would i even use a sculpting program like zbrush/mudbox?) Thanks for pointing the hourglass shape out, will be fixing now.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    Is the Geo along the face (laugh lines) going to be an issue or just base-mesh before throwing it into zbrush?
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof Well I'm not sure if they'll be an issue or not to be honest, and i'm not really satisifed with the way the face is currently either(that ratchet topology lol) so i will probably remodel it from scratch after the clothes are finished. Never used Zbrush before, i dont even think I'm ready for sculpting software :P. so just sticking to Maya,HeadusUV and Photoshop for now.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k second update here, probably going to remodel the head since I'm not too happy with the topology.any tips? let me know please Thank you, and good night too ..tired to continue lol. the clothes are separate from the body, modeled them by duplicated faces from the body etc. not finish though. any tips for clothing will be appreciated as well.
    swordgirlwip02_by_theartistictiger-d72xd93.png
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far the model is looking pretty good. The forehead reaches a little high to me, and the breast seem to sit a bit high as well. The breast part could be thrown out though if she's wearing a pushup or really tight clothes. Keep at it!
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    the mesh is great for anime style keep at it
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thepapercut ahh k i can see they're too high from the sideview lol, gonna do some more tweaking, then continue the clothes, thanks.

jksl Thanks trying to keep that stylized look
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K the clothes are basically planes/single sided faces(extracted from the base body and modeled etc) now what i would like to know is will the backface culling cause a problem once i UVmap and texture? like will it show transparent/invisible like that once fully textured?
    backface_culling_issues_by_theartistictiger-d730q04.jpg
  • codyaq2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth
    It will show like it is in the right image, unless your shader allows double sided polys.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 thanks Oh and i just got finished redoing them so they aren't flat planes anymore plus no more backface culling. now what about hair? how is backface culling avoided with hair planes/strips?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    One thing I would do right away is to bring her feet much closer together like in a normal standing pose. In a production setting, whoever is doing the rigging would kill you if you sent a model with the feet spread and pointed inward.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto Lmao!,alright omw to do that now, thanks...oh and just checked out your folio, your Teddy roosevelt is my fav.

• ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K she's pretty much done, now just need to model the hair..but i don't really know how to tackle that , any tips? been racking my brain for a while now.
    swordgirlwip03_by_theartistictiger-d73dft6.jpg
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    When it comes to hair, it really depends on how realistic you want to go, In this case, probably not so realistic. If your goal is an extremely anime style, you're probably best of physically modelling the hair as a single volume.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't really get it:poly122:
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modeling everything else was pretty straight forward etc, but this hair(trying to match the concept) i just can't seem to visualize it in 3d like i do everything else.been all over the net checking refs/PC wiki/varga hair tut.. Just can't seem to get it to click.basically don't know what to do:poly127:, maybe the hair style is to complex for a beginner like me idk...can someone help me out, please and ty.
    d399c5cb172c67f8c72b8997b33e29b5.jpg
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    If you need to do hair there are many ways to do it: You could start with a sphere and use a deformation grid then boxmodel out, that would give you a very solid style of hair That i think would match the character well. If going for more natural hair you could poly model the entire thing outward. You could use a a lattice type thing like in the polycount wiki but i dont think that would match your character very well. Hair can be quite a challenge sometimes.
    Leon-Scott-Kennedy-leon-kennedy-3684051-225-258.jpg
    sc2__hots___nova2_by_phillgonzo-d5xjx8y.jpg
    Those are some decent examples