Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Andy Jones' New work

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wow this thread...

i remember talking to some Uni students when i went up to Derby, they were saying things like "i'm not good enough to post on polycount". i told them that was bullshit, anybody of any skill level is good enough to post on polycount.

but i did add to that statement, some of them may not be READY to post on polycount. unless you're ready to take criticism from anyone and everyone, day in day out, people who you consider to be better and people you consider to be worse than you... then you're not ready.

and i think that's what's happening here. you're not ready for this place. i think you've become accustomed to people either not saying anything, or heaping on praise, and when people offer you criticism in any form it doesn't go down well. regardless of Muzz's credentials (which are actually pretty solid), what matters is that his points are well articulated and extremely informative. i can't really fault anything he's put across, and personally i don't think he's been offensive or derogatory at all.

the point he's made about Andy and Alvordr is, in my opinion, completely accurate. as an outside observer here's how this thread looks:

andy posts art.
    people criticise that art.
    andy posts more art, doesn't respond to criticism except to shrug it off as "creative differences".
    people continue to criticise.
    people point out the lack of response compared to the continual posting of art.
    alvordr enters the thread, immediately creates a hostile environment in which everyone seems to be "bashing" andy.
    andy and alvordr start to circle jerk.

so, there it is... i (personal opinion!) don't think you're ready to be here. your art is good enough, but you're not an artist.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    well said. The art is indeed quite cool. But you must be more open to crits. To the point where you respond if someone has taken the time to 'help' you by giving feedback.

I really like the octopus dude, reminds me of the octodad game they showed during playstation's E3 indie segment.

All the best with your work. Awesome stuff! :)
  • Andyjonescreative
    Hey thanks Lankkus,

Everyone else can rest assured that all crits are read and very much appreciated. Sorry if i havent responded to each one. I will try to be better about that in the future. here is some works in progress.

stogi.jpg

armor_lady_pose_test.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    wow @alvordr

You are really bashing on muzz and his work now because he said something bad about your resume ? This is really low.

Also muzz's comments were not really that harsh at all about andys work.
    What I wrote was pretty cold and direct if I resume that, muzz packed
    that better in a nice comment.

Per example, I often write pretty direct or harsh stuff here on forums, but what you fail to see is that you often don't make yourself very popular with such critique, but it is for the best when it is direct and not softened up. Nobody gets help from "looks great" or something. If the work is great, then the artist 99% would know.
    Its never nice being the one bringing the bad news, you're always the bad guy. There is nothing arrogant about giving honest critique.

Then we have andy who seemed to be kind of ignoring feedback, and you come along saying like "wow forget these guys its all great" which is total against the greater good.

Also, Muzz looks like a competent artist to me, the things you linked are not bad in any way. Stop being in rage because he attacked one of your weak spots. He is right about your portfolio and you don't want to realize this it seems. It is not easy
    taking critisism, but keep in mind everyone did go through the same process.

The main reason to post here is to get critique or help others right ? Fishing for compliments is only a side thing.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me tell you a story Mr. Jones....rather, I dont have time for that. But the moral of the story is; I did the exact same thing your doing right now, on a very similar board, geared towards a very similar industry. I was young, I was confident in my work, and I burned all kinds of bridges to maintain my high and mighty view of my work, and blow off any critique as, "creative differences". That was almost eight years ago, and despite the knowledge that I was a child, the professionals who backed away from my arrogance, to this day, refuse to speak with me or give me any critique.

(on mobile, post got cut off).

Moral of the story? Be a dog, accept praise and change things when critiscized. Regardless of your ability, there will always be those more accomplished willing to help you learn and grow. I stopped going to my mother foe
  • Andyjonescreative
    any thoughts on the new piece? I tried to apply the crits on anatomy.
  • Andyjonescreative
    more fresh work from your favorite pariah

cyclpos_trooper.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know if it's even worth commenting here, but oh well.
    Please use better jpeg compression, the image is so blurry now I thought my screen where dirty.

The color palette looks good I like those sort of colors myself, also the dirt seems to be consistent.

I would choose another angle to render from hard to see the depth atm, and would be more interesting seeing more of the side.

You got a bunch of critics in the other posts might be smart to go over those.

Please do respond to people even if it's just a thanks, cause it's really frustrating to take the time to comment on something and not get any indication that the receive of the critic cared at all.

(Glad to see Muzz got the balls to be straight forward instead of sugar coating it, good job :))
  • Andyjonescreative
    right on stomberg thanks
  • Andyjonescreative
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sculpt some torsos, and some arms, and some legs, and some heads.

then start putting them together, i mean really do some in-depth studies of anatomy for each part of the body, there's just too much wrong in that last picture to cover it all...
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Andy!
    I love the fawn/man creature. It's pretty adorable. I think the grass might look better if it was moved to the left side of his mouth though? It looks like you were going for the look of him chewing it but right now it looks like it is stuck in his front teeth.
  • Andyjonescreative
    Good call thanks, Ill do that if i ever have time to do a personal project again.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I can see a lot of progress in your skill level via your work here. Love that octopus, great job man!

Its cool to see you keep posting and working on stuff here despite all the drama, lol. Being a guy that spends a lot of time on these forums (posting long detailed feedback and stuff) I can totally see why Muzz got annoyed when you didn't respond. Not that every comment warrants a response, but he did a paintover and stuff, so I felt his crit definitely did warrant some response. Anyway, I can see you making an effort now to respond more and I think that's really good of you. Personally, I can recall times when I first started out here, being incredibly pissed about a response, but had to just bite my tongue. In retrospect, the advice was correct btw. haha.

Anyway... Your 2d paintings/drawings you posted earlier are especially good imo. I would love to see more of that! Keep up the good work!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Could you post some wireframes of all of those?
  • Andyjonescreative
    The wireframes are not anything that would impress you, Im mostly using zbrush and zremesher.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    The Cephalopod is very cool, but I'm not a fan of the mech sketch, It looks a bit like a primitive shape with a ton of IMM brushes thrown at it, still congrats getting featured in a magazine.
  • Andyjonescreative
    yeah I wouldnt have choose that one myself but they did. Im not one to argue.
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
    Just some updates

spawn_painttestweb.jpg

spawn_painttestt_closeweb.jpg

batspawn_clay_comp_web.jpg

bug_wip_sketches.jpg

The Flower Dragon is a rare member of the Mantidae Family closely related to the Mantis. They live in large flowers and spend most of the day waiting for prey. They cut the stigma of the flower off with their back feet and then use the modified antenna to lure prey in.

wip2.jpg

flower_dragon_glam1.png

flower_dragon_glam2.png

flower_dragon_glam3.png

flower_dragon_glam4.png

side_detail.png

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6990.0;attach=12188;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6971.0;attach=12144;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6971.0;attach=12145;image