Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ancient Pool Environment-AKA Noob Challenge 4

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
Wow so I'm a bit nervous. It's been a long time (Febuaury 2012) since I posted any new personal work on Polycount. Life gets in the way, and we'll leave it at that.

Here's 3 screenshots from what I'm considering a "beta" version of the environment. I would love the community's feedback-I've been more of a lurker the past few months than anything but considering I started posting here in 2010 it's crazy how awesome and large the community has grown. Everyone rocks here.

Alright, enough blabbering. Art. Again all the comments and critiques in the world are appreciated.

Level_Shot_10.jpg
Level_Shot_10_a.jpg

Replies

• Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Good job so far, what I am missing though is a clear focal point. Cant really find anything to focus on. Just something in the middle of the picture to take my attention would work wonders.

And also id say that the water looks rather bland right now. Try to get some reflections from the room, so that it actually looks like the water is in the same room as the pic.

Other than that I got nothing more to add than keep at it! =)
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, saw this on WAYWO thread! Nice to see there is someone who made an old Monthly Noob Challenge. I just finish it in last month too :D

As the guy said: there is no focal point in there.
    As for the water: this is the pond, not the ocean :D Keep the water easy/slow/idk any other word for this (english it's not my primary language).

Those pillars cant stand in that way: Maybe they are too beveled on the corners (upper and lower corners). But it's ok. Pillars on the concept was the wrong idea. Maybe just for decorate the room.

What is with the entrance: is this made of gold? Why this is so bright?

Rest is fine I think! Congrats on finishing this :D
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I wonder if adjusting the scroll speeds in conjunction with a new normal map will help the micro ocean I have going on. I will look into using a real time reflrction too,right now it reflects a cube map.

Focal point, got it. Looks like some form of the statue is coming back!

And yea, door is gold. That's how I read the concept. It's a bit bloomy so I'll see what a few shader value changes do for it.

Thanks, keep em coming!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    New update. I'll have one more once I get the center piece in-probably by the end of the week. I adjusted the FoV to 85 for a wider shot and it really makes a difference.

I do have a Real Time reflection on the water but it apparently doesn't like tiledshot. Looking into a fix/taking a lower quality shot w/ high AA as well.

All critiques are appreciated!

Level_Shot_11_b.jpg

Level_Shot_11.jpg

Level_Shot_11_a.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hey saw this on WAYWO and thinks its looking cool but I think the lighting is a bit flat which seems to be drawing the eye away from what you want. Something to try doing is darken the room and focus more of the light coming in through the roof and scattering that yellowish light across the pools of shadows. I think that would help, will try and make a crappy paintover to illustrate my point later.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    A paintover would be awesome! I could really use the visual.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hope the colors come out okay might be too dark :S Quick paintover to see what I was talking about.

Paintover.png

One thing to watch out for is the black grunge on the ceiling
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paint over haiddasalami. That change makes a huge difference. I want to think that the ceiling might be less of a problem in the actual scene since I don't have too much grunge on the ceiling but if I do I'll go back to the texture and fix it.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    This guy is done. I was going to add some extra effects but Lens Flares don't fit with the scene and I don't think this is a large enough space to justify some Bokeh Effects. I'm happy leaving everything clear and easy to read.

Shot2.jpg